Disappointed with my striking

abgmma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was doing well and outstriking anyone until today i changed my gym and went to a new one full of professional fighters. I sparred with one of them and found out that i got some holes i need to change . I need your help guys.
First of all I'm a southpaw who use range alot and my stance is very similar to Mcgregor's. What l found other than being countered with big shots always is that my defense which is my best tool have some holes too .
I'm too good at retreating when someone charges at me and hit him easily with a left cross but that was useless against them. I tried it multiple time but unlike other guys who stops as soon as my punch land . They kept attacking me as if my punch didn't matter to them and got tagged with some clean punches. I'm thinking about it and it is definitely an angle issue but how can i change that angle after i throw that flashy cross?
Second, my combos seemed worthless against them as soon as i throw any punch and follow it with another i find myself getting countered with overhands out of nowhere. That sucks getting beat up like that i want some help

It's totally okay to face partners who will challenge you. It forces you to improve. I always see it as a great learning experience any time I'm challenged.

At that level, they seem to recognize your intentions. You might have a specific counter rhythm they picked up on. Change the rhythm of your countering to adjust by firing off rhythm.

If they're looking disrupt your combos by throwing counters as soon as you throw that first shot, it might be a good idea to use that against them. Throw the first shot to bait out that overhand, let them swing and miss, then punish by blinding them with your counter and using that to follow up. Combine your combos with angles to ensure that you can strike while keeping the head away from their counter angles.

You should be happy to have found a place where you have decent sparring partners that will improve your game. Rather than relying on just one technique to counter a blitz you will now have to add more tools to your arsenal.

My suggestions are to try pivoting out with a hook, or a check hook as it's also called, or too set the cross up you like to throw by side stepping out first to create a angle from them coming forward, posting your hands (similar to Aldo when he side steps).

If you are currently landing the cross as a counter but they are walking through it, try taking your head off the centre line and use the cross to the body instead, put a bit more power in it then take a angle out.

The guys you are sparring with will help you out. It's good to be surrounded by better fighters, it's the only way to improve. If you are 'winning' all your sparring matches then you probably aren't learning much

Listen to the coach that tought them, that's why your there. Stay humble, pay attention, do as your told, and eventually you'll be the one tuning up the new guy

I can't add anything really, you're further along than me, except I agree with Nakmuay18, also the point about waiting for the overhand makes sense. If I were put in this situation, sparring people a lot better, I would keep my hands up and be more conservative, learn their tricks one by one. Note that you're there for a reason, and will adapt over time.

They're pros. Generally anyone over B-class (4-9 fights, excluding exhibitions), will be very reactive with interrupting combos. Its the newer guys who shell and take the whole thing before firing back. High level amateurs or pros retaliate ASAP.

Like others have said, its good you found a new gym that can challenge and help you grow. It would've been worse staying with your gym, and possibly competing against the guys in your new (current) gym. They'd prob shut you down early, and worse than what you experienced today in sparring.

Last edited:
It's totally okay to face partners who will challenge you. It forces you to improve. I always see it as a great learning experience any time I'm challenged.

At that level, they seem to recognize your intentions. You might have a specific counter rhythm they picked up on. Change the rhythm of your countering to adjust by firing off rhythm.

If they're looking disrupt your combos by throwing counters as soon as you throw that first shot, it might be a good idea to use that against them. Throw the first shot to bait out that overhand, let them swing and miss, then punish by blinding them with your counter and using that to follow up. Combine your combos with angles to ensure that you can strike while keeping the head away from their counter angles.

Nobody i have ever faced was able to slip or block my cross counter because it has a great timing. But what he did was exploding suddenly at me i was able to throw it many times but it landed flush with little power and he took that chance to continue through me and tag me after it .
As for my combos, he doesnt throw the counter for a little jab he wait for me to throw a second punch and when i'm threatening his distance he fires back i couldn't time him.

They're pros. Generally anyone over B-class (4-9 fights, excluding exhibitions), will be very reactive with interrupting combos. Its the newer guys who shell and take the whole thing before firing back. High level amateurs or pros retaliate ASAP.

Like others have said, its good you found a new gym that can challenge and help you grow. It would've been worse staying with your gym, and possibly competing against the guys in your new (current) gym. They'd prob shut you down early, and worse than what you experienced today in sparring.

Definitely, they have the best gym in my country and one of their fighters became the IMMAF Champion not long ago.

Nobody i have ever faced was able to slip or block my cross counter because it has a great timing. But what he did was exploding suddenly at me i was able to throw it many times but it landed flush with little power and he took that chance to continue through me and tag me after it .
As for my combos, he doesnt throw the counter for a little jab he wait for me to throw a second punch and when i'm threatening his distance he fires back i couldn't time him.

I'm not sure what else to say that hasn't already been mentioned. You're facing a different class of opposition in sparring now.

There's stuff I pull off on my friends that I'd never dream of attempting on Thais. That's just life.

Another question guys.
I noticed that i don't use any power when throwing counters. I try to throw them the fastest way and the most efficient way but i end up sacrificing all my power for speed . Is that probably the reason they go through my punches is throwing hard punches can deter them or they will find it easier to counter?

Another question guys.
I noticed that i don't use any power when throwing counters. I try to throw them the fastest way and the most efficient way but i end up sacrificing all my power for speed . Is that probably the reason they go through my punches is throwing hard punches can deter them or they will find it easier to counter?
Maybe you're not selling it well, I throw combos similar to yours, with a combo like 1,2,3,kick. Of those, one will be a real shot, for me usually the kick, and the 1,2,3 is pure bs. I even use the hook as a way to load up the kick to make stronger opposed to being a real strike. The trick is making it seem like a real threat and to make your partners/opponents respect it.

Maybe you're not selling it well, I throw combos similar to yours, with a combo like 1,2,3,kick. Of those, one will be a real shot, for me usually the kick, and the 1,2,3 is pure bs. I even use the hook as a way to load up the kick to make stronger opposed to being a real strike. The trick is making it seem like a real threat and to make your partners/opponents respect it.

I searched about those shots i was talking about and i found a useful video they are called "potshots" in boxing. They are more like tap punches to score points and i use them alot they are too quick especially when countering but it seems pros love to take them and fire back lol .
Anyway that's a useful combo and it was used on me that day but more as a counter. As soon as i fire of he counters and throw a 1-2 then a kick to the body.
But it isn't working with me because my oponents are always ready to counter

I searched about those shots i was talking about and i found a useful video they are called "potshots" in boxing. They are more like tap punches to score points and i use them alot they are too quick especially when countering but it seems pros love to take them and fire back lol .
Anyway that's a useful combo and it was used on me that day but more as a counter. As soon as i fire of he counters and throw a 1-2 then a kick to the body.
But it isn't working with me because my oponents are always ready to counter
They're experienced so they're probably going by feeling. My coach ingrained it in all of us. As soon as we feel a hit, we counter back regardless if we don't get a clear view of it. Its usually on a heavier strike like a cross or a hook. Rarely do we counter on the first strike (jab) as its usually a feeler / setup strike.

If you're throwing your Pot shots, but you're more focused on doing everything to stay out of their reach, while throwing it, then Thats prob why they can see through it. Are you throwing it while leaning back without using your full reach?

They're experienced so they're probably going by feeling. My coach ingrained it in all of us. As soon as we feel a hit, we counter back regardless if we don't get a clear view of it. Its usually on a heavier strike like a cross or a hook. Rarely do we counter on the first strike (jab) as its usually a feeler / setup strike.

If you're throwing your Pot shots, but you're more focused on doing everything to stay out of their reach, while throwing it, then Thats prob why they can see through it. Are you throwing it while leaning back without using your full reach?

No i don't lean back . I stay with my same stance as soon as i see a barrage of punches coming i plant my rear leg farther and i throw that tap cross. Aldo vs mcgregor is a good example of what im talking about but i don't punch that hard just a tap shot.

No i don't lean back . I stay with my same stance as soon as i see a barrage of punches coming i plant my rear leg farther and i throw that tap cross. Aldo vs mcgregor is a good example of what im talking about but i don't punch that hard just a tap shot.
hmmm, there might be something, weather its being telegraphed, or you're repeatedly throwing the same combos with the same tempo over and over, and that the higher level guys are catching on to something. Its hard to give a detailed analysis without a visual aid of your sparring sessions.
Regardless, you'll find out eventually, and be able to bust through this sticking point.

hmmm, there might be something, weather its being telegraphed, or you're repeatedly throwing the same combos with the same tempo over and over, and that the higher level guys are catching on to something. Its hard to give a detailed analysis without a visual aid of your sparring sessions.
Regardless, you'll find out eventually, and be able to bust through this sticking point.
Ithink it has more to do with my little options when countering i only have that left hand .
As for combos i have alot but they look that they are getting telegraphed easily eventhough my punches are too loose and hard to predict i don't know why and sometimes i'm hesitant to attack i try as much as i can to attack and stay in my range and lot of times i miss because of that

That combo is great...another reason to throw the hook is to corral them towards your low kick so they shift weight and can't check in time. I'm sure you already know this and it's not exactly on topic lol.

But...to keep on topic for TS, you can also throw the same combos but vary which ones the actual power shots are each time to keep your sparring partner off balance (mentally).

Probably terrible wording on that last sentence but just think about how the Diaz bros throw...a good amount of pitter patter stuff with some heavy shots mixed in. The trick is not letting your opponent know ahead of time which shots are the heavy ones.

That combo is great...another reason to throw the hook is to corral them towards your low kick so they shift weight and can't check in time. I'm sure you already know this and it's not exactly on topic lol.

I know that one. When they block, and you'd throw the hook near the bottom of the forearms, near the elbow to "push" their arms to turn them, and land the chop nicely.

Back