Disappointed In Jones

I find it odd that people are defending Jones. When Machida snuck away with the win in the first Shogun fight people were up in arms about a rematch. Machida manned up and accepted because it was a great fight.

It's not the same. Gus/jones was really close and could have gone either way. Shogun/machida wasn't close at all, Shogun completely outclassed Machida and was never losing at any point in the fight. I think Gus deserves an immediate rematch, but not nearly as much as Shogun did. Gus was the victim of probably the 5th worst decision in UFC title fight history (should have been a draw). Shogun was the victim of by far the worst.

It's not the same. Gus/jones was really close and could have gone either way. Shogun/machida wasn't close at all, Shogun completely outclassed Machida and was never losing at any point in the fight. I think Gus deserves an immediate rematch, but not nearly as much as Shogun did. Gus was the victim of probably the 5th worst decision in UFC title fight history (should have been a draw). Shogun was the victim of by far the worst.

I still think Machida won the first fight, he had 2 rounds and another was in the air as who won....the scenerio is no different. Machida was very good at selling to the judges that he was taking minor damage, and you see fighters do that more and more.

I find it odd that people are defending Jones. When Machida snuck away with the win in the first Shogun fight people were up in arms about a rematch. Machida manned up and accepted because it was a great fight.

i agree, and it's weird because this is coming from fans. it's almost as if some people around here think they're jon jones's manager and are looking out for his best interest.

i don't know about some of you, but i want to see champions challenged. gustafsson gave jones by far his toughest fight, and some fans don't want to see a rematch? why not let those two fight again and have teixeira wait? i'd say the odds are in the favor of gustafsson giving jones a tougher fight over teixeira simply for the fact that we've seen what gustafsson can do against jones. with glover, no one has a clue. best to go with what you're more confident about.

I'm am NOT a fan of Jones, and this solidifies that. That said, I'm fine with the no rematch. I like that it will be a new contender, and if Gus is the real-deal (which it certainly seems like), he'll earn another shot in short order. Jones can think whatever he wants, but ultimately, if Gus earns No. 1 again, no one that isn't Jon Jones is going to say "the first fight was a dominant win".

I've been wanting to see Glover fight Jones for a while now, and especially now that Gus exposed who the REAL Jones is, and his many holes, I'm glad there won't be an instant rematch. I also can't wait for Gus to beat Jones up again and because they are so young that they will meet again. Jones seems like a punk ass kid to me--one that would ragdoll me haha--but a punk ass kid no less. If he had to rewatch the fight that many times to come to a decisive conclusion that he decisively won, than they would have to fight that many times for us to come to a decisive conclusion on who the better fighter is.

Remember when Machida said that he won every round against Shogun in the first fight? I remember him saying something to the affect of "If Lyoto lost then why is Lyoto still the champion?"

We all know what happened in his next fight. Glover via KO via karma.

Remember when arrogant Jon Jones was suppose to get smashed by the greatest LHW in the game and this picture was just foreshadowing?

bfae6cc8-947f-3195-929e-dff39ac13739.jpg

Stop projecting, there's no such thing as karma.

jones is gonna fight glover (hopefully lose) then probably fight davis or gus

He's got crazy money, endorsements for days, and has the opportunity to make himself and a VERY worthy challenger rich. He won't. I'll never cheer for Jon unless he's on the wrong end of a beatdown.

1. The fact that you said Jones is scared proves you are a hater. Why on earth would he be scared of a guy he just a week ago and beat at his own game and nearly finished him?

2. You are a Jones hater, thats why you made sure to say you are not one first to get that out the way, your post has Jones hate all over it.

Thank you for posting what quite possibly is the most childish collection of remarks every published on Sherdog. You're clearly no more than 12 years old and your mom should change her passwords on her computer immediately.

i agree, and it's weird because this is coming from fans. it's almost as if some people around here think they're jon jones's manager and are looking out for his best interest.

i don't know about some of you, but i want to see champions challenged. gustafsson gave jones by far his toughest fight, and some fans don't want to see a rematch? why not let those two fight again and have teixeira wait? i'd say the odds are in the favor of gustafsson giving jones a tougher fight over teixeira simply for the fact that we've seen what gustafsson can do against jones. with glover, no one has a clue. best to go with what you're more confident about.

Agreed. Anderson Silva got knocked the fuck out and got an instant rematch. Jones' win over Gus wasn't even close to "decisive". Everyone knows it. It was a very close fight and many, even other professional fighters, feel Gus was the winner. It is what it is. If Jones really wants to test that "warrior spirit", he'd take it in a heartbeat.

Jones wants the easiest route possible to records and money.

Some people care what others think of them. Others care about money. Jones is the latter.

Its up to Dana and the UFC to make sure the fans get the fights they want instead of allowing the champions to pick/choose/duck whenever they want.

I was thrilled when they made Anderson take the Weidman fight when he didnt want it... But now with this whole "the champ wants what the champ wants" BS i really feel like this is the route the UFC is headed towards.

Gus gave Jones his toughest fight, and came up a little short. While I'd be perfectly fine with a rematch because it was a great fight, why is it absurd for me to want to see Glover get his chance? Glover has huge power, good submissions, is on a 20-fight win streak and was promised his shot.

Plus, Jones and Gus are young and will fight again, very likely one fight from now. Glover is already 33 and doesn't have as much time left as they do. He's earned his shot, he deserves his shot, and I don't know why you have a problem with people wanting to see him get it. As you said, we don't have a clue how he'll do, but you seem to be writing him off.

Agreed. Anderson Silva got knocked the fuck out and got an instant rematch. Jones' win over Gus wasn't even close to "decisive". Everyone knows it. It was a very close fight and many, even other professional fighters, feel Gus was the winner. It is what it is. If Jones really wants to test that "warrior spirit", he'd take it in a heartbeat.

Were you calling for Edgar to get a third fight with Bendo? How about an immediate rematch for Melendez? Faber and Cruz?

He won a unanimous decision, and pretty much everyone who covers MMA in a professional capacity agreed with it.

Both are in their mid-20s. There is absolutely zero reason for an immediate rematch.

"I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

Assuming both win their next fights, let's see if the promise is kept. It probably will be.

I am too. I'm most upset because Jones knows perfectly well Glover isn't his best opponent and he's admitted as much. He's also admitted Gus gave him a great fight and beforehand that Gus would be a challenge He knows that Gus deserves the shot more than Glover but wants the Glover fight anyway. This really is fight ducking. To think like 10 minutes before this news came out I was posting about how Jones never ducked fights damm.

Btw, at the time I first posted this thread, the comment that Jones said he would fight Gus after Glover weren't available to me at the time.

I feel I should point out that Gus is nowhere near being "rich". He made well under 100k for his title fight AFTER the fight of the night bonus. So not only is Jones denying an indisputably deserved rematch, he's also denying Gus the money he deserves. BTW I scored the second round and the fight a draw.

Bet you he made a few hundred thousand in undisclosed payouts

Gus gave Jones his toughest fight, and came up a little short. While I'd be perfectly fine with a rematch because it was a great fight, why is it absurd for me to want to see Glover get his chance? Glover has huge power, good submissions, is on a 20-fight win streak and was promised his shot.

Plus, Jones and Gus are young and will fight again, very likely one fight from now. Glover is already 33 and doesn't have as much time left as they do. He's earned his shot, he deserves his shot, and I don't know why you have a problem with people wanting to see him get it. As you said, we don't have a clue how he'll do, but you seem to be writing him off.

like i said: as a fan, i want to see jones challenged. i'm more confident in gustafsson doing this, than i am with teixeira. and as a fan, i'm not concerned with which fighter deserves which fight. i'm concerned with watching challenging fights. that's what makes for great fights.

when you're talking about the champions of divisions, i think it's necessary that they fight the toughest challengers. and since gustafsson gave him his toughest fight with a controversial decision, i think it's warranted.

Jones wants the easiest route possible to records and money.

Some people care what others think of them. Others care about money. Jones is the latter.

Its up to Dana and the UFC to make sure the fans get the fights they want instead of allowing the champions to pick/choose/duck whenever they want.

I was thrilled when they made Anderson take the Weidman fight when he didnt want it... But now with this whole "the champ wants what the champ wants" BS i really feel like this is the route the UFC is headed towards.

by fighting more often than other champions and against top competition, yeah right

Back