Dieting for a woman

hotborsh

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a question regarding dieting for women. I read pathogenic's thread about dieting and weight loss/gain multiple times and it's great, opened my eyes on a few things, but what about women? Should a woman follow the same principles as a man for weight management? A read a year ago that carbs affect women differently and that they shouldn't eat it, but there was no science behind that claim. My gf wants to lose some weight, i searched about this on the internet, but all i found was either shitty bodybuilding articles about 7 meals a day or logs where woman eats nothing but veggies all day long.

Am I somehow wrong in assuming that aside from extra iron, a woman should eat just like a man of similar ambition?

Nutrition for women is essentially the exact same as for a man. Just follow the principles Path talked about in his diet thread.

The only things to consider would be menstruation cycles, pregnancy, and menopause.

Plz try paleo diet for weight loss as it is quick acting

Thanks for the support, SD (and TS, for taking the time to read it).

TS, try to follow the lower end of the calorie recommendations in the thread (for example, if it says your estimated maintenance is 14-15 cals/lb, try to stay closer to 14). Keep experimenting with the calories/lb, though, as no estimators are perfect for everyone.

Otherwise, eat like a man, so to speak.

Also, keep in mind that your cycle will make your weight loss extremely nonlinear. My girlfriend, for example, will gain or lose up to 5-6 lbs at any given point in her cycle. Try to keep track of your weight frequently, and take note of the patterns at various points in your cycle so you can better predict when you typically gain and lose weight. Myfitnesspal will track this for you, and it can be extremely useful if you are trying to examine an overall downward trend in your weight throughout the course of several cycles.

Sorry to go into the cycle stuff, but it's a huge psychological hurdle for a lot of women that nobody ever talks about. Most diet guides for women start and end with "eat celery, tofu, and whole grains for a healthy, skinny, zen life." I'm not into that kind of thing.

It isn't the first time that my gf tries to lose weight. I know she really wants it, but i feel like it is more of a psychological problem for her. I tried to talk to her once that maybe she should lose some kg's, because i noticed that she was starting to add kg's, but she psyched and started telling things like "you should find a skinny girl for yourself then!" and a rarely see her act that bitchy. I mean i really love her, i love her body , i love a woman with a thick and curvy ass but there are limits to everything. I'm just scared that in the future she will get fat and will think that it's ok, those are "genes". I feel like she's afraid of that as well, but is afraid of losing weight. Maybe she lack will power or doesn't feel herself comfortable that i'm trying to point it to her. But i just really want to help and support her.

Yeah, that's not a matter of dietary approach, it's a matter of psychological issues.

One thing you can do is try to offer her the most reliable info you can find and present it to her in the most concice/easy-to-understand way you can, so she can make fully informed decisions about her dietary choices from now on.

Yeah, i thought about that. I'm always saying to her that i will help understand the basics and will support her. I guess she just needs to understand the need for that on her own, so i'm not pushing on her.

Back