1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Different grips for taking the back

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by lethalazn, Oct 31, 2010.

1. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    1. Going straight over-under grip

YouTube - marcelo garcia vs vitor shaolin ribiero

2. Grabbing the leg during scramble/opponent turtling first and then transitioning to over-under

YouTube - Ryan Hall Path to The Back

Well maybe not THAT fancy, that video was just there to grab your attention :icon_chee

I've spent most of my time doing BJJ doing the first one but I'm noticing there are opportunities where the second one (okay..not the whole fancy rolling under thing, just holding their leg/hips with your arms) could work a bit better.

When is it better to just go straight for the over-under?
    When is it better to control the leg first? Will this be a common move soon or is it just something that Eddie Bravo & Ryan Hall are going to be using?

2. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

3. Guerilla_Radio

Guerilla_Radio Blue Belt

Over under is more common and the safer approach to take back (IMO)...Ryan/Eddie appears to be more oppertunity/position based.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

How about this one?

@ 0:37

There are countless crazy ways to take the back, and some of them do involve hooking a leg first, like this Jeff Glover one, or the "ninja roll" one, or the "rockstar" one that Gerbil posted. I think these ones are kind of low-percentage and require a great deal of agility, but they are so sick if you can pull them off.

For the record the Ryan Hall back take from deep half was extremely impressive, but not actually that technically crazy. He goes for a standard half guard sweep, comes out the back door in that banana split position, and then basically just rotates and puts the other hook in. It was a sick move, but it's also practical and anyone could do it (just not to Hermes Franca). It didn't strike me as some goofy low-percentage thing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

Yeah I notice that Ryan Hall puts people in that banana split-ish position before taking the back quite often,

YouTube - Gracie Nationals 2010 Highlight like 1:15 in this video

I'm just wondering when going for that would work better than going straight for the over under

6. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I guess just when you're taking the back from deep half guard? Not sure how else to answer that question.