Dillashaw doesn't believe Barao deserves an immediate rematch

I agree. Fight wasnt close at all and Barao has not achieve yet the notoriety level to get a rematch simply because ''He is Barao''

Barao don`t deserve a rematch but it`s to soon to TJ to be telling media who deserves fight him or who not.

Maybe he will be the next Matt Serra... Who knows.
And GSP had to beat Koscheck and Hughes to get his rematch with Serra.

Maybe TJ's 5 round beat down and finish was fluke because these days all anybody has to say is their fighter got hurt by a lucky punch early but he was too tough to be knocked out and fought for four more rounds on autopilot. There also is no such thing apparently as beating a guy to get the belt. You have to beat him twice in a row or beat him, fight someone else, and then beat him again.

GSP, one of the greatest fighters of all time had to earn his rematch after what was considered the luckiest and biggest upset of all time. A fluke win or a super close fight I can see one fight against a solid guy then a rematch. But if you get dominated for over 4 rounds and finished it should be 2 fights at least. There are doctors, coaches, and refs if Barao was really out on his feet after the punch in the first round. Either throw in the towel or accept your loss. Can't have it both ways

TJ had the right answer at the press conference - 'Makes no difference to me, the boss picks the fights, my job is to win'

I like TJ and I understand this is a response to a question in an interview, I just think his first (and seemingly visceral) answer right after the fight was the right one.

Let the promoters promote and figure out what moves the needle and raises awareness and interest in your division.

That would be a terrible fight world. Fighters should be able to voice their opinions on a matter such as this one. They aren't robots. There is no right answer that TJ could give, saying there is is just idiotic

And GSP had to beat Koscheck and Hughes to get his rematch with Serra.

Wasn't there something to that Hughes fight though, like he already had his rematch but Serra was injured or so he fought Hughes or something?

I agree with TJ, the problem is that Barao probably mops the floor with the entire rest of the division, even guys who would beat TJ.

Of course he shouldn't. TJ is 100% right. Barao didn't even win a round and got finished when Dillashaw could have just coasted.

Dillashaw is right the way he dominated means that Barao should go to at least a fighter back, Assuncao should get the next shot.

I want an instant rematch, but I just don't see it happening.

He doesn't.

this idea that you have to beat a champ twice for it to count is retarded.

TJ wins. If Barao gets an instant rematch and loses is that it? Is TJ really the champ?

If Barao wins does TJ get an instant rematch and if he wins this time is it done, is he really the champ or does Baroa get an instant rematch?

We saw with Weidman/Anderson 2 that Anderson fans en masse were saying if Anderson won the rematch Chris should not get a rubber match as it would prove his first win was just lucky (a Serra moment), which was them really saying the first win would not really matter.

No instant rematches other then in extremely controversial fights. That should be the rule. it makes a joke of the win dethroning the champ otherwise.

Wasn't there something to that Hughes fight though, like he already had his rematch but Serra was injured or so he fought Hughes or something?

I agree with TJ, the problem is that Barao probably mops the floor with the entire rest of the division, even guys who would beat TJ.

GSP beat Kos, Hughes was supposed to fight Serra for the title, Serra got injured, GSP stepped in on short notice to fight Hughes for the interim.

He doesn't.

this idea that you have to beat a champ twice for it to count is retarded.

TJ wins. If Barao gets an instant rematch and loses is that it? Is TJ really the champ?

If Barao wins does TJ get an instant rematch and if he wins this time is it done, is he really the champ or does Baroa get an instant rematch?

We saw with Weidman/Anderson 2 that Anderson fans en masse were saying if Anderson won the rematch Chris should not get a rubber match as it would prove his first win was just lucky (a Serra moment), which was them really saying the first win would not really matter.

No instant rematches other then in extremely controversial fights. That should be the rule. it makes a joke of the win dethroning the champ otherwise.

I hate instant rematches and have always felt that if you give one and lose, you should get an immediate rubber match because it's only fair.

I don't care if you get knocked out in the first five seconds, this is MMA and anything can happen; one fight should never define a fighter.

I honestly don't remember if GSP was supposed to fight Serra again earlier and Hughs was an injury replacement. If so that's a heck of a replacement. Not these days where it can be Cummings.

I guess I just miss the days where getting a title shot or a second shot or warning back the belt used to be harder. The UFC has never been particularly concerned about it but it does seem like it used to be more of the exception than the rule. These days, some people get mad if there is even one fight before a rematch. To me, instant rematches are a joke. You have to beat the same guy two times in a row basically for it to count. Anything other than that I can at least handle. But personally I think Barao should have to have 2 more fights after losing the way he did. Plus, it lets us see how TJ is in different matchups

Barao doesn't deserve a rematch but Dillashaw doesn't really make a valid point here. Barao was for all intents and purposes done after that overhand right landed in the first round, it doesn't matter that the finish came by strikes in the fifth as opposed as opposed to a choke in the first because either way the damage had already been done.

pretty sure I saw you (and I know I saw others) make this exact same argument re Cain/JDS2.

Many were saying Cain's dominance of JDS in the second fight was basically the same as JDS quick finish in the first fight because it all came down to one big punch early in the first and JDS would be the favorite in the rubber match.

Proven to be not an accurate statement after the 3rd match.

GSP beat Kos, Hughes was supposed to fight Serra for the title, Serra got injured, GSP stepped in on short notice to fight Hughes for the interim.
ah

Thanks for clearing that up

So GSP wasn't getting a rematch until 2 fights in-between regardless and offered to fight Hughes to ensure he got his rematch. Pretty ballsy actually. That's the kind of stuff I love. People not only earning it but willing to go thru a wall to get it. Not these days where the sense of entitlement creates this attitude like not just being given an instant rematch is an insult to them. If not by the fighters, definitely always by at least some of their fans. Get back in line and earn it.

Agreed, he should beat at least one respectable opponent for another title-shot.

Unfortunately it wasn't a close fight.. Barao was dominated.

TJ - Assunciaoaoao

Back