Diving/faking needs to be dealt with harsher

scorpiorising

The world eater
@Brown
Reaction score
I dont understand why all sports do not deal with faking and diving harsher. Its a complete embarrassment to sports. The only reason players do it is because it works and there are little to no consequences for doing it.

Worst sports that come to mind. Pardon my limited knowledge of soccer and basketball im not a fan because of the diving.

1. Soccer.
Beautiful sport, unlimited skill, top athletes, terrible actors. Its literally everywhere. Its so fucking bad. Id enjoy the sport if Mario DeLuigi or whoever wasn't running down the pitch weaving in and out and inbetween only to get to the box and superman dive head first when the defender blink at him. Then he lays on the field like he just got JFK'D only to jump to his feet and congratulate the ref on a good call.
"I went to a diving competition and a soccer game broke out"

2. NBA
Used to be a man's game. Seems like everyone's just shooting from the outside because every time someone gets close to the rim, some 8'10 300lbs man made of steel gets blown over by a gust of wind. Its so boring now. Watching a legend like LeBron flip flop like a wet noodle is makes me cringe.

3. Hockey
My favourite sport but it is getting worse by the year. NHL 'tried' to tackle the problem by assessing diving calls and suspensions q few years ago but they seemed to have mostly stopped. Its a little trickier to see some of them but its getting out of hand. Players just feel the smallest tap and the act like they're shot.

A player will turn his back at the absolute last second because you can't hit them from behind. When they feel even the slightest anything they throw themselves into the boards. Or a tap on the foot and they fall over like you sliced their Achilles heel.

Why are sports not even attempting to deal with this? Everyone just says its 'part of the game.'

Its not, its cheating and its only part of the game because the leagues allow it. Suspend players.

Soccer is just embarrassing about it. It's one thing to take a dive, but do you have to accompany it with an Oscar worthy performance? It's so utterly pathetic. It's not just a one off here and there, like you see in other sports. Selling that you're nearly dead after taking a dive is ingrained in the culture of the sport. It's ridiculous.

Only other sport I really have a problem with is the NBA, and it's not so much about diving, as it is part of the sport to take charges. You do have to let yourself get run into and offer no resistance in some cases, or else you're the one getting the foul. What I don't like is the bullshit stuff guys like Steph Curry do, where he literally leans into a shot blocker intentionally on the three point line to get a foul call. That is manipulating the system, and it's so stupid why it hasn't been addressed. That should be a technical foul in itself. No, your shot was not interfered with. You literally leaned into the defender and caused the contact.

Outside of the outladish acting in European "sports" it's hard to enforce due to a slippery slope of what is, and what isn't. But I agree with you

Diving in Divegrass isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. I can already tell when someone doesn't watch it by their bitching about it. It still happens, sure, but it's almost at the point where refs are overlooking clear fouls because of a player or team's reputation. Game is already less physical and players are more skilled and better coached, so you see it less at the top level. Fans also hold players way more accountable on social media.

NBA is by far the worst and has been since Bosh.

Diving in Divegrass isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. I can already tell when someone doesn't watch it by their bitching about it. It still happens, sure, but it's almost at the point where refs are overlooking clear fouls because of a player or team's reputation. Game is already less physical and players are more skilled and better coached, so you see it less at the top level. Fans also hold players way more accountable on social media.

NBA is by far the worst and has been since Bosh.
The NBA is getting out of hand and players like Beverly, Mahcus Smaht, Cp0, and the Goat Kyle Lowry are getting praised for their defense while performing Leo level flops. And no. I don't watch soccer

I would rank it like this:

1. Diving
2. NBA
3. Soccer
4. Hockey
5. Tennis

iu

Flopping is more frequent in basketball than it is in soccer, and that's been true for decades now. Guys like Bill Laimbeer, Vlade Divac and Robert Horry were expert floppers.
If you look at the big 6 teams in the Premier League, the only starter with a reputation for flopping is Dele Alli. That's 1 out of 66 players.

nba players flop because the refs fall for it a lot. Its usually just about 3 seconds of crying then they get back to playing but on occasion its ridiculous. I do love when a guy falls to the floor trying to draw a foul and the refs dont call it and then the guy is left laying there like an idiot while play continues and his man scores. Soccer irks me more because they stop the game and address the flops for like 5 minutes while the players roll around.

I feel part of the problem with football/soccer is that going down has almost become something you have to do in order to force the ref into a decision, refs need to be more willing to give fouls when someone stays standing IMHO.

Soccer is my favourite sport by far, but definetly there are players that try to sell that contact way too much its embarrasing to watch sometimes...

My idea is that after the game guys that flop should get fined, not financially cause they earn way too much anyway, but they sholdnt be allowed to play the next game and such. Its only solution i can think of.

Although, people that didnt play soccer at least semi pro dont realize how hard some of those fouls are. Sliding into someones legs while runing can be seriously dangerous, with metal studs on them boots, ive seen plenty of career ending injuries from fouls that untrained eye would see as a complete flop.

Soccer is my favourite sport by far, but definetly there are players that try to sell that contact way too much its embarrasing to watch sometimes...

My idea is that after the game guys that flop should get fined, not financially cause they earn way too much anyway, but they sholdnt be allowed to play the next game and such. Its only solution i can think of.

Although, people that didnt play soccer at least semi pro dont realize how hard some of those fouls are. Sliding into someones legs while runing can be seriously dangerous, with metal studs on them boots, ive seen plenty of career ending injuries from fouls that untrained eye would see as a complete flop.

I agree 100%. Its hard to call live. I've reffed a few sports and you're paying attention to a lot, angles, etc.

After the game is fine. Review it and act accordingly. Your 3rd flagrant dive in a year span = 1 game penalty. Make a wall of shame for shits and giggles.

soccer isn't even a real sport. it's glorified marathon running with a kickball.

the flopping in the NBA, particularly with LeFlop James, is why he will never be the GOAT.

and hockey. fucking failed figure skaters playing with sticks.

soccer isn't even a real sport. it's glorified marathon running with a kickball.

the flopping in the NBA, particularly with LeFlop James, is why he will never be the GOAT.

and hockey. fucking failed figure skaters playing with sticks.
Sounds like a hand egg fan. We all love 10 seconds of action every 5 mins, but yeah you're take on kickball is so wrong. They aren't running marathons .most of the time they are standing around in the middle of the lawn. There's a good chance European football is worse than American "foot" ball

Sounds like a hand egg fan. We all love 10 seconds of action every 5 mins, but yeah you're take on kickball is so wrong. They aren't running marathons .most of the time they are standing around in the middle of the lawn. There's a good chance European football is worse than American "foot" ball

Never said American football wasn't just as absurd. got guys that fake injuries just as badly as soccer players. and you're right, hand egg is about ten seconds of action followed by some fat dudes standing around and 5 minutes of commercials between every play. it's why i don't really watch it anymore.

Never said American football wasn't just as absurd. got guys that fake injuries just as badly as soccer players. and you're right, hand egg is about ten seconds of action followed by some fat dudes standing around and 5 minutes of commercials between every play. it's why i don't really watch it anymore.
So..you don't like sports? You're posting in the sports bar bro

I like sports. Well, I mean, I used to more than I do now. And you can like something while acknowledging it's failings and deficiencies.
That's true..I'm a huge ball fan but can't fucking stand the BLM and liberal pandering..

Different cultures of these sports(especially Soccer) allow different leniency with such things.. We see less harsh treatment for diving in Spanish League than Premier League..

Similar argument could be had for stopping fights in Ice Hockey.

Flopping is more frequent in basketball than it is in soccer, and that's been true for decades now. Guys like Bill Laimbeer, Vlade Divac and Robert Horry were expert floppers.
If you look at the big 6 teams in the Premier League, the only starter with a reputation for flopping is Dele Alli. That's 1 out of 66 players.

Back