Disneyland: The Latest Victim of the Anti-Vaxxers

The only time I ever got a flu vaccine I came home and within about two days came down with the flu. True story.

You may or may not know this, but most people who use that anecdote do not, and this needs to be repeated every year. If you got sick within about two days, it's likely you were already sick and had no symptoms yet. Because flu shots happen around flu season, people mistakenly think the shot caused it. Further, because the immune system gets busy reacting to the shot, people who are already brewing up a flu can really get the shit knocked out of them. The shot literally cannot give people the flu, because the virus is dead. The mist is a different story because it is alive. The one time I got the mist, I felt like shit for a short time, and so did a lot of other people. Most were just fine, and none of us got the flu.

There should be a law that says if you knowingly put your community in danger by intentionally skipping on your free vaccination and then bring back a disease on the "Eradicated" list, you are liable for all medical costs as well as compensation for emotional anguish inccurred to your victims.

Measles is no joke by the way, if the virus gets to the child's brain, it could inflict permanent brain damage.

Anti-vaxxers are the scum of the earth and the dumbest fucking people on the planet.

You may or may not know this, but most people who use that anecdote do not, and this needs to be repeated every year. If you got sick within about two days, it's likely you were already sick and had no symptoms yet. Because flu shots happen around flu season, people mistakenly think the shot caused it. Further, because the immune system gets busy reacting to the shot, people who are already brewing up a flu can really get the shit knocked out of them. The shot literally cannot give people the flu, because the virus is dead. The mist is a different story because it is alive. The one time I got the mist, I felt like shit for a short time, and so did a lot of other people. Most were just fine, and none of us got the flu.

It should also be pointed out that if you came home and were sick for two days, you didn't have the flu. The flu is 4-5 days of nonfunctional hell, followed by several weeks of lingering respiratory systems. It seems like a lot of people will label any respiratory illness during flu season as "the flu."

probably more chemicals in a bag of cheetos than in a vaccine

Re: the flu vaccine - there isn't actually good data to show that it's worth taking for most people.

I get it every year because I had Type A flu (there are 3 types of severity with A being the worst) and was really ill and vowed I'd never go through that shit again. But recently I decided to look into the science and was surprised just how weak the evidence is for it's use.

My primary source is the Cochrane Review which states:

"Key results

The preventive effect of parenteral inactivated influenza vaccine on healthy adults is small: at least 40 people would need vaccination to avoid one ILI case (95% confidence interval (CI) 26 to 128) and 71 people would need vaccination to prevent one case of influenza (95% CI 64 to 80). Vaccination shows no appreciable effect on working days lost or hospitalisation."

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults

I'm unsure if this means that so few people get flu anyway that it's not worth mass ummunisation, or whether they're saying the vaccine is likley to be ineffective in most people.

Obviously this speaks nothing about measles, polio and other vaccines.

Anti vaxxers would be really funny if they didn't cause such serious problems with their stupidity.

I will say though, that I don't...and probably will never get the flu shot. I don't think I've ever had a flu in my life and if I have, it certainly wasn't a bad one.

You mock, but that is the rebuttal I most often hear to talk of vaccines, the classic 'I got the Flu vaccine last year and got sick'.

I had my roommates' gf tell me the same thing.

Anti-vaxxers are analegeous yo the diseases they don't prevent: if you don't do something about them, their beliefs will quickly spread.

I also hate homeopaths but that's another story

I have a close childhood friend who has become obsessed with the vaccine controversy. Everything he shares on Facebook is related to anti-vaccination. I worry for him.

If that fool ever visit a tropical country, chances are he gonna becomes a human petri dish upon his return, starting from Hepatitis and go from there.

Remember the time you came down with Polio?

That is actually possible with the live virus vaccine.

I haven't been checked out for autism since the flu episode either. though I do feel somewhat stronger when it comes to math.

So the Illuminati infect some kids in the illuminati capital with a new strain of an old disease...and I'm supposed to go and get whatever new meds they want to peddle to me? Nah, forget that.

Must suck to be that fully vaccinated adult who still came down with the measles. But I'm sure their case was just a super rare outlier. Other than the three people who have already died in my state this year from the flu - and who all had the flu shot - I don't know of any cases in which vaccination hasn't proven to be the most safe and effective choice.

It's funny how similar the far left is to the far right. Anti-science retards.

So, If you're vaccinated you can still get the disease? Why would anyone bother?

Are there clinical trials to test the efficacy of vaccines?

So, If you're vaccinated you can still get the disease? Why would anyone bother?

Look, do you want to support the public safety or do you want to be a Mr. Smartypants?

I don't know about clinical trials. The most common cited number is the CDC's 95% of flu deaths in children are vaccinated.

Which is a terribly misleading statistic. Almost all of those deaths were in children who had other severe health conditions that would have made them ineligible to received flu vaccines.

Back