Differences between Wrestling and BJJ?

I know this thread is very old, but since I stumbled upon it I just wanted to say this thread started out fine until this moron chimed in changing the whole thing. It was obvious from the beginning that this was all about jiu jitsu vs wrestling in a ground match with no slamming or any strikes, but this loser just had to change the whole conversation. So glad to see he is banned.

All you guys saying zhu zhitsu by sub(!) in a 'fight' are obviously not taking into account several variables....

1) Striking. I can't believe we're entertaining this kind of discussion in f12, but with 5-0 on this page saying bjj>>wrestling in a "fight" ...uhg... I just feel I have to defend my art a little with some perspective. Think rampage/arona, kaufman/modaferri... and many other examples... On concrete.

We know wrestling does just FINE in mma. so you all must be talking about teh meen streetz! Headbutt, knees to a downed opponent, etc are all on the table.

We've all heard the saying, hit a blackbelt once he becomes a brown belt, twice and he becomes a purple, etc... If the wrestler has some nice GnP, it's going to be a short night for the bjj guy.

2) Slams are allowed.

This ain't yer point BJJ. Got a nice armbar/triangle locked in from the guard?? You better hope this fight is taking place on a MAT of some kind, or your life might end there on the spot.

3) On a mat or in the mean streetz?

Again ya better pray it's on a mat. If the wrestler decides to adjust your trajectory in mid air and spike you on your head.... well let's just say it'll leave a mess on the sidewalk.

4) Whos got the better stand up.

If the bjj guy has the better stand up the wrestler can take his chances with his GnP. If the wrestler has the better stand up, the bjj guy is teh fucked.

As someone who trains both.
wrestlers are superior athletes a lot stronger, faster, more agile, powerful, conditioned, and a lot tougher.
Bjj ok good for flexibility hips, but unless you cater your style to a fast agressive style ala palhares(who lets not forget has trained/trains wrestling), your gonna get smashed by wrestlers, i've seen wrestlers with a few months training smashing purple belts and upwards.
But this doesn't mean don't train bjj you need bjj otherwise you're limiting yourself and opening a window of opportunity to opponents, but wrestling should always come first from a mma perspective, wrestling and boxing, then bjj defense getting up off the bottom.

This depends on the context of the fight. If its MMA and striking is allowed, I would side with the wrestler. He has better stand-up, He most likel;y is stronger due to the strength requirement for wrestling. Hence ground and pouns would be his way to win. If its non-striking, i would side with BJJ.

Back