Different styles of Judo (Videos)

My judo coach is no slouch.

2x Olympic Festival Champion, 3x All Millitary Champion, 4x National Medalist, Masters National Champion, 5x Jr US Champion, 2x High School US Champion, 2x Collegiate National Champion, 2x Pan Am Bronze Medalist.

I'm pretty lucky to train with him, even if it's not as often as I'd like.

If you say WAR Wanderlei Silva, it's kind of like, "Go Wanderlei Silva", or "Fuck yea, Wanderlei Silva son!"

If someone is on the WAR wagon it means they're rooting for that person/place/thing hardcore.

thanks drew for the answer, instead of saying "when i was a noob i knew what it meant" and then proceed to not answer the question

I don't like Mongolian Judo, sure they look great when they managed to throw someone, but they use little combinations, its just shoot for kata guruma, fail, stall, get back up rinse and repeat until you win by koka or wazari.

Now with the new rules pretty much all will become Japanese judo.

My fave is Cuban judo, very explosive, very powerful, but it requires insane conditioning.

I found out about Israel Hernandez on another forum. He is from Cuba and he teaches Judo in Temecula, Ca. I have a private lesson with him on Wednesday and I will train with him a few times a month. If anyone is near Temecula by go check his school out. Here is a trailer on his videos.

YouTube - Israel Hernandez - Everything You Should Know About Seoi Nage (Trailer)

Hi Teamcarvalho,

That's cool. I train with Coach Israel and Coach Val. By any chance did you hear about the school through one of my threads? You'll definately like the training there. Good luck.

Canadian judo tends to borrow alot from other styles but never truly has it's own like Eastern Europe does. If it were more lucrative in Canada, I could see them being decent competitors. Gill is the only recent Judoka that comes to mind, losing to Inoue in Sydney to finish with Silver.

I think the japanese judo was the "prettiest" looking :D

these vids are just insane, whenever we practise judo throws at my academy, I pretty much lose spacial orientation the second I'm thrown, it's sick seeing these guys pull off insane counters in mid-air

Hi Teamcarvalho,

That's cool. I train with Coach Israel and Coach Val. By any chance did you hear about the school through one of my threads? You'll definately like the training there. Good luck.

Yeah saw it on another forum....I talked with Val last week and set up a private. I am probably going to do privates for a while since I can't take regular classes at night.

Yeah saw it on another forum....I talked with Val last week and set up a private. I am probably going to do privates for a while since I can't take regular classes at night.

Cool! She mentioned last week to me about you training in the mornings. Hope you like the training on Wednesday. See you around. :D

Cool! She mentioned last week to me about you training in the mornings. Hope you like the training on Wednesday. See you around. :D

Thanks man.....if it was not for your posting I would have gone to the other Judo school in Temecula. Yeah she seemed cool and I told her that I needed to work on my throws. Yeah I can't wait....do you know if they sell belts there...I need a white belt:icon_sad:

Thanks man.....if it was not for your posting I would have gone to the other Judo school in Temecula. Yeah she seemed cool and I told her that I needed to work on my throws. Yeah I can't wait....do you know if they sell belts there...I need a white belt:icon_sad:

I'm pretty sure she can get you a belt. I've been training nogi for the past few years so I had to buy a gi and it came with a belt. I saw some white belts hanging in the school so you can probably just borrow it until you get your own. I also started Judo to learn the throws. Coach Israel/Val teaches both (gi and nogi) throws and it's awesome stuff that you don't see much in BJJ.

I'm pretty sure she can get you a belt. I've been training nogi for the past few years so I had to buy a gi and it came with a belt. I saw some white belts hanging in the school so you can probably just borrow it until you get your own. I also started Judo to learn the throws. Coach Israel/Val teaches both (gi and nogi) throws and it's awesome stuff that you don't see much in BJJ.

Cool...thanks again

i'm starting judo at tohkon academy (chicago, IL) in the beginning of september. I think i fell in love with it when we learned basic takedown and throws like foot sweeps and hip tosses. watching those vids got me really excited about learning judo.

Ya it's called being thrown straight on their back, Canadians share a similar style.

owned_asian_baby.jpg

Back