Dirty BJJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude don't worry it's only natural that you go through this. alot of "big' guys go through the same problem you have, just try to relax and have fun.

as for your arm triangle hurting your classmates. i think i know what you are doing wrong.

i think that when you put your weight on your opponent's arm you are not putting it on the tricep but lower on his arm/shoulder area. this will cause your opponent to feel strain on his neck insead of feeling the choke. next time try to put weight on the tricep closer to the elbow. hope this helps.

Spend your time in the gym on a tread mill running and doing plyometric lifting instead of hitting the dumbbells. I have shaved almost 35 lbs. of size off since I started bjj. It isn't functional. Just keep showing up and keep a good attitude. If you have power lifted, you know you didn't develop your strength in the first few weeks. BJJ is the same. It takes a year to become even aware. Two years to become proficient. Four years you are starting to get pretty good until you meet a brown belt. And on and on. IT takes time and you are going to get out of it what you put into it. Don't look at it as winnign/losing. Look at it as trying and learning. Just work on not getting submitted and making the match go as long as possible. Those should be your goals now.

I was 230 when I started and I was getting tapped by guys I had 90 lbs. on.

Once you learn proper technique, you can combine it with power and strength. Then you'll be amazing

Stick in there dude, I`m 6`5" 255lbs and when I first started I was being manhandled by everyone but BJJ isn`t something you can learn over night. There are times when your strength will help you but for now try and learn good technique as you will be thankful for it in the longrun even if you are gettin tapped by everyone at the moment.

When I was sparring I concentrated mostly on my guard game sweeps subs etc and also on my flexability and a few years down the line I only use my strength when I really need to.

SaSHMMA said:
LOL

Lifting weights alone will not give you any functional strength or skill in any sport but weight lifting. It astonishes me that you think otherwise.

yeah because football players, basketball players, hockey players, fighters and almost every other competitive athlete doesnt lift weights right?

When I started BJJ I got swept and tapped by men in their 40s who I would have been much stronger and quicker than. Only the other day I saw a new guy get tapped 3 times in a couple of minutes by a 48kg, white belt, girl.

That is what BJJ does. If you don't know any technique your strength and size mean pretty much nothing (except that you can maybe avoid being tapped for a bit longer).

Don't use your strength for now, just stick with the techniques you get shown. When you're in class, you're there to learn and to get better, not to win. Save your strength for competition, or when you're rolling in class at competition level.

You could do competetive eating... but thats not really a ma

Kozma said:
yeah because football players, basketball players, hockey players, fighters and almost every other competitive athlete doesnt lift weights right?

lol he didnt say they dont lift weights.

First of all, only roll with people at least roughly the same size as you, or bigger. Rolling with little runts is pointless (maybe once in a while, just for fun, but that's it). Even if they're technical enough to give resistance, rolling with small guys will only lure you into using strength instead of technique and everytime you tap them, they will yap about your strength advantage as an excuse.

Roll with big guys who are as strong or stronger than you, that'll force you to use technique.

And of course, drill the basics like crazy and when you get a submission, put the pressure on slowly. Cranking your submissions is the best way to become hated by everyone at the club, no matter where you train.
If he escapes your submission, it's not because you didn't crank it fast enough, it's because your position wasn't stable enough. Everytime you make a mistake, like losing position or getting caught in a sub, try to think about what you did wrong and do it better the next time, and ask your instructor for help. That's how you learn and improve.

Just drop your ego and realize that your still only a beginner and after a while it will become fun again.

Guys... this thread was started in January. It is now October (9 months later). There's no need to continue to give the thread starter encouragement to stick with BJJ (either he has or hasn't by this point).

beatin'stick said:
Yeah, man. Put pride aside in the gym and learn the techniques of leverage and position. Then if you compete or fight, that part will come naturally and your power can see you through rough spots or buy you an advantage.

Why in the fuck did this guy re-open a thread from like a year ago, with a post like this? Yah, I'm sure he's going to be looking for responses 9 months later. Fucking troll

Go the fuck home or train legitamitly. "I wanna just lift weights and be the best ever" Go train with Tank Abbot. You have to learn technique. Even in something like wrestling that favors speed and power there is a shitload of technique behind every martial art. Decide if you want to learn, if so do it. If not, get off the pot

me being a smaller guy 5'8" 155 lbs i do dislike it when im rolling with bigger guys in the gym & ill tap them using technique. & they get pissed & try to manhandle me & exert way too much power on me after all its practice & your not trying to hurt your training partners have respect for them especially us little guys & trust me not to be biased but learn from smaller guys the technique its what most rely on& if your a big guy & have good technique your bjj will come full circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back