1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Dizziness and vertigo after North-south choke

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by GoatArtemLobov, Jan 9, 2020.

1. GoatArtemLobov Brown Belt

I got put in a ns choke yesterday by my instructor and it was a pretty hard choke and I heard my neck crack.
    I wasn't worried at the beginning, I'm used to this, sometimes chokes, especially those ones (anacondas, ns chokes, darces, arm triangles etc.), are hard on the neck.
    But after the training, I started to have vertigo, dizziness, and even problems with balance and concentration (reading etc. felt unusually hard…)
    So here are my questions:
    Has this ever happened to one of you?
    Can a neck injury cause brain damage (that is actually the only thing I'm concerned about)?
    Now the neck pain has almost gone but the other symptoms haven't at all...

2. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

It could be anything from an aneurism to nothing at all. The fact that you have neurological symptoms a day after means you should definitely go to the doctor just to be safe.

3. Your Noodly Master Selfish and shitty attitude

Sometimes dehydration after hard training and/or being choked causes me some dizziness for up to an hour or so, but never until the next day. What's your age and general physical condition? What the crack in your neck painful or just noise?

4. Deltafarce Green Belt

Could the choke put some pressure on your ear ? I’ve had vertigo after getting popped in the ear

5. wufabufa Silver Belt

Almost sounds like vertebral artery insufficiency or cervical vertigo(which has been attributed to tons of different pathologies). Really sounds like something was injured in your neck after that choke and if something is causing poor circulation through that artery then you really need to get it checked out.

I'm not saying to start whipping your head around to find positions that exacerbate your symptoms.....but do you recall certain positions making it worse? Especially titling your head back?

6. Samjj Green Belt

go to your nearest emergency department.. neurological symptoms following trauma to your neck should not be taken lightly. I hope they haven't worsened since you posted this.

7. Samjj Green Belt

very unlikey a young person has arteriosclerosis significant enough to precipitate such symptoms + history of an acute precipitating trauma does not match the natural history of said disease...now a vertebral artery dissection would.

8. wufabufa Silver Belt

Yeah I'm not jumping to an occluded artery due to atherosclerosis. Not impossible, but like you said not likely at all.

9. INTERL0PER Brown Belt

Go to a doctor.

Always blows me away when I see people online with serious medical issues asking fucking Sherdog of all places for advice.

You heard a crack in your neck while getting choked, you’re now experiencing dizziness and vertigo. That is not to be trifled with. I got a bulged disc in my neck which put me off the mats for 8 months, and it could’ve been much worse had I ignored it. Like, permanent nerve damage worse.

Go. To. A. Doctor.

10. GoatArtemLobov Brown Belt

I went to my doctor today who told me that, if the carotid artery was dissected, I would already have had a stroke.
    The neurological problems are better now.
    Maybe I was a little bit freaked out because of stories I saw on the Internet with people having a stroke after getting choked...
    I will make an Mri of the neck to be sure though.
    Thanks for your support guys.