Dillashaw doesn't believe Barao deserves an immediate rematch

Barao needs to fight someone else first. Sometimes when a fighter has that kind of win streak they have a really hard time recovering from a loss. He needs to find out if he can bounce back and a title fight is not a good bounce back fight.

I didn't get to watch the fight Saturday.
Was it as one sided as 5 rounds of Silva vs Forrest would have been? Or did Barao at least have a few good moments?

the guy didn't lose for like 10 years. Of course he deserves the rematch.
He's 8-1 versus decent competition.
Beating 20 nobodies in Brazil shouldn't count for much.
His career really started around 2011. Anything before that is a big question mark.
Was it as one sided as 5 rounds of Silva vs Forrest would have been? Or did Barao at least have a few good moments?
He got tooled for 5 rounds. TJ was landing everything he wanted and Renan wasn't landing shit. Didn't look dominant because TJ wasn't throwing with full power, but it was definitely one-sided.
You could count Barao's "good moments" on one hand.

Can't help but feel bad for Barao.
I love that gif though, the sequence is just beautiful.
There definitely shouldn't be an instant rematch.

TJ is right. Had he finished him in the first round it would have been possible to discuss it since that can be a "fluke" (and seeing how no one believed in TJ before the fight it would have been seen as such), but when he outclasses Barao for almost 5 rounds it's solidly proven that he was much better than his opponent.
Actually I think TJ is wrong. If he had finished him in the first round Barao still wouldn't deserve an instant rematch. TJ is just trying to be a bit understanding but if you finish the champ via KO or submission you've earned the belt and the former champ should have to work his way up. This is MMA, a first round finish is a legit win. I don't care if it is a fluke and the loser would win 9/10 times, he lost the one time it mattered.

The only time instant rematches are okay to me are in case of fluke injuries (like the Vitor-Couture scenario or something like Varner-Krauss) or a really close decision like Machida-Shogun or Edgar-Penn and I'm not even that fond of them even in close decisions tbh.
Barao defended like once or twice. He wasn't dominant.
Three if you count the interim defenses, only once if you don't.

If you get finished, you don't deserve a rematch right away.

If it's a close decision then I can see the merit sometimes.

i used to be ok with immediate rematches, but i'm getting very tired of them. i say no thanks.

I didn't get to watch the fight Saturday.

Barao landed here in there and round 2 was somewhat competitive but TJ won every round up until the finish. I haven't look at the stats but it seemed like for every punch Barao landed TJ landed 3 or 4 and TJ had like three times as many kicks landed as well.

Let's get Dodson back up for another go.
1.gif

Half joking, but it'd be interesting to see how much faster TJ has become.

He is right.... It wasnt controversial or remotely competitive.

Immediate rematch,,,,, hahaha! D. Aiee,,,!,, believe me he doesnt want it, along with that peanut pay that comes with thebelt. Barao will fight on his day off take that 12 k to show 12 k to win... easy money,..

There's no way Barao should be getting a rematch. That was one of the biggest beatdowns in a title fight I've ever seen.

Back