Difference between play by play and color commentator?

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
I've heard only Anik and Goldie do the play by play, right? But I'm sure it's Joe Rogan (& Florian) calling the action, in what's happening in the fight etc. while Anik and Goldie call the advertisements and drops a fact in there occasionally. I'm sure it's mixed up and Rogan is actually the play by play guy.

Usually it's Goldie calling the play by play and Rogan analyzing the action. Going in depth as to what the fighters are doing, technique wise and etc. Goldie draws the picture while Rogan adds the color.

Rogan is doing everything tonight

Anik is lost in translation

Rogan always does everything. Anik is quiet and Goldberg only advertises. They need to hire Mike Schiavello.

Usually it's Goldie calling the play by play and Rogan analyzing the action. Going in depth as to what the fighters are doing, technique wise and etc. Goldie draws the picture while Rogan adds the color.

I don't ever see that though, it's always Rogan calling the play by play with Goldie. Goldie adds in quick remarks like there's a beatiful leg kick then asks Joe normally what a fighter has to do in that situation. He calls the advertisments and starts things up while Joe does the real play by play.

Rogan always does everything. Anik is quiet and Goldberg only advertises. They need to hire Mike Schiavello.

So Rogan is the play by play guy then.

Watch some football and you will understand the difference. The play by play usually calls the action and the color commentary is usually a former coach or player that can give insight on the play that just happened. MMA is different because there is no break in action after every play but you get the basic idea. Rogan is too high strung to let other people call the action without stepping all over them to be honest though so it seems like Goldie winds up being more of a pitchman and starts the fight with "Here we go!" and ends it with "It is all over!".

No, Rogan is the color commentator.

First reply nailed it for me but it's the same in all sports really.
In football (soccer) you usually have an experienced commentator alongside an ex player and it basically works the same apart from football offers the play by play guy a lot more to commentate on, they constantly tell you which player is passing/recieving the ball, talk about referee decisions, managers etc but its harder to find things in mma as refs are less involved and theres only two guys competing etc

Back