Dirty Harry vs The French Connection

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a couple movies that both came out in 1971 about tough cops.

The French Connection won academy awards for best picture, best director, best actor and best adapted screenplay.

Dirty Harry didn't win any awards but arguably set the blueprint for a whole genre of cop movies

So which one is better?

Dirty Harry. That a movie like The French Connection won so many awards compared to a movie like Dirty Harry helps show the tremendously narrow vision of such award formats.

Do you really gots to know?

The French Connection. I love Dirty Harry and all
But the FC is the better film.

Although the William Friedkin film is undoubtedly a classic, I've always preferred Don Siegel's DIRTY HARRY to THE FRENCH CONNECTION. IMO, DIRTY HARRY is a much more intense, involving movie that grabs the viewer from the start & never lets up until its satisfying finale. Plus, I think Clint Eastwood's "Dirty" Harry Callahan is a bit more of an identifiable character than is Gene Hackman's "Popeye" Doyle.

Definitely Dirty Harry, even though I like both films.

Shame that French Connection 2 gets no love. It's a pretty good film.

French Connection was a better film at the time, but Dirty Harry is a far better character.

Choosing which one to watch now, I'd watch Dirty Harry first.

Dirty Harry had too much CGI, so I'm going with The French Connection.

I didn't care for Doyle, so FC fell flat for me. Callahan is the GOAT movie cop.

Dirty Harry.

Better threads would be:

The Conversation vs The French Connection

Or

Dirty Harry vs Death Wish

The new yorker in me gotta go w FC.

FC but Dirty Harry is the better character. That being said I’m a Popeyes I find his gritty, racist, asshole personality more endearing than whatever lines Eastwood snarls. Also the villain in Dirty Harry was ridiculous especially for being “inspired” by the Zodiac.

One thing I was always curios about why Popeye keeps asking the one guy if he's been picking his feet. Is that some kind of dope slang?
No,he just kept saying that shit to unnerve him. The crim had no idea wtf he was talking about and couldnt think straight.

Here's a couple movies that both came out in 1971 about tough cops.

The French Connection won academy awards for best picture, best director, best actor and best adapted screenplay.

Dirty Harry didn't win any awards but arguably set the blueprint for a whole genre of cop movies

So which one is better?
I liked the sequel of the two films combined called Dirty Hairy French Connection.

Back