Discussion: Is there solid evidence that a fight has ever been fixed in the UFC?

Every Herb Dean fight looks fixed to me.

As in he gives the big UFC stars all the time to recover and then quickly calls fights if the reverse happens.
Basically this. If Nunes is in the least bit of trouble its going to be called off. Nunes has to flat line Ronda to get a stoppage

This fight ended shortly after this exchange. It lasted two minutes and Shamrock did nothing that appeared to be an attempt to finish the fight. It doesn't appear to me that shamrock is going for an ankle but one can make their own judgement
Fair enough- I need to re-watch before I try to stake any claims anyhow

the Ken Shamrock one is weird

he doesnt drop for a leg, he flops for it

he also has other fishy incidents in his career

and finally, he is a complete moron

*living death*
<{titihmm}>

I would be more likely to believe that if the fight ended in a decision.

Not Chuck getting KTFO.

Seriously for a few seconds after that punch...I thought Chuck was dead.

nobody lays down perfectly like that if they were really ko'ed

Evans-vs-Liddell-3.jpg

Don Frye VS Mark Hall - One of the few fixed fights in the early days of the UFC, Frye and his people made an agreement with Hall backstage before their fight. The story goes that both Hall and Frye had the same managers, and Frye wanted an easy way into the finals of the tournament against Tank Abbott at the Ultimate Ultimate 1996 tournament. Since Frye had already beaten Hall before, they arranged that Hall would be paid a sum to take a dive. (BloodyElbow)

More on this specific match in John McCarthy's autobiography "Let's get it on"

http://prommanow.com/2011/12/14/fix...he-autobiography-of-big-john-mccarthy-part-1/

Frye/hall
Vitor/Charles
Oleg/macias

Pride

Coleman/takada
Any other takada win
Probably a few others I can't remember

@MayhemMonkey919 I'm with you on this subject, but how do you explain this sort of shit?

Not sure what happened there. With that said if your going to fix a fight there are much much easier ways than this that would be almost impossible to prove unless the fighters admitted it. Just going to the ground and letting the opponent get pretty much any sub is the best way to fix any MMA fight.

I think fixed fights themselves were way more common in the earlier days and (especially) in Japan. That being typed, I'm positive that it still happens today (ex: Kimbo vs. Bo Cantrell). What really concerns me is fixed judging. There is no oversight nor consequences/repercussions for judges, so there's technically nothing stopping a promotion from throwing some money to the judges to make sure a fight goes a certain way.

There is some level of incompetent judging, I feel - but that goes with a lot of sports. Doug Crosby and the whole charade with him and Longo/Iaquinta shows it's possible that fighters and coaches can meet outside of fighting in a friendly setting or a non too one. That interview he did on Sonnen's podcast was bizarre - and then it turned out they knew each other a while.

I can remember him scoring a couple of fights that were generous to the (clear) winner, but there's also other judges who you wonder what they're watching.

It's definitely not all that common, but there is the odd comment dropped into threads here about fixed fights.

I saw one a minute ago about Nunes vs Rousey is going to be a fix. It kind of made me laugh, but it got me thinking a little more about the general notion of fixed fights in the UFC.

In Boxing there has always been a history of fixed fights. It's definitely not common, but certain fighters taking dives in specific rounds for betting line purposes, or very questionable judging in general has always had the conversation of "fixing" in the mouths of fans.

Could the same happen in the sport of MMA? Sure. I think in the SMALLER organisations it would be a lot easier to get away with, due to lack of publicity etc. But could such a thing ever be possible in the UFC?

I know this is a "going full Eddie Bravo" type of thread, but it's food for thought.

With WME-IMG having personal promotional contracts with athletes on the roster, they would definitely stand to gain from having certain fighters win fights - I personally cannot see it ever happening, but there would at least be a motive of some shape or form.

You of course have ridiculous claims like Tazz from the WWF/WWE claiming that Ronda/Holly was a fix. Yeah, okay Tazz, you get head-kicked unconscious for a fixed fight, yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Any examples of fights you think looked suspicious? and could something in general ever be possible?

there are many fights we can create the conspiracy theory of a fixed fight.
Machida & Rua I (Not KO, but that decision was fishy as hell).
or Tyrone against Robbie is also a good example. Robbie was having wars with everybody, never flinched with punches, and then all of a sudden, gets dropped on the first...
Or Aldo & Conor, for the same reasoning.

But then, you get Cain & Junior with Junior KTFO'ing Cain which was obvious the guy UFC wanted to promote...

Anyone can create any "reality" without the burden of proof.

Like you, I rather believe they know what would happen if they get caught...

Wanderlei claimed that he had proof during his lawsuit with the UFC and then dropped it when they let him go.

Fight fixing is no joke when you are a fight promotion like the UFC. If they was even a hint of fixing, they would be investigated by the government and if they were caught, they would lose their fight license and then entire promotion would be shut down. The risk to fix a fight would potentially take down the entire company and it's certainly not worth that.

With boxing not having a a main promotion like the UFC, it's more possible but with regulations in place these days, no one is going to risk losing their license. If you want to fix a fight, you take it overseas. Any boxing fight you see overseas in shady regions, there's always the chance.

Wasn't Shammy vs Taktarov fixed?

Pretty sure most of Shammy's fights are either dives or fixes. He's terrible at it.

there are many fights we can create the conspiracy theory of a fixed fight.
Machida & Rua I (Not KO, but that decision was fishy as hell).
or Tyrone against Robbie is also a good example. Robbie was having wars with everybody, never flinched with punches, and then all of a sudden, gets dropped on the first...
Or Aldo & Conor, for the same reasoning.

But then, you get Cain & Junior with Junior KTFO'ing Cain which was obvious the guy UFC wanted to promote...

Anyone can create any "reality" without the burden of proof.

Like you, I rather believe they know what would happen if they get caught...
Those are terrible examples. Not one of the fights you listed can be argued as a fix.

If you're fixing a fight why have it so close it could go either way? Even if you paid the judges, those guys hit each other hard and could've possibly KO'd.

Robbie's chin finally caught up with him and he dropped.

Aldo go clipped hard, if you're fixing a fight why in the hell would you fix it so you get KTFO

IF...there was fixed fights in any of the type of combat sports, MMA is probably the one most suitable to perform such a thing. Just so many feasible options to pull off an upset. It could be deemed realistic. An example would be Anderson Silva being submitted with a leglock early in his career. Do I think it was a fix? No.....but that just confirms my point. A fix can look highly feasible.
......if I sound dumb, forgive me. I just drank a shitload of coffee before posting.

Nate vs McGregor II. No way a fighter 3 times the size of the other gets handled like that on an MMA fight, as fixed as they get.

I think it is far more difficult to fix a fight at the level of UFC MMA with one or both Fighters participating, than it is to get an official, judge or set of judges in on it.

We have ALL seen dozens of jaw dropping WTF judge scoring decisions throughout the UFC. We have seen THAT range from all three judges smoking PCP laced crack to come up with a unanimous WTF score, as well as only one (or two) of the judges in la-la land.

Honestly, has a single UFC judge ever been PUBLICLY FIRED as a result of proven corruption and or total ineptitude as a result of ANYTHING that any of them has EVER scribed on a fight score card? FFS, Greg Foreman was given a congressional meddle of honor in his appeal for warning Matt Mitrione about attempting to hurt Travis Brownes finger tips with illegal small joint manipulation by his fucking eye sockets. I kid you not, this cancer was NEITHER executed, nor stripped of his license (Thank you Massachusetts state AC), and EAT SHIT AND DIE!

Yes, the MSAC fixed the 11th fight on the card of the UFC fight 1-17-2016 at the TD garden in BostonUFC fight night Dillasnake vs. Cruz.

We have all seen with modern technology PROOF that Referee's and officials have made blunders, and yet NEVER get fired.

It does not take a rocket scientist to add the score on a THREE ROUND title fight at UFC flyweight title fights. That said, it took far more than the UFC was able to employ for the task, if you believe it is all "good".

It is a real damn difficult task to determine the duration between rounds for officials to require a fighter to return to the next round. It only applies when?

Wow, what a ridiculous task to assign ANY official of MMA. How can anyone do something so complex as keep track of the time in a 5 minute round.

It is clear MMA OFFICIALS cannot when Anthony Johnson can't land a jab 5 minutes into round 1 against Arlovski, but breaks his jaw 6 minutes into the 5 minute first round.

Any of you FUCKTARDS claiming MMA and the UFC are above actively practicing corruption, I have some beach front property dirt cheap!

Just send your check for $500 to me at . . . . . . to a list of these properties. . . .

PRIDE, before it got out by Zuffa, had fixed fights.

From the Zuffa era onwards, the UFC hasn't fixed any fights. Pre-Zuffa, I have no idea.

Back