Discussion: Is there solid evidence that a fight has ever been fixed in the UFC?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's definitely not all that common, but there is the odd comment dropped into threads here about fixed fights.

I saw one a minute ago about Nunes vs Rousey is going to be a fix. It kind of made me laugh, but it got me thinking a little more about the general notion of fixed fights in the UFC.

In Boxing there has always been a history of fixed fights. It's definitely not common, but certain fighters taking dives in specific rounds for betting line purposes, or very questionable judging in general has always had the conversation of "fixing" in the mouths of fans.

Could the same happen in the sport of MMA? Sure. I think in the SMALLER organisations it would be a lot easier to get away with, due to lack of publicity etc. But could such a thing ever be possible in the UFC?

I know this is a "going full Eddie Bravo" type of thread, but it's food for thought.

With WME-IMG having personal promotional contracts with athletes on the roster, they would definitely stand to gain from having certain fighters win fights - I personally cannot see it ever happening, but there would at least be a motive of some shape or form.

You of course have ridiculous claims like Tazz from the WWF/WWE claiming that Ronda/Holly was a fix. Yeah, okay Tazz, you get head-kicked unconscious for a fixed fight, yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Any examples of fights you think looked suspicious? and could something in general ever be possible?

dImyJ.gif

dont get the idiots started lol

Anytime there is that much money available, people will try to get that money. Even if it means fixing fights

2lasbiu.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-27_10-47-53.png
    upload_2016-12-27_10-47-53.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 5
I don't see the promotion itself doing it. Too much risk for only a short term gain. A fighter, ref or a judge could be paid off by someone though. That's always possible.

I think its the wrong convo to have. Dont get the tinfoil hatters started. Rather "IS THERE good evidence that a fight was fixed?" Is the question

isnt that an old catch move Ken sometimes used to initiate a leglock? Almost like Werdum getting 'rocked' vs Fedor to tangle him up in dat(ch) guard

pretty sure that didn't end the fight, either.

Last edited:
Anytime there is that much money available, people will try to get that money. Even if it means fixing fights
simple truth - who knows what people have or havent done - but it wouldnt surprise me one bit - could be various parties who have some influence quietly

@MayhemMonkey919 I'm with you on this subject, but how do you explain this sort of shit?
looks like he was going to shoot in(or at least step forward)... seen Rich was about to punch his head off and decided to fall for an ankle lock(he does hook the ankle at the end of the gif)

still agree it looks dodgy, but there are ways to explain dodgy looking things in fights..... not saying it never happens

Sure it could happen, if a fighter had someone with leverage on him to make him throw a fight.

it could happen in any sport, we have seen in basketball guys shaving points off the line, in Tennis also.

but not from an organization stand point i dont think it would ever happen they have to much to lose.

but from an individual stand point it like a fighter or a ref yeah it could happen.

Has it happened? Don't think so.
Would it surprise me if it happened? Not really.

I think fixed fights themselves were way more common in the earlier days and (especially) in Japan. That being typed, I'm positive that it still happens today (ex: Kimbo vs. Bo Cantrell). What really concerns me is fixed judging. There is no oversight nor consequences/repercussions for judges, so there's technically nothing stopping a promotion from throwing some money to the judges to make sure a fight goes a certain way.

i genuinely believe nate was "encouraged" not to take Conor down in the second fight.

When a decent amount of money is involved sure it's possible. The way to execute it would require both fighters (preferably a dominant champ and an unworthy challenger) to be in on the fix though. It would also help if the fighters "hate" each other.

Every Herb Dean fight looks fixed to me.

As in he gives the big UFC stars all the time to recover and then quickly calls fights if the reverse happens.

Back