Dillashaw's Post-Mortem: Garbrandt is Reckless and Chinless

Which of these statements do you agree with?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I think he has some technical problems that he needs to fix,” Dillashaw said at UFC 227’s post-fight press conference. “And I really don’t believe he’s got a chin. He plays a dangerous game. He likes to get in there and he likes to slug it.”

Garbrandt caught Dillashaw early with a right hand and rocked him — much like what happened in the first round of their initial encounter last November. And just like the first time, Dillashaw came firing back. In this case, though, the rally came quicker. Dillashaw finished Garbrandt by TKO in the second round in New York. It took him just 4:17 this time.

Dillashaw, 32, said he and his team, including striking coach Duane Ludwig, pinpointed a key technical error that Garbrandt makes and trained to exploit it.

“We were planning on him throwing a right hand,” Dillashaw said. “Every time he throws a right hand, he drops his left. He’s looking to throw a left hook. He’s fast. He throws a big right, left hand. But he drops it to his pocket. So were planning on timing it.”

. . .

“I’m in too good of shape to let up the throttle. He’s not gonna be able to recover. I’m gonna be able to push the pace always.”

In the first fight, Dillashaw said he was surprised about a kick he landed dropping Garbrandt and leading to a finish. That was where the poor chin theory came from, he said. And Dillashaw believes it was proven again Saturday.

“It wasn’t anything in sparring,” Dillashaw said. “Cody was coming into the team as I was leaving, so we didn’t really get to work out as much as has been in the media. It was more when I hit him in the first fight with my foot. I dropped him with that left kick. I didn’t feel like that left kick had anything on it, but it affected him.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...gerous-game-and-i-dont-believe-hes-got-a-chin

TJ is 32? Damn I thought he was still in his 20s

Reckless for sure. Idk bout the chin, I think TJ is too good a striker to say anyone could do that to Cody.

I disagree with him having a bad chin, he is reckless, gets hit often by dropping his left, and as a result gets stopped by TJ 2x. Cody was never completely out, just on queer street despite all of TJ's shots; hard to say its a bad chin when he isn't out cold despite eating 4309687548954 punches.

I don't think either applies, I think that TJ was just an emotional circumstance that caused him to fight reckless.

I don't think either applies, I think that TJ was just an emotional circumstance that caused him to fight reckless.

Wreckless. I'd still say Cody has the best hands in the division, when he actually fights smart.
ugBYvTc.jpg

When he fights smart he can beat anyone in the division. Notice how he actually moves his head, and doesn't wind up on the hook. The ability and skill are both obviously there...

The fight IQ isn't. Cody proved he had solid defensive boxing against Cruz. For some reason, he went full retard against TJ with his emotion.
AridPointlessBasil-size_restricted.gif
RecklessPointlessCopepod-size_restricted.gif

If Cody fought this wrecklessly against Cruz he would've lost. TAM is trash.

Last edited:
Team Alpha Male ruined Cody by making the TJ beef so public and putting the camp on his back.

He can't control his emotions and fought dumb. TAM isnt going to really help Cody improve more anyway.

He fought differently against TJ because TJ actually, you know, fought him and was a threat to hurt him. Completely different scenario than against Dom who's in there to dance, throw baby leg kicks, and run.

Hard to say. Eating the right hook three times in a row will drop most people...and it didnt ko him. Def reckleas as shit. You dont normally see someone eat three right hands like that in a title fight.

Cody's new nickname should be Snekk Jr as he was confirmed to be TJ's son

He fought differently against TJ because TJ actually, you know, fought him and was a threat to hurt him. Completely different scenario than against Dom who's in there to dance, throw baby leg kicks, and run.

Both fights again TJ Cody has had him hurt via superior boxing and then let his emotions get to him and start head hunting recklessly to force a KO instead of waiting for it come. He fought differently not because of TJ's skills and threat, but because he let his emotions get the better of him both times.

Wreckless. I'd still say Cody has the best hands in the division, when he actually fights smart.
ugBYvTc.jpg

When he fights smart he can beat anyone in the division. Notice how he actually moves his head, and doesn't wind up on the hook. The ability and skill are both obviously there...

The fight IQ isn't. Cody proved he had solid defensive boxing against Cruz. For some reason, he went full retard against TJ with his emotion.

If Cody fought this wrecklessly against Cruz he would've lost.
Judging by those clips he made the same mistake against both Cruz and TJ, with the difference being that TJ landed and capitalized. Just like TJ's remarks say in the OP: Cody drops his left when he throws his right.

I think all the drama and tj was in his head. He was just gunning for that knockout

I think all the drama and tj was in his head. He was just gunning for that knockout

Judging by those clips he made the same mistake against both Cruz and TJ, with the difference being that TJ landed and capitalized. Just like TJ's remarks say in the OP: Cody drops his left when he throws his right.
Regardless of the left hand, against Cruz he was actually moving his head with the punch. Against TJ, he was just winding up with his chin straight up in the air. Only John Lineker can get away with fighting like that. All Cody had to do was duck under the punch. TJ even gave him a couple of chances to figure that out, because he blasted him with the same hook three times in a row before dropping him lol. Like I said, Cody has the fight IQ of a cavemen. Any other BW would kill to have his power and handspeed.

Last edited:
Cody was playing his usual game and TJ read him brilliantly.

Cody wasn't just standing in the pocket, he initiated the exchanges. TJ countered Cody 3x perfectly. Cody leads with his right or slaps his lead hook to center his opponents head and setup his right hand... every time TJ saw or felt Cody's hook & loaded right, TJ intercepted with his own right:

There are so many novice strikers in MMA who plod forward with predictable left, right, left, right sequences it was refreshing to see TJ triple up and surprise Cody. Doubling / tripling attacks is top tier level striking rarely seen in MMA.

You guys aren't giving TJ his credit. This was a sublime counter sequence by TJ.​

Voted for all 3.

Voted for all 3.
ugBYvTc.jpg

Love the gif where TJ knows the right is coming, so he moves his head to the left and scores the KD. Such a skilled fighter with great IQ.

You can’t just swing haymakers and expect good results. He was patient and smart again Cruz.

ugBYvTc.jpg

Love the gif where TJ knows the right is coming, so he moves his head to the left and scores the KD. Such a skilled fighter with great IQ.

TJ is 32? Damn I thought he was still in his 20s
To his merit.. the guy is always in amazing shape and seems to take his career very serious. I would not be surprised to see him fight at high level even at 36+ years.

You can’t just swing haymakers and expect good results. He was patient and smart again Cruz.
Styles makes fights and I think Cruz being pillowfisted made Cody more confident and relaxed. TJ has some serious power at 135. It is harder to get loose when you are standing in front of a guy that can take your head off.

Back