Dieting Help for New Guy?

RealestWhiteBoy**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm planning on training BJJ soon, background in high school wrestling.

I don't know much about dieting. Here is my workout:

- Bench press 100 pounds in set of 15

Put on 20 pound weight vest:
- Super-set 30 sit-up punches with 15 curls each arm (25 pounds on each arm)
- Super-set 50 jumping jacks with 1.5 minutes of resistance tubing (punching motion)
- Super-set 50 jumping jacks with 1.5 minutes of resistance tubing (curling motion)

I'm 6'0" and 144 pounds. I don't want to go below 130 pounds or over 155 pounds. My favorite food is a huge peanut butter sandwich on natural whole wheat, I eat it daily. Other than that, I don't follow much diet. I drink 80-100 ounces of water a day. And take a Men's Health One-A-Day vitamin. Any pointers on a decent diet to follow?

faq's

check out the conditioning form and SnP for a better workout program

What a bizarre workout. You're skinny as a rail kid. Welcome to D&S. Do your homework and you'll go far...and you might even reconsider getting above 155 lbs, seeing as any doctor would classify you as dangerously underweight.

What a bizarre workout. You're skinny as a rail kid. Welcome to D&S. Do your homework and you'll go far...and you might even reconsider getting above 155 lbs, seeing as any doctor would classify you as dangerously underweight.

Naw, it's my natural weight. Doesn't look dangerous or oddity on me ... 12% body fat, doctor said she'd like to see me closer to 160-175, though. But I can't get use to the idea of gaining that much weight all at once. haha

Thanks for the tips. :) About to do some homework right now.

Not dangerously underweight by a long shot, just skinny. Some people are just naturally skinny, like me and my family. My entire family is skinny and I am too, that's just the way it is.

Having said that, if you're 6' tall TS, I would suggest getting to around 160ish if you're doing BJJ.

If you want endurance and to maintain weight, lift medium 20 ish reps.

If you want to bulk lift heavy 3-8ish reps and eat like a cow.

Not dangerously underweight by a long shot, just skinny. Some people are just naturally skinny, like me and my family. My entire family is skinny and I am too, that's just the way it is.

Having said that, if you're 6' tall TS, I would suggest getting to around 160ish if you're doing BJJ.

If you want endurance and to maintain weight, lift medium 20 ish reps.

If you want to bulk lift heavy 3-8ish reps and eat like a cow.

Yea, I've never been big. In 8th grade, I was 72 pounds. I had to fight catch weight in pre-lims for wrestling matches. Couldn't go in tournaments or fight in the real matches, because nobody else was as small as me. haha Sucked.

Then, in 9th grade I was 90. Then, 10th I quit smoking and ballooned to 120, where I sat til last year. I suddenly gained to 142, and stopped again.

In 11th grade I even tried eating 2 chicken sandwiches and 2 apple pies a day from McDonald's. But my senior year the physical doctor took me off that dumb idea. haha

Damn, it's the Massive Eating article for you too. You can be eating like 3000 - 5000 calories a day with good, hard resistance work to put on some solid poundage. If you do your HW, you'll see how the calories should break down with solid eating habits.

Then, in 9th grade I was 90. Then, 10th I quit smoking and ballooned to 120, where I sat til last year. I suddenly gained to 142, and stopped again.

I don't think I've seen that word in the context of weighing 120 pounds...

@TS

I have about the same height/weight ratio as you, and if you want to gain weight you need to eat around 3500+ calories per day. I work a manual labor job during the week so that number jumps to 4000+ for me to gain weight, so it could be different for you.

I transmit money for big businesses. haha Anywhere from 50-150 million from one account to another. The most manual thing I do is taping a box of checks up before someone else loads it into a van to take to recycle. :p

to gain weight you should increase your caloric intake and possibly add some whey protein powder for muscle mass. The only downside to the whey protein is that "it makes your farts smell like 10 dead Iranians," as comedian and friend of joe rogan, joey Diaz would say

ts @6 feet 145 lbs you should try your hand at boxing

If you want to gain you're workout program is shit, even for ju jitsu. try to incorperate ATG squats (heavy&light), Conventional Deadlift, and Benchpress at the bear minimum. most of the time you can change your benchpress for some other press movement. Make sure with Deadlift to lift heave for 1-5 reps. take a look at the bill starrs 5x5 program

for a couple weeks eat say 4500 calories a day

Pretty much eat like eggs, oatmeal, bran, fruit, whey protien for breakfast along with eather milk or water (milk for massing)

Maybe nuts and/or fruit for a snack, maybe a salad with no or vinigar based dressings.

Lean meats or something like a sandwich for lunch?

maybe mixed veggies for a snack?

Dinner you could have more lean meat & veggies & carbs (if after workout)

Last snack maybe a casien blend protien shake?

If you want to gain you're workout program is shit, even for ju jitsu. try to incorperate ATG squats (heavy&light), Conventional Deadlift, and Benchpress at the bear minimum. most of the time you can change your benchpress for some other press movement. Make sure with Deadlift to lift heave for 1-5 reps. take a look at the bill starrs 5x5 program

for a couple weeks eat say 4500 calories a day

Pretty much eat like eggs, oatmeal, bran, fruit, whey protien for breakfast along with eather milk or water (milk for massing)

Maybe nuts and/or fruit for a snack, maybe a salad with no or vinigar based dressings.

Lean meats or something like a sandwich for lunch?

maybe mixed veggies for a snack?

Dinner you could have more lean meat & veggies & carbs (if after workout)

Last snack maybe a casien blend protien shake?

4500 calories per day is overkill. Believe me I'm almost the same height/weight as him, he needs 3300-3500ish per day given his job. (That's on a lifting day too, slightly less for a non lifting day).

Oh one more thing, peanut butter sandwhiches are your friend.

to gain weight you should increase your caloric intake and possibly add some whey protein powder for muscle mass. The only downside to the whey protein is that "it makes your farts smell like 10 dead Iranians," as comedian and friend of joe rogan, joey Diaz would say

I drink a scoop of Whey protien powder with a glass of skim milk after workouts.

ts @6 feet 145 lbs you should try your hand at boxing

haha Maybe I should ... gotta nice reach, plus I'm a natural lefty and south-paw.

4500 calories per day is overkill. Believe me I'm almost the same height/weight as him, he needs 3300-3500ish per day given his job. (That's on a lifting day too, slightly less for a non lifting day).

Oh one more thing, peanut butter sandwhiches are your friend.

Good, cause it's my favorite food! :) haha The huge jars, I buy them 2 by 2 and the 2 jars last me 3 days, 4 if I'm lucky. :p

For hells sake. PB sandwiches should not be a staple. Eat true caloric dense food with food that will have more benefit.

Back