1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Different coaching for boxing vs mma striking

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Jah peqenho, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Jah peqenho

Jah peqenho Orange Belt

Hey guys
    I will pop my cherry as a ts with a serious question

I know boxing technique and mma striking technique is different, any one with a head on proper can see that.
    My question is, whats the difference in coaching, between striking for mma and boxing, or more precisley what do mma striking coaches teach diifferentley, whats the difference in practice between training boxing and training striking for mma?

2. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

A boxing coach should teach you how to box and it's up to you on how to implement into your broader skillset. If you're going to show up at a boxing gym with a closed mind and immediately dismiss something you're in the process of learning because you think that it wouldn't work in an MMA fight, then don't even bother. You need to check you ego in at the door before you commit to it.

3. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

A lot of MMA gyms have actual real boxing coaches to help their standup.

4. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

The difference is that a real boxing coach will teach you and enforce all the fundamentals of boxing.

An "MMA Coach" trying to teach boxing will ruin your technique and teach you wrong fundamentals.

Go to a boxing gym at least once a week please.

5. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    lol there's no difference between boxing and "MMA Striking"

There are tons of "MMA Strikers" who just box.

Ill tell you what ive told like 50 billion people on this site in the past 48 hours

GO TO A STRIKING GYM AND LEARN HOW TO STRIKE AND CONTINUE TO GO TO MMA GYMS TO LEARN HOW TO IMPLIMENT STRIKING INTO YOUR SKILLSET

6. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

No difference between the two?

That's why guys like Kenny Florian switched to having a specific boxing coach (Peter Welch). And as you can see, he looks much better on the feet.

Same goes for BJ Penn (boxing coach is Jason Parillo).

I've started out in amateur boxing and then went to an MMA gym and there IS a difference between the two.

7. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Just curious, who is Edgar's boxing coach?

9. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

You do realize that your effectively agreeing with him right? He's saying you want to learn to box, learn boxing. You want to learn to kickbox, learn kickboxing. After you have the technique and things down, learn to adapt it to mma( things like defending tds).

10. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

He's the same as Almeida's boxing coach. Mark Henry. No, not the Mark Henry that used to be on WWF or whatever it is these days.

11. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

Not quite. His statement that I disagreed with is as follows:

"lol there's no difference between boxing and "MMA Striking"

My post was to say that there is a difference.

In the second post, I totally agreed with him. I just re-read what he said. Hah. Oh well. You win some; you lose some.

12. tkdfighter

tkdfighter White Belt

We got our boxing coach at my MMA gym, his name is Rob Radford, he was Rich Franklins boxing coach.

13. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

[YT]2m0bAWU4gKk[/YT]

That guy is a boxing coach???

14. austinlarg

austinlarg Banned Banned

That would have been really funny....except for the fact that I specifically said that I wasn't talking about the guy that was in WWF.

15. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Boxing and MMA technique is not different. A properly thrown punch is a properly thrown punch, same goes for kicks, elbows, etc..... Proper technique does not change just because it is MMA, the application of proper technique does change depending on the rules and regulations that dictate how the fight is fought. My opinion, MMA striking as an art does not exist, or should not exist. MMA striking is nothing more than striking used in other disciplines like boxing or MT, but under a different set of rules and regulations. I don't see MMA as a "form" of fighting, it is a "format" that fights take place under. My opinion, to learn to box, you gotta box. To learn muay thai, you gotta train muay thai. To fight in MMA, you gotta learn to take what you know and apply it to the rules that govern the fight!

As for the coaching, it depends. There are alot of good boxing and muay thai coaches that teach in MMA gyms. They are not MMA striking coaches, they are boxing or MT coaches in an MMA gym. My personal opinion, is that any individual striking art taught at an MMA gym has the tendency to get "watered down" under the premise of "MMA". It shouldn't, but it does. Not to say that is always the case, just from my experience.

The difference in sport specific MMA and Boxing coaching is very different, since the variables that dictate the fight are very different. That doesn't mean that a boxing coach is only for boxers, as boxing is a big part of MMA striking. My opinion, you wanna learn to box, learn from a boxing coach. You want to learn to grapple, learn from a grappling coach, etc...... MMA is about taking the individual techniques from boxing, MT, BJJ, or whatever else and then learning how to apply and translate those skills effectively in MMA.

16. aries

aries Silver Belt

I think it's much better to first learn how to box correctly then adapt it to MMA than start training your boxing through MMA first. The same with Muay Thai.

17. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

theres a difference and the difference is in mma you can add kicks, knees, and elbows to your arsinal.

18. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

Also having to receive them with the worry of being taken down.

19. Uchaaa**

Uchaaa** Banned Banned

I think the blocking is different because of the different sidze of the gloves.

20. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

You learn much more defense than just the double forearm block in boxing.