1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

DJ and Garbrant were the exact same weight on fight day

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Newave, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Newave

Newave Green Belt

So DJ fans say he should get more money to fight bantamweights like TJ and Garbrant who want to come down to 125 for a super fight, because supposedly they are much bigger guys, but this report says DJ and Garbrant weighed the exact same on fight night at UFC 227. I’ve always said the difference in size between the 125 and 135ers is very exaggerated by DJ fans. Here’s proof.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

2. Charnel2500

Charnel2500 Blue Belt

Cody should try to move to 125. He will not get titleshot for a while in 135. So he should try to fight Cejudo or Pettis for title shot.

3. shortlefthook

shortlefthook 305 where I reside

He won't make 125 that easy despite being the same weight.
    Bmi is what counts Cody has more bone than cejudo and mm.
    Fighters with muscle n even fat can cut more water.

Mpower likes this.
  4. myjohnson9

myjohnson9 GOAT

Why is TJ picking on smaller guys for?

notori0us1, Newave and Übermacht like this.
  5. Krixes

Krixes Black Belt

Cody would do well at 125lbs imo, those dudes won't have the power to put him out as easily.

6. WeedLordBonerHitler

WeedLordBonerHitler This Ass Makes You Hit Like Double Yellow Card

Cody and DJ were the same weight? That is awesome maybe they can get matching period cycles too!

theTKDguy and BetoG695 like this.
  7. TinkleMan

TinkleMan Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I'm actually surprised dj weighs that much tbh

8. Übermacht

Übermacht ἅπαξ λεγόμενον

Agreed. His chin should hold up against pillow-fisted flyweights and his power would be unmatched.

bigmacbub and Nosferatu. like this.
  9. BBMN

BBMN Pancakes?!

"T.J. Dillashaw held a 7.5-pound weight advantage over Garbrandt..."

So you're telling me that TJ would have a 7.5lb advantage over Mouse.

So if they had fought that night, TJ would have had a 4" reach advantage, a 4" height advantage, and a 7+lb weight advantage....

It's almost like they're in totally different classes.

ChoKuRei and X Factor like this.
  10. OlderMan

OlderMan Purple Belt

Yes...Great Stats

Also.

I found it interesting that the largest Man come fight time Won in every case...EXCEPT DJ VS CEJUDO...
    I stand corrected........and I am totally surprised.

Main card (PPV)

T.J. Dillashaw (135 pounds to 149.5 pounds = 10.7%) def. Cody Garbrandt (134.7 to 142 = 5.2%)

Henry Cejudo (124.5 to 141 = 12.8%) def. Demetrious Johnson (125 to 142 = 13.6%)

Renato Moicano (146 to 165.5 = 13.4%) def. Cub Swanson (145.2 to 160.5 = 9.9%)

J.J. Aldrich (115.8 to 130.5 = 12.5%) def. Polyana Viana (115 to 129.5 = 11.6%)

Thiago Santos (185.5 to 209.5 = 12.6%) def. Kevin Holland (184.7 to 193 = 3.8%)

11. GSP_37

GSP_37 Steel Belt

Cody did look weaker and flabbier than TJ.

OlderMan likes this.
  12. Newave

Newave Green Belt

That’s not a good argument. Guys who fight in the same weight class regularly have a five pound or more weight difference between them on fight night (case in point, Cody & TJ), and regularly have different height and reach. DJ has already fought people at 125 with similar reach and weight advantages come fight night.

Besides, you’re completely ignoring the fact that TJ only cut to 135 on Saturday. If he had cut to 125 he would have been similar to DJ weight on fight night after the rehydration.

bigmacbub likes this.
  13. GreatWhiteBuffalo

GreatWhiteBuffalo Banned Banned

Chin fades with a heavier water cut.

OlderMan and ChopToTheButt like this.
  14. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

/thread

BBMN likes this.
  15. Billy_Beer

Billy_Beer Green Belt Platinum Member

both look dysmorphic so it makes sense somehow

16. Draxton

Draxton Skinny white guy belt

{<redford}

17. 90 50

90 50 Silver Belt

Dat av

18. BBMN

BBMN Pancakes?!

I didn't actually argue anything.

You're operating under the assumption that TJ can at most hit 10% (increase in weight between weigh-ins and fight time), despite the fact that it's completely within the realm of possibility that a fighter can hit over 15%, as 10% is not even noteworthy. If he was able to hit 15% at 125 we are looking at 143 to DJ's 142. In this case he is still taller, longer, and heavier.

While you're right that the two would be of more comparable size, TJ would still be larger in every metric. Because he's larger.

Even if DJ was heavier by a pound or so, TJ would still be able to out reach him in striking, and DJ would have to punch up to find the chin. The weight would be less important than the extreme weight cut that allows a man that has a much larger frame to fight a man with a smaller frame. That's the issue people have with extreme cutting. The fight is less determined by skill, than overall size.

And let's be real. A pound isn't going to be a big deciding factor. But 4" height and 4" reach will be.

And I still don't even understand the whole fucking conversation... DJ already agreed to the fight. This is old news. He had to postpone because of shoulder surgery, and then Dana never came back around and just went to Cody by the time DJ was healed. Everyone is getting upset at DJ for not agreeing to do a fight he agreed to.

[​IMG]

Holy fuck balls I'm over this entire fucking topic... (less to do with you and more to do with the fact that it's still a talking point months later...)

19. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Red Belt

cody should go to 125 since he aint touching tj for a long time

his chin will have an easier time at 125 plus his power might carry over somewhat. he'll be one of the hardest hitters and prob the best striker in the division

Nosferatu. likes this.
  20. Newave

Newave Green Belt

Unfortunately there’s no height and reach weight classes. Those metrics vary in every weight class and all shorter fighters have to deal with them.

And I don’t believe DJs story that he accepted the fight, he’s leaving out details. He agreed to fight for a certain amount of money, the UFC didn’t like the number, and negotiations stalled. That’s when he got surgery and Dana moved on to making the Cody fight. He’s using tricky word play to make it look like he accepted that fight lol.

And I get you being over the topic, but this info about he abc Cody’s weights was very revealing and an important piece to this whole debate regarding weights and super fights in the future.

bigmacbub likes this.