Do 10-8 rounds have an objective frame of reference?

countswagula

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I get this a lot when arguing whether a certain round in a fight was a 10-8 or not. People usually say "But he didn't do enough damage/dominate enough for it to really be considered a 10-8". Personally, I think that point of view defeats the whole purpose of having 10-8 rounds, which is to distinguish the levels of dominance with which a fight was won. If a fighter won a round in more dominant fashion than he lost others, shouldn't that be reflected on the overall judging of the fight? Isn't that the whole point?

That's the problem. No one can say for certain what constitutes a 10-8. That's why they are rare. How domanant does a fighter have to be? What if a submission is locked in right before the bell? Should that be 10-8? Most judges will stay away from a 10-8 unless its so lop sided that they are almost forced to score it that way

It sucks because fighter A can dominate round 1, but barely lose a even round 2, and be dead even on the score cards . But that's prize fighting untill someone comes up with a better way

It sucks because fighter A can dominate round 1, but barely lose a even round 2, and be dead even on the score cards . But that's prize fighting untill someone comes up with a better way

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. 10-8s should be used to acknowledge a round was dominant in relation to other rounds in that same fight, not in relation to some borderline fictional idea of dominantion.

Back