Difference in character between Fedor and Conor?

if I'm being honest - no science or survey there, just a general feel for the situation. And of the 15 some people interviewed in each of those videos (I laughed a few times, btw, so thanks for the link), we talk like that about each other all the time; there's nothing there beneath the surface, mate; trust me. All piss.

I was just genuinely curious to sort of understand how people in that region get on. I know it's not proper by some bloke going out with a camera and asking daft questions. Though if you watched the Finnish version where he asks for a "high five for the Swedish Ice Hockey team" you can see people flinch as if to say 'not a chance'.

One of my favourite sports people is Raikkonen, just because he simply does not give a fuck. I understand away from the media he's completely different, but he gives short straight to the point answers when he's being asked the same question a gazillion times and lets a journo know if they're asking a stupid question.

Muthafucka yo momma spelt you wrong. Salmiakkikossu is also known as Salmari and that's pretty much our national drink. Well, any kind of alcohol will do

Listen, you sauna loving, igloo dwelling, lets throw as many letter 'K' into a word as often as we can to confuse the rest of the world mo' fo' you need to chop those words down, brah.

I can't remember what the drink was, but there was one ingredient that even thinking about it made me gag. But I'm a pussy that doesn't drink so I'd probably pass out from the fumes if I lived any closer to the Guinness factory here.

Was that the Gus v Rumble one? That venue is a good sized capacity for MMA. It's ridiculous they've only built that new venue in Vegas recently.

It's much quieter, but the fuse is still not fully out. I think the majority of folk are just happy that bombings and shootings aren't the norm' anymore.
Been there two times. First was Musasi vs Latifi (after Gus got injured). Coincidentally I saw McGregors first UFC fight live, it was pretty cool! I remember the Irish crowd there was pretty rowdy haha, almost got into a confrontation with a group there. Hardcore McGregor fans from his Cagewarrior days. Second time was Gus vs Johnson yes. Venue was great, but it was a pretty anticlimactic experience. 7 AM in the morning, 33 thousand drunk and tired screaming fans, incredible entrance, Gus gets stopped. Ouch.

Good to hear that things are cooling down. I hope in time it gets better, it's pretty rough to hear what you guys have been through in recent history.

Sweden-Finland are a bit different concerning modern-day relations between Nordics; we are closer as well as more similar than either will care to admit. All Nords share a bond but Norway is the outlier of the group, if I'm being honest - no science or survey there, just a general feel for the situation. And of the 15 some people interviewed in each of those videos (I laughed a few times, btw, so thanks for the link), we talk like that about each other all the time; there's nothing there beneath the surface, mate; trust me. All piss.

Finnish culture prides itself on being bearlike tough (king of all beasts for Finns) while being people of the earth and forest, so we view Swedes as effeminate, weak, modern city-folk, f.ex. The scorn is all BS though and usually for a laugh.

Sweden has however become a sort of red flag for what not to do, as we watch our neighbours be overrun with crime, cars burning mid-street and a crashing social system; I reckon Danes are doing the same in that regard - I know Pia of DF and co. are watching at the very least, LOL.

All Nordics will gut your wallet like fish for dinner, but the wages and living standards are higher for us so the real losers are those visiting, unfortunately. I know the feeling though; spent months in Switzerland a few years back myself and if the prices there were Jon Jones, I was Machida, LOL. And talk about effeminate guys...yikes. Makes Swedes look like Norsemen again.
Haha, we view the Swedes as a bit effeminate too. It's the language and style as well. I think Danes, while not being as oldschool tough as Finns, can be a pretty rough bunch. We drink a lot, we swear a lot and the language can be a little off putting to some.

Been there two times. First was Musasi vs Latifi (after Gus got injured). Coincidentally I saw McGregors first UFC fight live, it was pretty cool! I remember the Irish crowd there was pretty rowdy haha, almost got into a confrontation with a group there. Hardcore McGregor fans from his Cagewarrior days. Second time was Gus vs Johnson yes. Venue was great, but it was a pretty anticlimactic experience. 7 AM in the morning, 33 thousand drunk and tired screaming fans, incredible entrance, Gus gets stopped. Ouch.

Good to hear that things are cooling down. I hope in time it gets better, it's pretty rough to hear what you guys have been through in recent history.

I think when Johnson stopped Gus, it was one of the few occasions the decibel levels went down to zero. Same as Smolka when he beat Holohan.

What happened with the Irish fans? I'd hazard a bet that someone bumped into someone else or spilled a drink on someone?

I think when Johnson stopped Gus, it was one of the few occasions the decibel levels went down to zero. Same as Smolka when he beat Holohan.

What happened with the Irish fans? I'd hazard a bet that someone bumped into someone else or spilled a drink on someone?
Haha yeah it went dead silent.

Some drunk douchebag kept throwing popcorn while his friends were having the time of their life you know. I wasn't even the one getting hit, it was the guy next to me, but I got pissed on his behalf. It's extremely disrespectful. Then the guy had enough and threw his empty cup back at the popcorn guy, and the group started crying about it. They acted up and a few people grabbed each other. I was backing the guy who stood his ground. Anyway, security came and threw the popcorn guy out lol. He kept begging saying he would behave, but they would have none of it :D Sucks to pay all that money only to get thrown out. I think it was the prelims too. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Right.

Well my take on the whole thing is this; I remember what he said and the context he said it in - like I said it's not like he called them 'two little shits' or said anything mean spirited about them. He was referencing dos Anjos as being a traitor to Brazil and called his kids by two generic American names. It didn't offend me in the slightest. But like I said, I think mentioning family in any way shape or form is a no go.

And again, the faux outrage people on here whine about with regards to Conor is laughable, or how they twist his words. There's a chap with a signature of Conor's list of "excuses" after the Diaz fight which is hilarious. I asked him to name a fighter and I bet I could find a list of 'excuses' they made, which he didn't bother to reply back to.

I know people who grew up where Conor is from and grew up in an area similar to his, so I sometimes get a kick at listening to fighters lambasting him for being 'disrespectful' but at least he says what he says in public, while the others will say something similar, but only when they're in the company of their team-mates and behind closed doors. Slagging is just part of the culture here. When I listen to the Americans brand it 'trash talking' again it amuses me. This whole thing with the Wrestlers getting all uppity is bizarre.

And even when Sonnen - the original master of trash talking or whatever they called him - was trying to get in a verbal sparring match with Conor over t-shirts with 'Red Panty Night' on them and couldn't get in contact with Conor to bizarrely ask if it was okay to use, shows him to be the cabbage he is, and I'm sure he got annoyed by Conor slagging the Wrestling crowd. Sonnen used catch phrases from old Wrestling promos and admitted one of his friends who judges fights (Doug Crosby) often sends him 'material' which the Sonnen fans who wet themselves when he was put on the USADA list seem to over look and accuse Conor of having scripted catch phrases of his own.

Nah, it's called being quick witted and having a sense of humour. If people didn't realise Conor didn't take himself as serious when he turned up for the press conference with dos Anjos wearing that shirt and doing the El Chapo handshake, they'll either never get it or just over look it.
Very well said. Good response.

I also grew up in a similar area and find it amusing how much hostility he gets. Slagging is 24/7 with certain friends.

I question people's intelligence if they can't see the two sides of Conor. It's not like the other side is hidden. His whole UFC career has been one big long documentary (docos, embedded, Mac Life). I don't know if people forget or they just choose to block it out. Things like fighting for Gay rights in Ireland, the sick kids in hospital, always giving time to the fans...all seem to be lost on people. Odd.

Odd comparison?.. fedor barely speaks english so i would expect his after fight comments where he lost (all in english speaking America) to be limited at best.

Compare him to Randy Couture....

I was just genuinely curious to sort of understand how people in that region get on. I know it's not proper by some bloke going out with a camera and asking daft questions. Though if you watched the Finnish version where he asks for a "high five for the Swedish Ice Hockey team" you can see people flinch as if to say 'not a chance'.

I warned you on the hockey stuff though! :D:D We don't joke about hockey here. When Finns make for top picks in NHL draft, it's headlining news.

One of my favourite sports people is Raikkonen, just because he simply does not give a fuck. I understand away from the media he's completely different, but he gives short straight to the point answers when he's being asked the same question a gazillion times and lets a journo know if they're asking a stupid question.

Räikkönen is very Finnish like that, LOL.

"Blah blah blah...get me the F out of here."

kimi.jpg

Haha yeah it went dead silent.

Some drunk douchebag kept throwing popcorn while his friends were having the time of their life you know. I wasn't even the one getting hit, it was the guy next to me, but I got pissed on his behalf. It's extremely disrespectful. Then the guy had enough and threw his empty cup back at the popcorn guy, and the group started crying about it. They acted up and a few people grabbed each other. I was backing the guy who stood his ground. Anyway, security came and threw the popcorn guy out lol. He kept begging saying he would behave, but they would have none of it :D Sucks to pay all that money only to get thrown out. I think it was the prelims too. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

There's always that annoying fucking idiot. Sounds similar to when a fight breaks out in a nightclub. The little prick starts it off, then his mates get caught up in the fight that breaks out.

Christ knows who they were or if they were mates of Conor's, but some of the folk he grew up with are shady to put it mildly. I think most of them and the people they "work" for are more in to following Boxing. Conor was at a fundraiser when a hitman went to shoot someone but his gun jammed and you might have remembered that shooting at the weigh in for a Boxing event held here. There was 7 or 8 killings after that just because some of the gang that done the shooting are members of a large crime family and most of the deceased were their relatives purely because of their surname.

There's always that annoying fucking idiot. Sounds similar to when a fight breaks out in a nightclub. The little prick starts it off, then his mates get caught up in the fight that breaks out.

Christ knows who they were or if they were mates of Conor's, but some of the folk he grew up with are shady to put it mildly. I think most of them and the people they "work" for are more in to following Boxing. Conor was at a fundraiser when a hitman went to shoot someone but his gun jammed and you might have remembered that shooting at the weigh in for a Boxing event held here. There was 7 or 8 killings after that just because some of the gang that done the shooting are members of a large crime family and most of the deceased were their relatives purely because of their surname.
Yeah I remember the story. Saw a video of people freaking out and running out of the building. It's unfortunate that people go that far. I am not against putting up the fisticuffs when needed, but killing someone? That's fucked up.

These guys were just fans. Dressed up in Irish colors, with the Irish flag and one of them had a mohawk haha (Conor had a mohawk too back then if I recall correctly).

Very well said. Good response.

I also grew up in a similar area and find it amusing how much hostility he gets. Slagging is 24/7 with certain friends.

I question people's intelligence if they can't see the two sides of Conor. It's not like the other side is hidden. His whole UFC career has been one big long documentary (docos, embedded, Mac Life). I don't know if people forget or they just choose to block it out. Things like fighting for Gay rights in Ireland, the sick kids in hospital, always giving time to the fans...all seem to be lost on people. Odd.

The thing I find funny is when they sing the praises of the fuckers who bow - not only out of respect - but bow to stick a needle in their arse cheek and start commenting on whether PEDs should be legal or not.......sigh.

RE: the gay rights support. He probably offended the rednecks on here who are Bible bashers with the 'Gods recognise Gods' comment and they're not exactly liberal in their thinking in what two men or two women get up to in their spare time

I can see how Conor could be annoying to some, but a lot of folk are probably Aldo fans or were rooting for him and simply got annoyed he got beaten. Most of them are dopes who brag about watching MMA when Tank Abbott was around and label themselves as HARDCORE FANS. Amadáns.

I warned you on the hockey stuff though! :D:D We don't joke about hockey here. When Finns make for top picks in NHL draft, it's headlining news.

I think the interviewer knew how to touch a nerve. I'd imagine if he went to Ireland and said 'high five for the England Soccer team' he might have got the same response. Also, I think if you stick a camera in someone's face and the interviewer is a bona fide piss taker, they'll be a bit looser with their thoughts

I cracked up when he was asked live on British telly at the Brazilian Grand Prix if he had seen Pele on the grid and replied that he was 'having a shit' Hero.

Yeah I remember the story. Saw a video of people freaking out and running out of the building. It's unfortunate that people go that far. I am not against putting up the fisticuffs when needed, but killing someone? That's fucked up.

These guys were just fans. Dressed up in Irish colors, with the Irish flag and one of them had a mohawk haha (Conor had a mohawk too back then if I recall correctly).

They just don't give a fuck. They knew kids were at that event and still fired shots into the crowd. The crime in Denmark usually involves the Hell's Angels, no?

That's right, he had the mohawk for his fight. You obviously weren't beered up at that stage to remember that. {<jordan}

This time,i think fedor will sign with ufc.Then we'll see...

They just don't give a fuck. They knew kids were at that event and still fired shots into the crowd. The crime in Denmark usually involves the Hell's Angels, no?

That's right, he had the mohawk for his fight. You obviously weren't beered up at that stage to remember that. {<jordan}
Serously the world could use less people like that. That is why I love MMA. You can be violent, but you sort if out 1on1 and you do it clean. Disputes gets settled and no one gets killed. It's the ego, and then it's just revenge, revenge, revenge. Keeps going on and on with innocents getting caught in the crossfire.

Yep, most organised crime is HA (Hells Angels) or other biker gangs here. They are usually pretty reasonable, as long as you are not affiliated or don't try to mess with them. We also have some ethnic gangs who are pretty hardcore. They are a little bit more unpredictable. There has been a few gang wars over the years, but the last few has been peaceful (knock on wood).

Haha, who can forget that mohawk! I had a decent amount of beers, don't worry about that. I think Danes and the Irish share a common love for beer.

Haha, we view the Swedes as a bit effeminate too. It's the language and style as well. I think Danes, while not being as oldschool tough as Finns, can be a pretty rough bunch. We drink a lot, we swear a lot and the language can be a little off putting to some.
Swedes are a little effeminate to be honest, haha, but Finns and Danes are square; the only preconceived notions of Danes from the Far North are that you guys are a bit boring (in the sense of conformity), but Danes have a formidable reputation here (economy; product quality; not-pushovers) while Danish films have been top for years in my household. Small land, big output. :D

Yep, most organised crime is HA (Hells Angels) or other biker gangs here. They are usually pretty reasonable, as long as you are not affiliated or don't try to mess with them. We also have some ethnic gangs who are pretty hardcore. They are a little bit more unpredictable. There has been a few gang wars over the years, but the last few has been peaceful (knock on wood).

Rockerkrigen was no joke, indeed; we had bars bombed in Helsinki and it was all for retribution from something in Helsingborg (Sweden), Copenhagen or Oslo. I was a teenager then but if you stayed clear of those people and places, like you say, it was safe. From what I've read, the struggles in Ireland seemed to bleed more over into civilian life, which is very sad stuff - some mum or child, just gone. The biker violence in Nordics stayed within their respective circles, so to speak.

Back