Social Disabled employee wins $125m lawsuit from Wal-Mart

Hadron90

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/walmart-loses-eeoc-disability-discrimination-lawsuit.html

• Wal-Mart hires an employee with down syndrome who works at the company just fine for several years
  • Wal-Mart starts using an algorithm to adjust employee working times. Her schedule is changed from 12-4 to 1-5:30.
  • The new schedule conflicts with bus schedules, making it difficult for her to travel. Her family argues to Wal-Mart that this is causing her a bunch of stress. Walmart refuses to adjust the schedule.
  • After a few months, she racks up several tardies and is terminated.
  • She sues. Jury finds that Wal-Mart failed to make reasonable accommodations for her and awards her $125M.
So I agree with the jury here that Wal-Mart did her dirty. Adjusting her schedule back by an hour would be a small change for them, but would drastically help her out and they should have done so. But $125M seems insane, no? This should have been like a $100k suit. That's a crazy amount.

Me, going to Walmart to submit an application -

R.422d43e2c0da1c6eabeaf3d281621931

I heard about this other day, she worked there 16 years and they fired her over her not wanting to accept a schedule change. According to them, they changed her hours only to a time she had informed them she was available to work. I don’t know the details beyond that but I’d like to think if someone is with a company 16 years and had a disability, they would make every effort to work together on a solution. But yeah 125 mil is stupid although I also thought I read that federal law caps it at 300k so that’s all they expect to have to pay

These giant corporations are disgusting. This poor girl has to go through life with down-syndrome, and you can't even cut her some slack on her schedule (That Wal-Mart caused). I'm glad the jury hooked her up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/walmart-loses-eeoc-disability-discrimination-lawsuit.html

• Wal-Mart hires an employee with down syndrome who works at the company just fine for several years
  • Wal-Mart starts using an algorithm to adjust employee working times. Her schedule is changed from 12-4 to 1-5:30.
  • The new schedule conflicts with bus schedules, making it difficult for her to travel. Her family argues to Wal-Mart that this is causing her a bunch of stress. Walmart refuses to adjust the schedule.
  • She sues. Jury finds that Wal-Mart failed to make reasonable accommodations for her and awards her $125M.
So I agree with the jury here that Wal-Mart did her dirty. Adjusting her schedule back by an hour would be a small change for them, but would drastically help her out and they should have done so. But $125M seems insane, no? This should have been like a $100k suit. That's a crazy amount.
125 million is ridiculous.

1 million would have sent a message and been very generous.

I heard about this other day, she worked there 16 years and they fired her over her not wanting to accept a schedule change. According to them, they changed her hours only to a time she had informed them she was available to work. I don’t know the details beyond that but I’d like to think if someone is with a company 16 years and had a disability, they would make every effort to work together on a solution. But yeah 125 mil is stupid although I also thought I read that federal law caps it at 300k so that’s all they expect to have to pay
I hope they pay 300k. That doesn’t offend me.

$300k would be completely reasonable. I am all for the tard here, that just struck me as an insane sum.

Maybe Walmart should sue the jury for refusing to change their payout schedule.

I read an article that said there was a law that limited settlements to $200K.

$125 mill is obviously too high, but jurors want to send a message. $200K is too low. $200K for walmart is like a quarter to us. And considering how long she worked there, should be atleast $400K . Cases like this should have punitive damages the company needs to pay State and Federal governments.

I completely agree with her winning but the amount seems extreme. What are the chances she actually gets that amount minus legal fees? I feel like Walmart will have an appeal or something to reduce the amount paid.

Also fuck Walmart for managing employees with algorithms like that. Amazon did something similar by having an algorithm fire people for poor performance. You would just receive a text message saying what you did and your fired. They are not even pretending that their employees are human anymore. Just replaceable trash.

I haven't followed the details in the case but usually judges/juries will hit a big company with a huge chunk of change when its been asked repeatedly to stop a certain policy. Its the courts way of making it hurt, not necessarily in relation to the specific case. I believe that is what the McDonalds coffee spill dollar amount was so high.

But don't forget there is appeals and all other kind of things to bring that amount down.

Adjusted hours and 100k settlement would have been great . This was just un needed stupidity and will be adjusted on appeal but not as much as needed. Wal mart likely pays about 10 mil as a pay out. I really doubt that 125 mil rulling already went thru appeal.

It’s a regular occurrence from what I’ve heard… Working their employees right up until they’re due for a raise or promotion & letting them go.

This case just happens to have a disability to excuse.

Last edited:
Back