1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Diet/Supplement Log: Critique if you want...

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Freestyler, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Freestyler Purple Belt

Tues. 9/27

B-Fast(6:45): 3 Nitrix, 2 Omega Fish Oils, Whey Shake

Lunch(11:00): 2 Chicken sandwich, 2 milks, apple

1:30 3 Nitrix

3:00 Work

7:55 3 Nitrix

Dinner(9:00): Chicken Selects from Wendys, apple

9:30 100% Whey Shake

2. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Freestyler, you're wasting a lot of money on that Nitrix. Take it before you work out. Any other time and you just dilated your blood vessels for absolutely no reason.

3. Freestyler Purple Belt

Im just going by directions...under 200lbs, 3 times a day 3 tablets workout or no...

4. Freestyler Purple Belt

Wed. 9/28

B-Fast(6:45): 5 Scrambled Eggs, 3 Nitrix, 2 Omega Fish Oils, Whey Shake

Lunch(11:00): 1 Chicken sandwich, 2 milks, apple

3:00 Hockey

5:30 3 Nitrix

Dinner(6:30): Chicken Breast and Rice

8:00 Lift

9:30 100% Whey Shake

5. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, every supplement out there tells you to take 1-2 servings 3x a day. That doesn't mean it's right.

I only saw 1 study that boasted benefits for NO stimulators at 10g, but that was with OKG, not AKG or AAKG. Also, I can't remember if they gave that dosage throughout the day or in a single lump. Most studies involving AKG/OKG supplement in single doses.

Do you understand the principle behind NO? I'm not trying to be insulting, but it doesn't sound like you have a crystal clear understanding of its effects. I think if you did you wouldn't allow yourself to depend on the directions from your salesman (just think about that).

6. Freestyler Purple Belt

I complete understand what you are saying. But me not being a nutritionalists or lets just say an average person with some knowledge on this shit only has directions to go by. Its working so i dont see any problems as we speak. I just looked up NO2 Effects on Google and read 2-3 of them. None seem to discuss anything dangering about the product...This site/forum is for advice/gain knowledge. So if you're telling me i dont know something that i should, then tell me...lol

7. zdrax White Belt

NO2 is worthless. Ditch it ASAP and buy better food. Your diet is crap, and frankly, you need to do a lot more research before you start buying supplements. Supplements are the "3%" solution. Proper nutrient timing, recovery (i.e. sleep), and food selection will take you 97% of the way. Supplements do nothing unless everything is dialed in perfectly. Try to drink as much water as humanly possibly - it's perhaps the best supplement/anabolic substance you can "take." Here's an average day for me.

8:30 AM: 1 cup egg whites, 1 large Omega-3 egg, 1/2 cup dry yield rolled oats, coffee, 3 fish oil capsules

11:00 AM: 1oz mixed nuts, 2tbsp olive oil, 4tbsp apple cider vinegar, 3 cups spinach, 2 cups mixed greens, 8oz 97% lean steak, spices, onions, tomatoes, peppers, 3 fish oil capsules

1:30 PM: 2 scoops Whey/Casein protein blend, 1oz mixed nuts, 3 fish oil capsules

3:30 PM: Pre-workout coffee

3:30 - 5:30 PM: Workout (65min free weight training, 20-30min bagwork/HIIT)

6:00 PM: Whole wheat bagel w/ 100% real fruit jam, 1 scoop whey protein

7:00 PM: 1.5 cups Post Raisin Bran w/ skim milk

9:00 PM: 1 apple, 2tbsp PB, 6oz 97% lean steak

11:00 PM: 2 scoops Whey/Casein protein blend

12:00 AM: sleep

8. zdrax White Belt

I dunno what your school is like, BTW, but what I do is take my own meat and dressing (olive oil/apple cider vinegar blend) and just grab the salad from the salad bar or from one of the deli cases where they are pre-made.

9. Freestyler Purple Belt

zdrax...your diet is crazy and hope to work to it. Iam in no means sayin my diet is sweet. This is more of a log for me and for what you guys should reccomend, the small things to change till i change it over time. Like i beleive someone said eat a fruit at lunch instead of fries, iam now. Iam gettin better one by one. As for supplements, our shakes sound about right(whey) cept im on NO2. This is my problem with you guys bitching about NO2, where were you when i made a thread about it? I had one person out like 20 say he didnt get anything out of it but didnt even say not to do it. Now you and madmick come on talking about NO2 is wrong/you're doing it wrong. Its too late now. I'll finish out the cycle and state my opinion. Also, i hate salad. Im going to start getting the hamburgers(soy) since they are probably the most healthy, next to salads. Thanks man.

10. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

No, it's not a dangerous amount. 30g wasn't a dangerous amount, it's just people aren't able to ingest that without becoming nauseous. It's one thing to inject (proportionally) a 30g dose of OKG into rats, it's quite another to give that dosage of AAKG to a human orally.

NO boosters are just hemodilators, meaning they dilate your vessel walls and allow more blood to be pumped to the muscles; this is why guys get the "pump" (if it's indeed not a placebo): the muscles retain more blood. So I don't understand taking 9g a day (what you're getting) unless the higher dosage is required in order for the body to respond to the effects when you need it to- preworkout. Dilating your vessel walls at any other time of the day is really pointless; even though rest is the time your body grows, it doesn't require that increase in blood flow to achieve a maximum growth rate (your tissue can only process so much energy).

I'd take a single or even double dose before working out, and at no other time. So you'll get 3-6 caps a day instead of 9. If you see a decrease in effects, just go back up. But in principle, this shouldn't happen (since the 9g dosage is still far short of 30g, where clinical effects were observed). Save yourself some money.

11. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

This isn't true. The evidence against it is preliminary; neither side is overwhelming the other.

12. Freestyler Purple Belt

I understand where you're coming from now, i was confused on ur initial post to me. I was also actually thinking this b/c NO-Xplode, requires it pre-workout so why wouldnt nitrix? I agree with you and def. will start this. Im thinkin double dose before lifting. What about my off days? Single dose before bag work? Thanks madmick

13. zdrax White Belt

Stay away from soy products. Anything over 15g (ie 1 soyburger) is highly estrogenic. It suppresses testosterone production and limits the potential anabolic response of your body.

My best advice - be like a nutritional boyscout, always be prepared. If you only stock your home with healthy foods, you will only eat healthy foods. If you always have healthy food with you, you will only eat healthy food. You'll also have to learn to cook and clean. If you want to make serious progress, you have to make a real commitment to live completely unlike the average person.

In all seriousness, if you want muscle, wannabe anabolic supplements are not the way to go. If you do have a supp fund, here's what I'd look into:

1. ZMA supplement. Sleep is so unbelievably important. You won't recognize its importance until you get a consistent sleeping schedule, and your lifts, strength, and muscularity skyrocket.

2. CNS stimulant. I've used Spike by Biotest with great results, as well as Power Drive for PWO recovery.

3. Fish Oil. At 180/120 EPA/DHA, I take 10 caps a day. You've got this down. I also "supplement" with cold pressed, uncooked, extra-virgin olive oil.

4. Green Tea. Aids in carbohydrate metabolism. I drink around 4 cups a day.

5. Coffee. Great pre-workout stimulis. No sugar and less than 1oz of skim milk, you don't want the insulin response suppressing the caffeine.

6. Whey/Casein protein blend. There's a bunch of companies that sell this out there, you may have to hunt around. Once again, I like Biotest for their products and their fantastic money-back guarentee.

7. Plain Powdered Creatine. The fancier it sounds, the more worthless it is. Have this with your PWO meal/shake, whether you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. Remember, keep your water intake HIGH.

8. Water. Water. Water. Water. Keep a Nalgene bottle always full. Never let it get empty, and take it everywhere.

Good luck to you!