Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition - anyone playing?

Any updates for us on your experience, E?

I'm thinking of picking it up after reading elsewhere how little it holds your hand; really could use a game of the nature right now – similar to the roadless agency Soulsborne titles afforded us. Everything lately has just been a spoonfeeding.

Turn-based combat was the biz when I was younger but haven't played the style in over 10 years. I'm worried about not being able to get back into it and having a new paperweight.

I got halfway through it before a slew of games came out (RDR, Assassins creed, dark souls on Switch, Pokemon, Shenmue) pulled me away. If you've played the first it's a lot of the same.

I remember some people complaining about the three health bars: armor/magic armor and health. They were unhappy because it messes with the classic RPG approach of ccing powerful enemies at the beginning while taking out weaker enemies.

In this game, you can't crowd control anyone until you've knocked out either their physical or magic armor. So crowd control is an important factor, but it's not available to you until you've dumped some damage first.

Personally, the new system was still fun. I felt like it forced me to make use of combo damage to knock out specific types of shields; some enemies have very little physical armor but a lot of magic armor and vice versa. And that could be somewhat challenging because I prefer playing with two lone wolf characters instead of 4. The upside being that each is more durable, but I have less variety in terms of offense.
Yeah, to be honest that's why I liked the combat system in the Banner Saga so much. It took some learning, but you were also rewarded for thinking about your builds. I have the -33% coupon for Divinity 2 Definitive and I think I might do it.

My only issue with the physical/magic armor is that it discourages a balanced party. To take down armor the fastest you'll want to focus on either magic or physical damage, not both. I've been playing on the hard difficulty with 2 magic users/2 physical damage and it's been rough going.

I can’t get this game to work on my surface book. Anytime I save the game crashes. Now I’ll have to buy it again on console.

I wanna try one of those isometric throwback RPG's. This or Pillars Of Eternity?
I think I prefer POE's artstyle over this, but I'm not sure which I would like more gameplay wise ...

I wanna try one of those isometric throwback RPG's. This or Pillars Of Eternity?
I think I prefer POE's artstyle over this, but I'm not sure which I would like more gameplay wise ...

I haven't played Divinty so I can't say. What I do know is that the story for these games hasn't always been the best but #2 is supposed to be better than #1.

POE I have played and beat and it was an amazing game. The main story is great, the choices are awesome, and you can save transfer to POE2. So some stuff gets carried over. The characters were interesting and you genuinely wanted to see how their back stories played out and it takes a really good side quest to get me to do it otherwise I always skip them. Combat was great and fun but punished you for not approaching it carefully or with some sort of strategy.

If you are looking for that old school Baldurs Gate feel then POE is your game but as someone who played both i felt that the combat bored me quick in POE.

Now in terms of combat, DOS2 is much better beacuse of the skills feeling more impactful and the fact that you can use your surroundings and elements (the enemy is standing on a oil puddle? use a firespell to light him up) to your advantage to win a fight. POE has this classic pause micromanage type of combat which im not a fan of.

In terms of story i give it to POE but that doesnt mean DOS2 is bad in that regard. POE has this more serious and dark tone to it while DOS2 is abit more lighthearted.

Last edited:
I just downloaded it cuz I kept hearing good things....and it was on sale for 24 bucks

I will eventually. I'm not paying $50-$60 for a top down RPG though. Not that it possibly isn't worth it, I just don't know how much I'll personally get out of it. Tried to get into that "Wasteland 2" game a while back. Couldn't.

Can't ignore the high praise though. I'm sure it's earned it.

This game is amazing. I ignored it for a long time as I'm really NOT a fan of fantasy setting in rpg's. I've really been missing out as the turn-based combat and character development in this game are second to none. Fully voice acted dialog in top-down game is also something new.

It's a classic. Divinity: OS 2 and Witcher 3 were the best RPGs those few years.

I really dig the humor and interactivity with Divinity. The combat is the meat and potatoes, though. Each battle is an elemental chess match, especially on harder difficulties.

Last edited:
It's a classic. Divinity: OS 2 and Witcher 3 were the best RPGs that year.

I really dig the humor and interactivity with Divinity. The combat is the meat and potatoes, though. Each battle is an elemental chess match, especially on harder difficulties.

Doing my second playthrough, this time as Fane. God, it's so good. Rich and detailed world, immensely strategic and difficult combat, awesome dialogue and music, Countless ways to approach situations, and they've been adding to it for 3 years now.

It smashes Witcher 3 in any sort of comparison for RPG of the decade imho.

Doing my second playthrough, this time as Fane. God, it's so good. Rich and detailed world, immensely strategic and difficult combat, awesome dialogue and music, Countless ways to approach situations, and they've been adding to it for 3 years now.

I love the animal perk. Most of the fun I had was talking to dogs, squirrels, etc.

There's some cheap stuff you can abuse, and it's absolutely worth it when playing on tactician. Early game is rough on that difficulty though.

It's a classic. Divinity: OS 2 and Witcher 3 were the best RPGs that year.

Whoa whoa fellas fellas. Witcher 3? Divinity is really that good? I'm not doubting you guys at all. I've heard excellent things about it. I got the first one as a gift a while back. Really sucked at it and it was before I got my ps4. As for the second one... How is it better than witcher 3? I'm not challenging you, I'm just trying to start a friendly discussion. Hopefully you can convince me to buy the game when I get a chance. I'm just curious to see where it beats witcher and how. Because call me a fanboy but the idea of anything beating witcher at least until cyberpunk, blows my mind. (ps don't bring up souls and soulslike games as examples of "superior games", the only one I like is nioh) but yeah really curious to hear your brief breakdowns guys.

Whoa whoa fellas fellas. Witcher 3? Divinity is really that good? I'm not doubting you guys at all. I've heard excellent things about it. I got the first one as a gift a while back. Really sucked at it and it was before I got my ps4. As for the second one... How is it better than witcher 3? I'm not challenging you, I'm just trying to start a friendly discussion. Hopefully you can convince me to buy the game when I get a chance. I'm just curious to see where it beats witcher and how. Because call me a fanboy but the idea of anything beating witcher at least until cyberpunk, blows my mind. (ps don't bring up souls and soulslike games as examples of "superior games", the only one I like is nioh) but yeah really curious to hear your brief breakdowns guys.
Everything about the combat is more engaging (and I really like The Witcher 3). They're different genres, but still, the breadth of builds and tactical options that you have for each encounter is sort of bonkers. The best part is there really aren't any weak classes. If you set your character up right, every class can be a titan. There's also no open world fluff even though there's plenty of exploration; and although the game certainly isn't fully open world, it's still very nonlinear. As a result you get a much tighter experience in terms of pacing even though DOS2 is sill pretty long.

I'd say The Witcher 3 beats it everywhere else though.

Last edited:

From a role playing standpoint, there is no better game than DOS2. There are so many choices to make and ways to approach a problem (this includes “kill everything” approach as well) that you can’t experience everything the game has to offer in a single play through...

Even finding out the pre-made characters’ origin stories and backgrounds would take multiple play throughs (there are 6 main characters and you are restricted to 4 characters in a party, so you would be missing out on the stories of at least two of them).

There are even solutions to quests that you can only get with a specific “tag” or if you are a certain race. For example, Elves have a race specific ability where they can see the memories of the people they eat, and this can be used to complete quests, but since the other races don’t have that ability, they have to find an alternate way to finish it. Also, there are entire quests that won’t even be available to you unless you have a specific “tag” as well.

I’ve beaten the game several times and I have yet to even complete everyone’s origin story.

Last edited:
From a role playing standpoint, there is no better game than DOS2. There are so many choices to make and ways to approach a problem (this includes “kill everything” approach as well) that you can’t experience everything the game has to offer in a single play through...

Even finding out the pre-made characters’ origin stories and backgrounds would take multiple play throughs (there are 6 main characters and you are restricted to 4 characters in a party, so you would be missing out on the stories of at least two of them).

There are even solutions to quests that you can only get with a specific “tag” or if you are a certain race. For example, Elves have a race specific ability where they can see the memories of the people they eat, and this can be used to complete quests, but since the other races don’t have that ability, they have to find an alternate way to finish it. Also, there are entire quests that won’t even be available to you unless you have a specific “tag” as well.

I’ve beaten the game several times and I have yet to even complete everyone’s origin story.
I have a remarkably shitty laptop. It's pathetic and on its last leg. I got it 7 years back and it allowed me to play anything I liked on med settings until mid 2015. Can't afford another similar product atm, nor do I have the means to "build a pc" (love how people always casually tell me to build a pc, like every Tom, dick and harry has the means to). I do, however have a ps4, perfectly functional too. Would you recommend that I snag this on ps4? Is it the same as on pc? My favourite games were witcher and persona 5. I know the latter is a jrpg highschool Sim, but would that established would I like divinity? I got the impression that divinity original sin, the 2014 game was lit. I was just incompetent at it and gave up. Plus my files got corrupted.

I have a remarkably shitty laptop. It's pathetic and on its last leg. I got it 7 years back and it allowed me to play anything I liked on med settings until mid 2015. Can't afford another similar product atm, nor do I have the means to "build a pc" (love how people always casually tell me to build a pc, like every Tom, dick and harry has the means to). I do, however have a ps4, perfectly functional too. Would you recommend that I snag this on ps4? Is it the same as on pc? My favourite games were witcher and persona 5. I know the latter is a jrpg highschool Sim, but would that established would I like divinity? I got the impression that divinity original sin, the 2014 game was lit. I was just incompetent at it and gave up. Plus my files got corrupted.

I definitely recommend trying it. Just don't get turned off by the difficulty at first. It takes time to learn how to play it.

I would definitely put this in the different category than Witcher series as they are good in very different things (even tho both are rpg's). Witcher is good at telling a specific story while playing a specific character, but in OS2 the story is kinda built by your actions and characters.

I usually play it on PC, but I have it for PS4 as well because of the couch co-op feature (if you have someone to play local multiplayer with, you can actually play split screen)...

The only bad thing about it is that you miss out on mods and things like that.

But it controls well and still looks great.

Get it.

Back