DLR / Berimbolo defense recounter?

Punchmaster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have encountered this problem a few times in my attempts to berimbolo, and lately even DLR, dudes. Essentially, I get my DLR hook, I grab their ankle with one hand, and their belt with the other. Then I start trying to push their hip or knee to turn them sideways, or I push on their nearside-hip to tip them over for the berimbolo.

However, recently dudes have been grabbing up my non-DLR leg in an ankle lock, both during the berimbolo and just generally during my DLR efforts. Since I've got one of their legs neutralized (DLR Hook and grabbing the ankle), it does make things more difficult for them, since they can't use that leg to control me. In our gym we allow reaping in the gi, so sometimes this leads to them reaping with their free leg to get better control, which makes things even weirder.

I've tried berimbolo-ing through their attempt, but when the reaping starts we end up in weird positions, and one time I almost got heel hooked halfway through (we also allow heel hooks in the gi).

Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of things? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Is there a re-counter to their counter? Sometimes I can protect my leg by butterfly hooking their non-DLR leg, and then lifting them over my head to try and knock them down to berimbolo. But other times I'm not fast enough to get that hook before they wrap it up (it is very fast!). When unimpeded I'm usually able to hit the berimbolo, and correctly end up in back control, so I don't think that it is a spinning issue, though once they have the ankle lock maybe I'm messing up. I look forward to your responses!

Get a sleeve grip when you're in DLR. This nips the ankle lock attacks in the bud.

stop doing berimbolo..

kiddin'

no, seriously. stop

Get a sleeve grip when you're in DLR. This nips the ankle lock attacks in the bud.

That does help when I can get it, and I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. However, when they get to my ankle before I can get to their sleeve, am I what's known as "boned"? Similarly, in a no-gi environment, where I just rely on gripping their ankle, their nearside arm (as opposed to the far arm that these days does the ankle locking), and the DLR hook, am I boned as well there?

Again, appreciate the help gents.

Edit: Also, to keep my good name from being slandered, I only work DLR and Berimbolo when I get taken down during my attempts at taking the other dude down. I simply find DLR to be my best guard. So, don't tear my life into pieces; this is my last resort.

That does help when I can get it, and I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. However, when they get to my ankle before I can get to their sleeve, am I what's known as "boned"? Similarly, in a no-gi environment, where I just rely on gripping their ankle, their nearside arm (as opposed to the far arm that these days does the ankle locking), and the DLR hook, am I boned as well there?

Edit: Also, to keep my good name from being slandered, I only work DLR and Berimbolo when I get taken down during my attempts at taking the other dude down. I simply find DLR to be my best guard. So, don't tear my life into pieces; this is my last resort.

When I play the berimbolo or whatever de la riva attack that require to do so, I just keep the non-de la riva hook glued to the nearest hip of the guy. From there, unless I'm rolling with some leglock wizard, if somebody try to achilles lock that leg he have to spend a good amount of time/struggles in separating that leg, that usually gives me the time to complete the sweep or the back take, or to give up de la riva and defend the leg in the worst case scenario.. but it seems you are already doing so, so I don't know, I remember eating some ankle locks when I was lazier with that hook, but not now. Maybe the fact reaping is allowed is playing some important role too.

Anyway, the sleeve suggestion by Balto (sorry, I meant Redaxe :icon_lol:) is very good. You can watch some Rodolfo matches like the one with Leo Leite in Metamoris to get a good idea.

p.s.: Nothing shameful in berimboloing. For years people did spider guard or x-guard or other guards less fit to self defense-MMA... yet there wasn't half the hate there is for berimbolo.

Last edited:

It generally takes both arms to do an effective ankle lock so I wouldn't say you're boned if you only control the near arm.

Between a combination of keeping your free leg pressed against either his hip or his free knee at all times, and gripping at least one arm-sleeve, it should be pretty hard for him to ankle lock you.

Also, if he goes for the standing ankle lock full-on, another counter is to pull his collar and elbow down to break his posture, shoot your hips up, and go for a triangle or omoplata.

p.s.: Nothing shameful in berimboloing. For years people did spider guard or x-guard or other guards less fit to self defense-MMA... yet there wasn't half the hate there is for berimbolo.

it's just a joke...keep doing whatever you guys do

The irony is that I started DLR because it was known as the "vale tudo guard". :/

Caio says keep your non-DLR-hooking foot behind the guy's far knee. Stops the leg drag and the ankle lock. If he circles toward you, plant that foot on the ground and maintain your angle.

Caio says keep your non-DLR-hooking foot behind the guy's far knee. Stops the leg drag and the ankle lock. If he circles toward you, plant that foot on the ground and maintain your angle.

I do that a lot. I keep it there until I hit my sweep and need to move that non-hooking leg.

Back