Disrespectful?

Again this really doesnt support your point or pertain to mine.

Of course I pay for the personal trainer, and it's an exchange of goods and services, done. But I dont pay the personal trainer to be my workout buddy, nor do I even have a workout buddy, nor do I interrupt peoples workouts to help me with mine.

Working in is not the same as rolling. In rolling he is necessarily involved with your sloppy jiu jitsu, and he is burdened by it because it is time that he can never get back. If you're working in, you're doing your sets while he's resting...aka, doing nothing.

The rule is this at my academy: " In general, you aren't supposed to ask higher belts to spar, and you aren't supposed to refuse higher belts when they ask you. Of course, if you know the guys and train with them regularly, this isn't the case, but in Brazil you generally don't do that."

"...you aren't supposed to ask higher belts to spar..."

To spar. Meaning you can ask them questions. If it's open mat, and they arent rolling, you can ask them to go over a technique and teach you this stuff, but sparring is another story, and that's where my arguement for 'disrespect' comes into play.

It should work the same in reverse. You say at you're academy you aren't supposed to refuse higher belts? If you don't wanna roll because you're so much better, or don't wanna roll cause you don't wanna get pwned, either way you should just say no, and nobody should get offended. Just because someone has a purple-black belt doesn't make them so much higher or more important that they should be offended by such a harmless question.

Some people do have workout partners, I personally would rather lift with my muscular friends since they are obviously knowledgeable. Same with BJJ. I have no problem drilling with anyone, a body is a body, I run through drills and roll with my girlfriend who weighs 115 lbs. and couldn't tap a goat.

I train at a small gym, so we don't really have an influx of new students, but I agree with not hoarding. If I was a higher level belt I would pair similar skill levels and float through class correcting as needed, and if someone wanted roll with me I would just say, "not right now", "later", "no" or "keep drilling".

Where do you train?

Does CCi still run a BJJ program? I talked to a guy the other day who went to check them out and he thought the dude he talked to was a little......unfriendly.

It should work the same in reverse. You say at you're academy you aren't supposed to refuse higher belts? If you don't wanna roll because you're so much better, or don't wanna roll cause you don't wanna get pwned, either way you should just say no, and nobody should get offended. Just because someone has a purple-black belt doesn't make them so much higher or more important that they should be offended by such a harmless question.

Some people do have workout partners, I personally would rather lift with my muscular friends since they are obviously knowledgeable. Same with BJJ. I have no problem drilling with anyone, a body is a body, I run through drills and roll with my girlfriend who weighs 115 lbs. and couldn't tap a goat.

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone offended by this action. Annoyed perhaps, frustrated probably, burdened, definitely.

The fact that they are better students does hold weight with many people in that, the instructor gives you everything he can, and they've given so much to the instructor as students. Loyalty works both ways, and the rules of the academy should reflect this.

I dont know what else I could say to make you see the point of view of the people who made this rule.

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone offended by this action. Annoyed perhaps, frustrated probably, burdened, definitely.

The fact that they are better students does hold weight with many people in that, the instructor gives you everything he can, and they've given so much to the instructor as students. Loyalty works both ways, and the rules of the academy should reflect this.

I dont know what else I could say to make you see the point of view of the people who made this rule.

If they feel disrespected then they should be offended. If they aren't offended then I don't see that they take it as disrespect.

I'm in a small club (Judo) and we make sure everyone gets to randori with everyone. I realize this might not be practical in larger clubs. When its my turn to work with the new WB (I'm a brown) I focus on working techniques that I need work on so I can get something out of the training as well, unless of course said WB spazzes then I "teach" him with some of my favorite waza but always accompany it with a lesson after the big fall.

However I'm not going to criticize the rules of someone else's club. Part of joining a club means you accept that teacher's rules. If you do not agree with those rules you should find another club. If you don't have any other options then you have to suck it up and be a man about it if you want to continue to train.

this seem like the drill with hazzing at schools, everybody hates it but they go on and torture freshmen anyway because they got hazzed themselves

People complain about spazzs all the time rolling with higher belts to learn how to act seems liek a good way to get rid of such a problem

this seem like the drill with hazzing at schools, everybody hates it but they go on and torture freshmen anyway because they got hazzed themselves

People complain about spazzs all the time rolling with higher belts to learn how to act seems liek a good way to get rid of such a problem

At my club the whitebelts don't get pounded too bad. Nor do the Oranges. Aside from the occasional positive re-enforcement (accompanied with throw), as in "You will positivly never do that again!"

Green Belt on the other hand is called the "Pain Belt". Green means Go! Just to explain how it works at my club: Green belts are the ones that know when to bail out on a throw, how not kill their partner with sloppy technique, and are expected to give the Sankyu's a good workout.

wtf not where I come from...Scarola has a website? his career is over after that not so TUF moment of his.

But I do wish him the best I hope hes still with that girl.

how do you know his career is over?

wtf not where I come from...Scarola has a website? his career is over after that not so TUF moment of his.

As pro in the UFC maybe, but from what I understand he's still a very successful BJJ instructor. I think our very own Mikey Triangles is one of Joey students if I'm not mistaken.

As pro in the UFC maybe, but from what I understand he's still a very successful BJJ instructor. I think our very own Mikey Triangles is one of Joey students if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE

I did a private lesson with Joe Scarolla last time that I was with Mikey Triangles. He's a very gifted instructor and has alot to offer the BJJ community.

He's doing a seminar at Mikey's gym (RedBoy Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) on Sunday, 4/27 from 1-3pm. It's RedBoy's 1yr anniversary of being open.

I never ask a purple belt or higher to roll with me, but I've seen it done alot. In my experience, the higher belt usually takes it as he/she is being challanged and the lower belt gets a beating accordingly. I found that it was better to make it known that I was avaliable instead, just out of respect,

i was just kiddin bout career bein over, but man hes an idiot for that move on tuf

I dont watch TUF and people talk about the incident all the time.

What happened and what is the deal between him and Serra?

I dont watch TUF and people talk about the incident all the time.

What happened and what is the deal between him and Serra?

Well he had a girlfriend for 6th months before the show, some guy was trying to fuck her, so he left the show.

YYYYYYYYeah

Well he had a girlfriend for 6th months before the show, some guy was trying to fuck her, so he left the show.

YYYYYYYYeah

Uhhh...explain to me how that makes sense...

If your gf is cheating on you its for one of two reasons: either she's a slut OR you're just not fucking her right (or both.) No need to make a big deal from it or make yourself look like a complete tool on national TV.

Back