Difference between flaxseed and flaxseed MEAL???

BrittyHMS

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was looking at a low-carb recipe for oatmeal online, and it said to use flaxseed meal. I have just plain old flaxseed at my house, so can I use that? It is almost the same? What makes me worried is that it calls for 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal, so I don't want to be crapping my brains out from all the fiber in flaxseed. hahaahahaha

I wouldnt recomend replacing a meal with an oil.

I imagine the meal in this case would be used to thicken, and a flaxseed oil well...it wouldnt thicken anything.

And your right, 1/4 cup of flax oil will more then likely have you spending your day sitting on the john.

Then again that could be another 2lbs your looking to get rid of ;) hahah j/k

The difference is that flaxseed meal is milled or ground for you, rather then having just flaxseed which is the seed as a whole. flaxseed meal is supposed to be better because the whole seed sometimes just passes through your system without you absorbing any benefits from it. Since the flaxseed meal is already ground you will benefit more.

It would probably be better to purchase the wholeseed and grind it yourself.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
The difference is that flaxseed meal is milled or ground for you, rather then having just flaxseed which is the seed as a whole. flaxseed meal is supposed to be better because the whole seed sometimes just passes through your system without you absorbing any benefits from it. Since the flaxseed meal is already ground you will benefit more.

It would probably be better to purchase the wholeseed and grind it yourself.

Wolverine
///

Okay, that's what I did. We had the flaxseed at my house for some crazy recipe or something, and then never really used it, but it *is* the whole seeds and then I have something (that looks similar to a pepper grinder) that I used to crush them. They're almost powdery though... Was that too much?

"I wouldnt recomend replacing a meal with an oil.

I imagine the meal in this case would be used to thicken, and a flaxseed oil well...it wouldnt thicken anything.

And your right, 1/4 cup of flax oil will more then likely have you spending your day sitting on the john.

Then again that could be another 2lbs your looking to get rid of ;) hahah j/k"

Flaxseed is oil? This one looks like flour (maybe a little bigger grains), and not oily at all. :icon_conf

I made the recipe with only 2 1/2 teaspoons of the flaxseed (even less than the serving size of two TABLESPOONS on the packaging), and I feel okay... For now at least! Hopefully that wasn't enough to affect my internal digestive track. :eek: hahahaha And you're right about the 2 pounds!!! If it *does* affect me, that'll be the positive side I guess. lol

Don't substitute with oil.
Grind it yourself.
The oil has all the benifits right up to the point of it being an insoluble fiber, which is what you want to keep all that protein you're probably drinking from clogging up you shitter.
You just gotta keep swirling the cup around to keep it from settling.

Back