Difference between micronized creatine and non-micronized creatine

carlsonbjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the differences? i tried a non micronized mono gnc powder and I got diahrea and insomnia. The other creatines that I have tried, such as torrent and anabolic OD, have not given me the same problem

Micronized is finer, so your body finds it easier to absorb.

You need to take in carbs with all types of creatine to provoke an insulin response and shuttle it out of your digestive tract - with non-micronized stuff you probably need more carbs than usual.

You need to take in carbs with all types of creatine to provoke an insulin response and shuttle it out of your digestive tract - with non-micronized stuff you probably need more carbs than usual.
Carbs are only necessary if you are still saturating your muscles with creatine. If you have been supplementing for a long time, there is no need to.

I don't think your body will have difficult absorbing it one way or the other; it may take a bit longer, but it will digest them both, completely.

The real difference is that micronized creatines mix better. They don't clump as much. It's been a long time since I've seen a non-microtized anywhere. Microtization is an industry standard at this point.

smaller particles ---> more surface area ---> more soluble. i don't know exactly what the solubility of a garden variety old school creatine monohydrate powder is in the various solutions in your GI tract, but in normal tap water it isn't very high, and you're not getting absorption to any high degree if it's not in solution- plus you basically have sand running along your GI tract. hijinks ensue.

smaller particles ---> more surface area ---> more soluble. i don't know exactly what the solubility of a garden variety old school creatine monohydrate powder is in the various solutions in your GI tract, but in normal tap water it isn't very high, and you're not getting absorption to any high degree if it's not in solution- plus you basically have sand running along your GI tract. hijinks ensue.
It's an interesting point you raise, JSN. But as you pointed out, solubility in an inert glass and solubility in the GI tract are two completely different things. I vaguely remember reading some literature speculating on the two, but I don't remember ever seeing anything concrete...just the typical hack science spouted by the companies trying to pitch a more expensive product.

Maybe some of the young blood here can try to dig some stuff up for us.

ha if you want i could try to find some of the shitty stuff and oversaturate some water with it, then add HCl to about 2 molar (stomach concentration) and see if it changes. i think it should get converted to creatinine though under those conditions, so you have to think increased solubility is always good (most driving force for intercellular transport), and larger surface area is going to increase solubility.

ha if you want i could try to find some of the shitty stuff and oversaturate some water with it, then add HCl to about 2 molar (stomach concentration) and see if it changes. i think it should get converted to creatinine though under those conditions, so you have to think increased solubility is always good (most driving force for intercellular transport), and larger surface area is going to increase solubility.
All solid points: more reason to recommend the micronized. Seriously, though, TS, where in the hell did you find non-micronized creatine monohydrate?

Back