Different Guards

burton.

White Belt
Reaction score
Can someone link me to videos on the multitude of guard types? I'm really looking to improve my defense/offense and would love to watch some videos on the side of my regular training.

I'm too lazy to find them all and post links. When you have time.. type these into youtube and something will come up:

Throwing out whatever guard comes to mind....

Full Guard
Half Guard
Butterfly Guard
X Guard
Spider Guard (GI) & (No-GI)
Rubber Guard
Shawn Williams Guard
Open guard (for general stuff)
De La Riva guard
Inverse Guard (also known as upside down guard)

Full Guard
Half Guard
Butterfly Guard
X Guard
Spider Guard (GI) & (No-GI)
Rubber Guard
Shawn Williams Guard
Open guard (for general stuff)
De La Riva guard
Inverse Guard (also known as upside down guard)

That is a good list. In addition:

Grasshoper guard (double sleeve control when hooking the legs under the body when your opponent is going for double under pass)

Crossed over guard - having a crossed over sleeve and the same side foot in the hip. made famous by pe de pano in the world championships.

Sit guard - similar to butter fly guard but with one foot coiled

Hook guard (not plural) - from the knees you have belt control and the rear foot hooks on the out side of your opponents leg. made famous by braulio estima.

Reverse De La Riva- Traditional DLR is threading the leg through the leg. This time you the foot through the leg, up and around if that makes sense. Foot control of your opponent is always good too.

Hope this helps.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-5852410019601290551&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

This thread had me convinced that there was an imposter! :icon_chee

There are no different Guards. Carry on.

Awesome thank you. I wiki'd the guards and found all the different names... i guess it never clicked to youtube it... sorry.

Back