DIY Heavy Bag Stand

I--Zwelp--I

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
At first I had a wallmount installed, but my neighbour was complaining the walls were shaking a lot, so I had to find an alternative.
I was looking for a normal heavy bag stand, but I dind't like them.
And then I stumbled upon this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/building-your-own-heavy-duty-bag-stand.1825269/
and I knew immediatly "Damn, I have to build this thing!"
So I did it about a month ago and I really like it a lot! <cheer>

For any of you guys who have some free room available, but for some reason don't want to or can't put holes in the walls or ceiling. This is what you need!

1_zpscyxitz5f.jpg

2_zps8zdfmems.jpg

3_zpswtx2rxra.jpg

4_zpsuvrkgise.jpg

I would say this is about the minimum size if you also want to throw kicks, I was restricted trough the size of the room, but if you can go a bit bigger, you'll have more space to work around the heavy bag. I also didn't use the concrete footing, because I was scared to kick them because of the size restriction...
The stucture moves around and shakes a little bit, but not that much that it worries me breaking down.
The whole structure costed me around 150 €. A normal heavy bag stand would have cost around 180 €, most of them only support a 30kg heavy bag, mine is 50kg. I couldn't have moved 360° around the bag and I would have been scared to kick the metal bars that go at the sides of the bag.
That's a win in my book!

Here's a parts list for what I used:

4 wooden beams 245 x 8,5 x 8,5 cm for the posts
2 wooden beams 220 x 8,5 x 8,5 cm for the sides
3 wooden beams 270 x 8,5 x 8,5 cm for the top beams
8 wooden beams 100 x 8,5 x 8,5 cm for the cross beams
10 angled irons for the corners
20 screws M10 6cm for the angled irons (and some smaller screws)
16 screws M10 12cm for the crossbeams

I first drilled the crossbeams trough and then screwed them to the vertical posts to really tighten it all together.

5_zpsakmnvi9v.jpg

I am not exactly what they call a handyman, but it wasn't hard to build at all and it does the job well!

Have fun building guys!

Last edited:
Thanks... Credit to codiak55 for the idea :) I had copied the wrong link before.. Edited

There's nothing reinforcing the feet? Seems like it could get pushed around and damage the floor.

I like how you got the spring to help reduce the vibration and power. But you can get a better hook. Get another beam this.

https://www.titleboxing.com/fighting-sports-heavy-bag-joist-mount?gclid=CNecz9Ow99ECFQ9rfgodVsoN4A

It helps reduce additional force. With 2 beams it reduces the power by half. You can also add additional support to the 2 beams. I'd say what you have now is very minimal. Add more wood to reduce shaking/vibrations.

Thanks for the feedback :)

As for now I think it's solid enough, but I'll make sure to check if everything stays solid enough and re-adjust accordingly. But probably a good thing I don't expect Mike Tyson coming over any time soon, 'cause he'll probably wreck it instantly.

I'll keep that hook in mind though, I've never seen it before, and it sounds like it's real nice too further reduce the wiggle of the structure.

There's nothing reinforcing the feet? Seems like it could get pushed around and damage the floor.

Normally I would have used buckets of concrete for the feet. But when I kick the bag my foot is already real close to the posts, if I put concrete around it I worry breaking my left pinky toe switchkicking the concrete instead of the bag ^^

After a couple of training sessions I've noticed the frame moved a little bit, but not much. As for the floor itself it's not real wood but only a cheap linolium. The floor itself should be sturdy enough I think.
Going to add some small rubber mats to put underneath the posts.
And later on I would like to add BJJ puzzle matts to the room, although it's a small space to roll around (about 6 m2)

Back