1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

difference between judo gi and jiu-jitsu gi?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by chokingvictim, Jan 20, 2006.

1. What (if any) difference is there between a judo gi and a jiu-jitsu gi?

2. SSF

SSF SSFgear.com

3. Thanks for the quick reply. I never thought there was much difference, but recently getting back into grappling (my old jkd instructor got me a $35 Pro Force gi back in the day) people in teh BJJ class kept asking if I used to do judo. I didn't realize there was much difference in the gi's.

Anyone have any links where I could learn more? I'm guessing even though my cheap Pro Force gi held up for 1.5 yrs, it won't last much longer now that I'm focusing solely on the BJJ. So I need to start shopping for an affordable new gi. Feel free to recommend one, and I'll also be searching through this forum at the same time but feel free to save me time and post what's good or bad. Thanks in advance.

4. SSF

SSF SSFgear.com

5. Terrier

Terrier Brown Belt

As SSF said judo Gi (tops) are bigger with wider sleaves (great for ezekiel chokes), I also tend to find their lapels a bit softer.

Judo Gis have a cotton skirts on the bottom of the Gi which is usually a thinner material, In BJJ these can be easily torn and also provide more to grab onto.

Another major difference is the weaves. While the best Judo Gis are usually Double weave (extra thick weave which lasts ages but is very hot and heavy) the better BJJ kimonos tend to be a gold weave which is billed as being as strong as a double weave and as light as a single - in practice they actually tend to fall somewhere in between the two. I should also point out that you can get both single and double weave Gis for BJJ (and wouldn't be surprised if there's a gold weave Judo Gi out there somewhere) but for the most part that's the different styles.

It's also far more unusual to have a lot of patches on a Judo Gi, however in BJJ it is often considered stylish (depending on who you talk to)

Hope that helps

6. ^^ So if I plan on getting an affordable gi that I want to last me a really long time, the best way to do that would be to get an unbleached gi with no patches... and as far as the weave, does the cost of the more expensive/higher quality weave usually make it worth the extra price? Or is it better for a beginner to just stick with a cheaper gi that may last almost the same timespan as a more expensive weave?
    Thanks for the replies by the way. I appreciate the help, and I see my skirt on my gi ripping soon so I want to start shopping right now for a bjj gi.

7. Terrier

Terrier Brown Belt

It really varys from company to company, although to be honest I hear that the HCK single is an awsome beginners Gi and is a good price.

I'd actually like a blue as my Krugans is on its way out one but ain't got the money for new gear these days (the realitys of becoming a home owner).

Some singles are better than others - same for golds and doubles, as I say it varys depending on the brand.

As for patches you can get those anywhere and make your Gi as custom or as plain as you like.

8. Terrier

Terrier Brown Belt

I forgot to say - yes you're right usually gold costs more than double which costs more than single. However this sin't always the case - the Koral kimonos for example are some of the most expensive and they are Single weaves, one modle weighing in at a whopping $300.

9. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

The Ouano's I just ordered from SSF are gold weave and they're $80 for white and $90 for blue. Haven't gotten them quite yet, but they look nice, especially for the price.

10. SSF

SSF SSFgear.com

Fat is right, the Ouano makes a great gi at a really low price (for a gold weave). I've been using a black Ounao for the past two months and I love it. HCK makes 2 models of single weaves, the standard with is $50 for natural and $70 for white. The Comp (which is one of my all time favorite gis) it starts at $90 for a white. Kikskin makes a really nice gi for around $100.

I hear that Warrior's gi is nice and there is going to be a review soon. Atama makes a decent gi for under $90. Mizuno makes a BJJ gi that starts at under $100 but it has a cotton skirt so I would go with a HCK. Gameness makes a single and it to has a cotton skirt.

www.SSFgear.com

11. jamison

jamison Brown Belt

The model thats $300 is the Vandelei Silva special edition. It's limited to only 100 I believe and is loaded with patches. That Gi rocks. And Koral is one of the best gi's you can buy.

I did a review on a warrior-one gi and think that would be a great gi for anyone interested in both judo and BJJ.

12. Terrier

Terrier Brown Belt

Oh I know it's the Wand Gi, but the patches (even though there are a LOT of them) don't justify the $300 price tag.

Also for another cheap Gi check underhook.com - they have a gold weave for $85 I beleive.

13. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

Wow, there are too many good gi options out there.

14. warrior-one.com

warrior-one.com Orange Belt

You can't go wrong with all of the gi's mentioned here. I've heard great things about the HCK gi, especially for the price. I really like my Black Koral. It is light, durable, and pre-shrunk. And I really like our Warrior-One brand gi's as far as the design, fit, quality, and durability.

Keven
    www.warrior-one.com