difference between bulgarian split squats and lunges?

C

christiancore

i just youtubed a few videos of split squats, bulgarian SS, and i dont know if these people were doing them wrong, but the looked exactly like what i do for my lunges, except i do them across the floor 10 yards, then come back.

what am i missing?

what's the difference?

what's better?

side note - i did standing calf raises in the smith machine as opposed to my usual sitting calf machine workout. big difference, my calves have never been sore before, thanks guys!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_Q8FKO7Ueg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_Q8FKO7Ueg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Forward lunges hit the glutes more, split squats is more quad.

I use both. I can load lunges much heavier because there is less of a balance problem, bulg ss give a nice deep stretch in the hip flexor of the supporting leg which I feel helps recovery if performed after heavy deads or squats.

First, Bulgarian split squats put the rear leg at an extreme angle thereby taking the rear quad and glutes largely out of the movement.

Second, with the back leg elevated you are able to achieve a deeper lunge.

Lastly, as Donut62 pointed out it gives the hip flexors a nice stretch. Since the hip flexors are tight in many trainees it's just an added benefit.

I like doing the split squats as lunges frustrated me with having to reset every rep.

Same, which I always do them walking style. I believe it puts more emphasis on the hamstrings this way.

how do you guys make time for these if you have BS/FS/OHS on a weekly rotation?

I think they're valuable but they're just so low on my priorities with all the big lifts that I don't make time for them.

I think they're valuable but they're just so low on my priorities with all the big lifts that I don't make time for them.

I have them fit in as per WSSB, but this means I don't do BS and FS in the same cycle. OHS are really more of a core/shoulder/upper back exercise for me anyways. It's just a little bit of a trade off by adding a unilateral exercise and dropping a bilateral one.

Unilateral work goes well with goodmornings or other core work as unilateral work is not stressful on your core.

Right now I'm running a 4 day schedule. (Not in a week)
back squat
front squat
DL
split squat / goodmornings

Could probably be organized better. *shrug*

Next program will incorporate lunges in it instead of split squat. Whats really going to suck is that my next program is probably going to be GVT too. I should just have someone flog me instead.

A way to avoid resetting on the lunges each time is to do static lunges. Assume a split stance and stay in that stance until all reps are complete, then switch legs.

Bulgarian split squats are a bitch at first because they are awkward and my balance sucked when I first started doing them.

Also try reverse lunges.

Doing any of these exercises off a step will increase the range of motion.

I don't think anyone here recommended the smith machine.

I don't think it makes a big difference for calf raises...It was probably standing vs. seated.

I use them both on WS4SB. I do split squats on my Lower Body DE day and walking lunges on my Lower Body ME day.

-1 squat variation

+1 Unilateral lift

I think they were work best at slightly higher rep ranges (at least 6) since you can't use as much weight and load your CNS. This is part of why Joe recommends them in WSSB. They both improve athleticism as well as being an excuse for higher rep and there for more hyper trophic workouts.

Team Dragonfire said:
I use them both on WS4SB. I do split squats on my Lower Body DE day and walking lunges on my Lower Body ME day.

This is almost exactly what I do as well except I prefer elevated SS. I think they compliment the stretch you get during jump training.

Back