Dispelling the ignorance revolving around fighter salary.

bensons last fight wasnt on ppv.

Your right it wasn't. Henderson was just being used as an example because some people were complaining about him only taking home 78k.

In this case hes still making a ton of money. Its a network fight. Does he make more maineventing a fight on Fox rather than on PPV? I have no idea. Thats something Im not aware of. One thing I can promise is that Benson got paid in the 7 figures for that title defense and thats the whole point of this thread.

The fighters are paid well. They aren't doing all this shit making 78k. I resent that idea it makes our sport look small and puny compared to the other sports and its just not the case.

These guys are paid like elite athletes and Im hoping to let people know that.. NO Benson Henderson didn't just make 78k for his last fight he acctually made elite pro athelete money. These guys are big time.

10-15% =/.. thats a shit ton. Whats 15% of 60.5 million dollars? 9.3 million dollars. Thats A.Silva's cut at UFC 101.

Thats one fight. Fight 4 times a year like that (chael sonnen fights ect..?) Were talking 36 million and that doesnt even count those beautiful sponsor dollars.

Our guys? Our MMA stars? They are rich as hell. They are paid like any big time athletes out there.

A champion fights 3 times a year he could easily make 50 million dollars a year in earnings. Not too damn shabby. How many pro athletes you know get paid like that? Only the best right? Well.. MMA is a legit sport now we pay like that.

:redface:

You are not factoring in that the cable companies get 40% of the PPV buyrate. So that 60 million you speak of is really 30 million that the UFC is getting.

Which is all fine and well but we still have no idea what the actual percentage the fighters are taking in is.

Anderson Silva? Whats his take home? Jon Jones? Thats my point. We don't know exactly what these guys are taking in but we do know they are taking in a hell of a lot at the top of the food chain.

I made a comment earlier that was mocked when I said that Jon Jones could possibly take home 50 million in 1 year if he fought 3 times. Im not so sure thats so unrealistic.

3 championship fights.. great sponsors.. Nike sponsors. Im doing this flying by the seat of my pants here. How much does a Nike sponsorship give you? Sounds to me like its a hell of a lot. How much per fight?

Im thinking maybe my 50 million number was a bit high but is 30 million so crazy? 10 million a fight with sponsorships figures by the end of the year?

I don't think my numbers are THAT far off.

Bottom line is none of you will ever have an absolute answer to the salary question.

Goin around in cir-cles ...

Rashad's 3 million dollar home huh? Did you just pull that number out of thin air? Get your facts straight.

http://www.celebritydetective.com/Celebrity_Homes_Rashad-Evans-house-profile-Boca-Raton-FL.html

You can buy that house by only making 100 grand a year.

You COMPLETEY mix and matched quotes. the 625k house was a house he had purchased back in 2008. NOT the one in Boca Raton and the website you sited has been down for MONTHS now.

Don't quote something and then go into the text and change it to support your arguement. Can any conversation in sherdog be civil without turning into a gotcha thread?

Your right it wasn't. Henderson was just being used as an example because some people were complaining about him only taking home 78k.

In this case hes still making a ton of money. Its a network fight. Does he make more maineventing a fight on Fox rather than on PPV? I have no idea. Thats something Im not aware of. One thing I can promise is that Benson got paid in the 7 figures for that title defense and thats the whole point of this thread.

The fighters are paid well. They aren't doing all this shit making 78k. I resent that idea it makes our sport look small and puny compared to the other sports and its just not the case.

These guys are paid like elite athletes and Im hoping to let people know that.. NO Benson Henderson didn't just make 78k for his last fight he acctually made elite pro athelete money. These guys are big time.

you can not promise squat, you really should not be asserting opinions as facts

Which is all fine and well but we still have no idea what the actual percentage the fighters are taking in is.

Anderson Silva? Whats his take home? Jon Jones? Thats my point. We don't know exactly what these guys are taking in but we do know they are taking in a hell of a lot at the top of the food chain.

I made a comment earlier that was mocked when I said that Jon Jones could possibly take home 50 million in 1 year if he fought 3 times. Im not so sure thats so unrealistic.

3 championship fights.. great sponsors.. Nike sponsors. Im doing this flying by the seat of my pants here. How much does a Nike sponsorship give you? Sounds to me like its a hell of a lot. How much per fight?

Im thinking maybe my 50 million number was a bit high but is 30 million so crazy? 10 million a fight with sponsorships figures by the end of the year?

I don't think my numbers are THAT far off.

try bringing facts when you dispel ignorance

you act like everyone is getting paid in the UFC which simply isn't the case

yeah guys like anderson and gsp and whoever else get hooked up but the undercard guys don't make shit

Because I was at UFC 101 in Philadelphia and I remember reading the numbers right on sherdog.com that indications look like it broke past 1 million PPV buys. Including multiple other reports aproximately a week after the event.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/forum/threads/ufc-101-buyrate-likely-to-exceed-1-million.16983/

http://www.fightlockdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4756

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=181588

I just remembered reading these articles and being suprised by how well 101 did (which incidently has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, as UFC 101 was used simply as a example piece on the money you could potentially earn if you headlined a card)

All reports now are that it got 850 K. Still, they aren't necessarily 100% but that's what Meltzer says.

TS you're right that MMA fighters get paid more than the figure that is released to the media, but what I find ignorant is how some people don't realize how much more Boxers get paid than MMA fighters.

You use Ben Henderson getting 78K as an example, then your reasoning is PPV %. Ben Henderson fought on Fox. He sold 0 PPVs. You just made yourself look ignorant. What else you got?

Wouldn't it be funny if these "Locker room bonuses" turned out be a big tax evasion scheme that gets the UFC busted in 5-10 years?

It's a real shame how these poor young men, and now women, are being forced against their will to become mixed martial artists.
Career by choice ladies and gentlemen.

Wouldn't it be funny if these "Locker room bonuses" turned out be a big tax evasion scheme that gets the UFC busted in 5-10 years?

I can see this happening

Top names are paid.

Okay names do okay.

Lesser known guys often make shit.

Back