Dishonesty in the dentistry field?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Orgasmo, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

Just feel I gotta rant after talking to my mom today. She had some pain in her gum last week, so she went to a dentist office near her house two days ago. While she had no cavity, she was told that she was losing bone structure of her teeth as she aged. The dentist apparently recommended she pulled three of her teeth and replaced them with bridges.

So my mom being the fucking gullible idiot that she is, started actively attempting to loosen one of the teeth that was causing the sensitivity. Apparently she had been doing it for two days and I'm still extremely pissed at her stupidity. She thought she could save the money on pulling her teeth out if she got it out herself. After I yelled at her for that stupid shit, I checked with my own dentist that I went to for years. He said that gum sensitivity and bone loss are common problems with middle age people, and that you really don't need to be concerned about it unless it's severe. He said that the other dentist sounded like he was trying to make some quick bucks.

Now I know how much of an idiot my mom can be and I have been chastising her all day. She probably ruined the tooth unnecessarily already and she's regretting it. I also heard horror stories about dentists from people I know. Just wondering whether you share similar experience, as dentistry seem to be filled with people trying to push unnecessary procedures.

I love my mother to death, but it's frustrating at some of the dumb shit scam she fell for in the past.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

What's a rant?

3. Rex Luger

Rex Luger I can sniff that boot! Platinum Member

Don't talk about your mother like that.

4. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

50% frustration, 30% hiss fit and 20% whining

I shouldn't, and it would probably be sort of funny to me if it happened to someone I don't know well. It's absolutely infuriating when it's your own mom doing that dumb shit.

5. metal

metal saying what i want Platinum Member

Can't agree with you on giving your mom a hard time. She trusted a "professional". You should be pissed at the dentist though. He tried to scam your mother, and sounds like he scared her a bit. I will agree with you she should have never tried to loosen them herself, but you can't put the blame on her. Not fully anyway. Why didn't you have her go to your dentist?

6. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

I moved out a few years ago after university, and I only see her about twice a month these days due to work. I didn't know she went to see a dentist until yesterday. I should see her more often, as it seems she is getting more and more gullible with age. At this rate she'll get everything scammed by the time she's 60. She's also quite headstrong all her life, and rarely discuss her plans with me until after. It's not the first time she got hosed by others in the past few years. She's not even 55 and she's already losing her street smarts.

7. Flemmy Stardust

Flemmy Stardust King of Lea

Yeah, my dentist tried to pull some shifty shit on me. Nothing crazy, but it put a bad taste in my mouth.

They did work on me, then billed me before my insurance sent them a check for what was covered. Once they receive the money from my insurance they were going to send me a new bill for the small remainder that i actually owed. What pissed me off is that they don't tell you any of this unless you question it.

What they're hoping is that you don't understand your coverage and pay the full bill and then they get the insurance money on top of it.

8. Lights Out 101

Lights Out 101 Brown Belt

TS, have you confronted the dentist yet? I would not let that shit fly if it was my mother.

9. AznCezi187

AznCezi187 Brown Belt

I feel you bro.

My parent's sometimes fall for computer scams, false websites, etc. and I worry about them when I'm gone for good.

As for dentists and trying to get extra money from you for unnecessary procedures, not that I know of just the computer problems.

We recently got a ridiculous bill for a simple procedure though. We went there and got what we asked for and nothing else but the bill was a lot higher than we expected and made us ask some questions.

10. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

Oh I'm planning to file a complaint against that one at the dental association. The problem is I did a research paper on those during a business ethics class back in university. They're absolutely useless in terms of punishing shady conducts.

11. zackryder

zackryder Long Island Iced Z Platinum Member

you spelled dentistry wrong

12. Stranger Come Knocking

Stranger Come Knocking Red Belt

I think my mom got taken by a crook dentist when I was young. I have fillings in every back tooth an I definitely didn't need all of them.

Funny story: I had a root canal done like ten years ago. The next day, the dentist I went to was all over the news for molesting some woman while she was under. Turns out it was his mistress trying to get him in trouble because he stopped seeing her.

13. Merlotte's

Merlotte's Silver Belt

A dentist would rather pull your tooth and send an impression to the lab for a crown/abutment than fix what you might break again.

14. kuromusha

kuromusha LONZO LOOMS 2019

You're just an anti-dentite. Next thing you'll be telling us is that they should have their own schools.

15. Matt M

Matt M It is happening again....

Any dental stuff I've had done has always been for free.
    I had to have some teeth removed years ago and that was all free. Was done by student dentists tho, which wasn't very pleasant.

16. molest

molest Purple Belt

You have no proof the dentist is wrong, just some random paranoia. Take your mom to your trusted dentist for a diagnosis if it makes you feel better.

Otherwise just let your mom have her operation, seems to me you are the only one who is making it a problem for both you and her.

17. molest

molest Purple Belt

I had my milk teeth pulled by students, i think they charged like 5 bucks. The numb shots could be rough but besides that there's not much room to screw up, all they do is pull.

18. genecop

genecop Red Belt

They are mostly con men.....the Chimney Sweeps of the Medical PROFFESSION, not even doctors...

19. Ignicious

Ignicious Green Belt

at least you don't have noma

[​IMG]

20. michal001

michal001 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Shady people in every field. This is why need to develop relationship to know your trusted professionals and get multiple second opinions. Even better find good professional that works in a non profit setting so financial
    Bias is taken away. University physician for example.