Disputed Champion of The World

Only one of the challengers was in the fight on merit anyway, and he won. There is no dispute. Who has a better claim? Chetr? He hasn't earned a title shot yet, and he cheated in the shot he was gifted.

He can do whatever he wants with his fake belt and I can say whatever I want about it.

As for your other comment, they do ask and most MMA fighters have enough integrity to carry on after low blows, eye pokes etc. if they actually can. Sterling was clearly fine and able to continue, but decided to win the belt that way.
Belt seems legit to me and he did win Yan lost.

have you seen a definition of paper champ in wikipedia or a dictionary? someone should put a picture of Aljo there.

DQ wins count just the same, this topic has been beaten to death, they will fight again eventually.

Didn't some guys actually get belts without fighting for them when they created new weight classes?

He can do whatever he wants with his fake belt and I can say whatever I want about it.

As for your other comment, they do ask and most MMA fighters have enough integrity to carry on after low blows, eye pokes etc. if they actually can. Sterling was clearly fine and able to continue, but decided to win the belt that way.
Oh for crying out loud. This argument. Dude got rocked in the head. Define “ok” to continue. Absolutely a shot like that would have decreased his effectiveness moving forward, and to ask him to continue to fight without his full arsenal against a killer like Yan is ridiculous and unsafe.

He was almost certainly concussed, and getting an immediate concussion after a prior one is a sure fire way to get CTE if not a brain bleed. I say that as a physician. An eye poke vs a vicious blow to the head have wildly different ramifications.

I agree sterling should have just avoided the tour he put on after. But that doesn’t change anything about the fact that that fight should never have been allowed to continue. The doctor should always stop the fight after an illegal blow to the head that vicious. NFL players are not allowed to return after a concussion for good reason. Why should MMA be any different? If anything they should be more strict

what is “able to continue “? He took damage illegally. The damage was substantial enough that it compromised him and reduced his chances of winning. Why should he continue when it was his opponent who made that decision?

Pretty much every time the fighter continues after a major foul, they lose.
Look at chris tuchscherer vs gabriel gonzaga. Chris got his nuts hit so hard he was puking, and decided to continue to be a “warrior” and almost immediately got ko’d. It shouldn’t be the choice of the victim whether to continue or not. Refs need to take that heat off of them. Protect them from themselves.
The real reason you wanted Aljo to continue is that you assume Yan would win. If Aljo were clearly winning, you wouldn’t care and you would call Yan’s move a desperate cheap shot worthy of DQing. It shouldn’t matter about the motivation for the foul or the status of the bout. If someone does something illegal that clearly compromises their opponent, that’s it. DQ. It’s simple.
If you think Aljo is illegitimate, fine, but don’t blame Aljo. Blame Yan for doing something incredibly dumb.

The 1919 world series winners Cincinnati Reds, who beat the infamous Black Sox..

That was a 100% legit. Don't try to take away that much deserved championship.
signed
a 100% non partisan fellow who may or may not live in Cincinnati and absolutely would not be biased....scouts honor.
<4>

I'll take that as a 'no.'

The question in the thread was whether you can come up with example of more questionable champions. I didn’t see you bringing up any examples, so I’ll also take it as a ‘no’.

Didn’t expect that Sherdog is full of Sterling shills, very disappointing to learn that

The question in the thread was whether you can come up with example of more questionable champions. I didn’t see you bringing up any examples, so I’ll also take it as a ‘no’.

Why take it as a "no"? Is there any point to echoing preceding posts?

it's his belt and he can do whatever he wants with it.

btw what's stupider than getting your head caved in by an illegal blow and continuing to fight when you're under no obligation to? the fact they even ask these fighters if they want to continue is just a retarded ploy to make them take the blame if they don't. if it's deemed a disqualifying foul, then it should be an immediate dq loss for the offender, and neither fighter should have the right to say shit about it.

It blows my mind the standard procedure is to ask a fighter who just got grievously fouled via head trauma if they are ready to continue.

It is common sense that fighter is now compromised. If you are not sure how bad it is, have a good friend knee you full force in the head whilst on your knees. Let me know if you are ready to do coordinated tasks moments later.

Yan is probably the best bantamweight in the world. He's an idiot for not knowing the rules, or being willing to break them. Obviously we can't allow a champion to retain their title by fouling. Every champion should foul then if it means they get out of a fight without losing the belt.

Didn't some guys actually get belts without fighting for them when they created new weight classes?
Not really, no.

Aldo was the inaugural UFC FW champion without winning a UFC fight, but that's because he was the reigning WEC champ at a time when the WEC had the weight class and the UFC didn't, and then the two promotions merged.

There is nothing disputed about Aljo being champ.

Only thing worth disputing is how long Peter Yan should be suspended or if he should be cut altogether

I dispute Aljo being champ. I don't think he's the best fighter in his division and I don't think he was the best fighter in his title fight.

I get that you see it differently, and I understand and can appreciate that view. But once people disagree, there's a dispute.

Not really, no.

Aldo was the inaugural UFC FW champion without winning a UFC fight, but that's because he was the reigning WEC champ at a time when the WEC had the weight class and the UFC didn't, and then the two promotions merged.

Yep, same thing happened with men's bantamweight and women's bantamweight. Men's was brought over nearly in its entirety from the WEC as well. Women's bantamweight was brought over from Strikeforce. So the champs of these three divisions weren;t gifted belts so much as the belts of thee divisions were co-opted into the UFC.

Back