Discomfort on outside of knee

Stop running Ian.

And use the foam roller / tennis balls for trigger points.

Seriously man, quit running for two or three weeks.

I don't know if you have anything coming up like a fight or something, but if you don't have a fight coming up, stop running completely.

Ice it as often as possible, elevate it, and you can play with the tennis balls or foam rollers too.

But it probably won't go away for a while, especially if your right knee is now bothering you as well. If it was just the left knee I'd say ITBS, but now that both knees are upset, I'd say you're doing damage to both of them, and you might have some patellar issues with the right.

Stop running for a while.

Stop running Ian.

And use the foam roller / tennis balls for trigger points.

Seriously man, quit running for two or three weeks.

I don't know if you have anything coming up like a fight or something, but if you don't have a fight coming up, stop running completely.

Ice it as often as possible, elevate it, and you can play with the tennis balls or foam rollers too.

But it probably won't go away for a while, especially if your right knee is now bothering you as well. If it was just the left knee I'd say ITBS, but now that both knees are upset, I'd say you're doing damage to both of them, and you might have some patellar issues with the right.

Stop running for a while.

Thanks for the input poly

I did stop all activity for 12-14 days (I went for a swim part way through).

The other knee was a different sensation and that as far as I know was a one off (first time back into running, over compensating I'm thinking).

I'm being careful [I did some interval running yesterday and it wasn't a issue and hasn't been since (as in walking about today and yesterday)].

If I feel something, I'll stop

I have had this on the outside of the knee before but laziness previously (and the end of leading up to a fight) often made me stop running before it got any worse.

It could be strength difference between the VMO and vastus lateralis... is your VMO well developed?

The more likely answer is a tight ITB, especially since your knee pain is on the outside. Get a foam roller or any roller and roll along the ground on top of it with the side of your leg. Stretch your ITB too. Something that is better than both of those is a VERY hard massage to your ITB to look for muscle knots and massage them out. Get someone to check the bottom side of your ITB very thoroughly. If you find painful/tender spots its probably a muscle knot. From experience the massage therapists I went to sucked because they are too gentle.

Aaaah Cross fiber friction massage. Cyriax would be creaming his pants right now. I don't know if they have this across the pond but it works real well here in the US:

www.astym.com

Essentially, cross fiber friction on steroids. There are other companies that offer variations of this therapy. My buddy uses it in the clinic a lot. He claims getting people better in 7 to 11 visits at 2 times a week. I think prolotherapy is sort of the same thing but I don't know too much about it.

Aaaah Cross fiber friction massage. Cyriax would be creaming his pants right now. I don't know if they have this across the pond but it works real well here in the US:

www.astym.com

Essentially, cross fiber friction on steroids. There are other companies that offer variations of this therapy. My buddy uses it in the clinic a lot. He claims getting people better in 7 to 11 visits at 2 times a week. I think prolotherapy is sort of the same thing but I don't know too much about it.

Never heard of it before and to be honest it looks like someone push perspex of varying shapes into soft tissue.

How much does it cost?

Never heard of it before and to be honest it looks like someone push perspex of varying shapes into soft tissue.

How much does it cost?

You can't do it to yourself, unless you're a physio. It basically helps remodel scar tissue by creating a controlled inflammatory response (i.e. irritating the tissue in a controlled way).

also look into grastyn which basically the same idea. physios and chiros do these kinds of treatments

When this happened to me a few years ago I got orthotics. The pain went away and came back once I destroyed all the cushioning in my shoe.

Orthotics, new shoes = Solution

Also strengthen hip abductors (windshield wipers) and dedicate a good amount of time to stretching it whenever it is warm.

Ian, how has your knee been feeling? I came across this post because I've been having an issue with my ITB as well. It hurts occasionally when I got up and down stairs and sometimes just on random strides when I walk. I have a foam roller than I am going to be using. I was just curious whether it's been a constant problem for you or if you've been able to remedy it.

When this happened to me a few years ago I got orthotics. The pain went away and came back once I destroyed all the cushioning in my shoe.

Orthotics, new shoes = Solution

Also strengthen hip abductors (windshield wipers) and dedicate a good amount of time to stretching it whenever it is warm.

I was starting to wonder if it was my shoes tbh.

I've had them since last March and been running in them a lot the last 7-9 months.

I went to a shoe shop with gait analysis and they said the shoes were ok (the type) for my gait but they had probably come to the end of their life.

I need to buy some new asic nimbus

Ian, how has your knee been feeling? I came across this post because I've been having an issue with my ITB as well. It hurts occasionally when I got up and down stairs and sometimes just on random strides when I walk. I have a foam roller than I am going to be using. I was just curious whether it's been a constant problem for you or if you've been able to remedy it.

Funnily enough it doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment, but I'm not running the distances I was (doh) because I'm gearing into it a bit slower, but I am doing interval work on a hill, so the stress in theory is less.
I have been trying atleast to do more ass to grass loaded squats to strengthen the muscle around the joint.

I have been having problems with the same side leg but on the calf. I've been sorting that fucker out with toe raises off a step for extended ROM.

I should also note I ended up having from mid march to early may (I think about 6 weeks) of because of illness, so it had a lot of time to recover then.

I have been having problems with the same side leg but on the calf. I've been sorting that fucker out with toe raises off a step for extended ROM.

I should also note I ended up having from mid march to early may (I think about 6 weeks) of because of illness, so it had a lot of time to recover then.

This same problem stopped me from running. I tried to just let it heal on its own. No luck. Its much better now, but I did stretches everyday, foam roller, and my dr gave me some shoe inserts. I have a flat foot so I need some support in there.

1 thing you should really do is... Get the right kind of shoe for your foot type. Runner's World: Running Shoe Finder (foot type)

Do you have a flat foot or a high arch? Maybe somewhere in the middle?

once you figure that out look around here Runner's World: Running Shoe Finder

Oh... Sorry if you get inserts from a doctor or a runners store, make sure you DO NOT RUN IN THEM till your foot is use to it. Walk with inserts in shoe for a couple of weeks, then try a short distance.

it band stretching exercises

This same problem stopped me from running. I tried to just let it heal on its own. No luck. Its much better now, but I did stretches everyday, foam roller, and my dr gave me some shoe inserts. I have a flat foot so I need some support in there.

1 thing you should really do is... Get the right kind of shoe for your foot type. Runner's World: Running Shoe Finder (foot type)

Do you have a flat foot or a high arch? Maybe somewhere in the middle?

once you figure that out look around here Runner's World: Running Shoe Finder

My shoes are asics nimbus, I'm 'normal' so don't need any adjustments so they do me ok.
They are old like I said so maybe time to get some new ones (especially for longer runs, these ones might do for HIIT work)

My shoes are asics nimbus, I'm 'normal' so don't need any adjustments so they do me ok.
They are old like I said so maybe time to get some new ones (especially for longer runs, these ones might do for HIIT work)

How many miles would you say you run a year? I have a pair of running shoes, and running is the only thing I wear em for. If you run a lot, replace em frequently.

Btw, nimbus, from what I have read and heard from friends is an awesome show. Good choice. :)

How many miles would you say you run a year? I have a pair of running shoes, and running is the only thing I wear em for. If you run a lot, replace em frequently.

Btw, nimbus, from what I have read and heard from friends is an awesome show. Good choice. :)

No idea mate

I go through phases. I was running a lot from xmas- march. 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week with a 8-9 miler at the end (ish) of the week.

To be honest- I got it without the gait analysis because....I liked the look of the shoes :redface:

Ian make sure you do calf raises with a bent knee too.. more than with a straight leg.

astym.com

Yeah good advice... people dont realise that it takes sometimes 10+ massages to get rid of the trigger points in muscles.

Foam rollers dont apply enough focused pressure either.

itb definitely sounds right.

When i start experiencing pain, I always use lots of ice after runs on my knees. also make sure your not under or over striding. under striding causes pain for distance, overstriding causes pain for speed.

nice to hear there's hope out there. have an appt to see the doc on friday for the same problem. haven't been able to run for 3 weeks.

Damn i've been getting some pains in my knee also especially the bottom part right under the kneecap

Ice and the orange thai boxing linament will help a lot. Just be careful because that stuff will travel on it's own up to your nads and burn like hell!

Someone explained the perfect way to get it massaged on the first page, i just recommend doing it with the thai boxing oil if it's available where you are.

Ian make sure you do calf raises with a bent knee too.. more than with a straight leg.

Yeah good advice... people dont realise that it takes sometimes 10+ massages to get rid of the trigger points in muscles.

Foam rollers dont apply enough focused pressure either.

Thanks for the input mate, but I always do calf raises with atleast 5-10 degrees of bend in there

Damn i've been getting some pains in my knee also especially the bottom part right under the kneecap

Ice and the orange thai boxing linament will help a lot. Just be careful because that stuff will travel on it's own up to your nads and burn like hell!

Someone explained the perfect way to get it massaged on the first page, i just recommend doing it with the thai boxing oil if it's available where you are.

I love the smell of thai oil in the morning

Get a sweat on then get some on (always bfore a fight, start sweating a bit on the pads then massage with thai oil....firey bliss baby)

Back