DIet Soda

WTF i have been drinking this stuff at anytime i wanted and now im reading its bad for me? bump.

On a side note, the acids in diet or regular soda is bad for your teeth regardless of the calories/sugar.

Is the argument of artificial sweeteners being bad based on the same idea on why substitute fat is worse than real fat? Like after consuming substitute fats, your brain is thinking it will receive a large amount of calories, but when it doesn't, it then goes into starvation mode (converting calories to fat).

On a side note, the acids in diet or regular soda is bad for your teeth regardless of the calories/sugar.Is the argument of artificial sweeteners being bad based on the same idea on why substitute fat is worse than real fat? Like after consuming substitute fats, your brain is thinking it will receive a large amount of calories, but when it doesn't, it then goes into starvation mode (converting calories to fat).

Yes, that seems to be universally agreed upon. Also, I believe MikeMartial posted a study in one of the many aspartame/artificial sugar threads the dangers of phosphoric acid aside from rotting your teeth.

WTF i have been drinking this stuff at anytime i wanted and now im reading its bad for me? bump.

Have you read some of the English in this thread? Or even your own? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? And, finally, did you really need to bump this thread?

I hate to be a dick, but seriously....

Yes, that seems to be universally agreed upon. Also, I believe MikeMartial posted a study in one of the many aspartame/artificial sugar threads the dangers of phosphoric acid aside from rotting your teeth.

Just how immediate are the effects of phosphoric acid on your teeth? How "dangerous" is it truly to your oral health? I only ask because I feel like this sort of "fact" about diet soda/artificial sweetener seems to be a little sensationalized.

Just how immediate are the effects of phosphoric acid on your teeth? How "dangerous" is it truly to your oral health? I only ask because I feel like this sort of "fact" about diet soda/artificial sweetener seems to be a little sensationalized.

It goes a lot further than oral health. The study MikeMartial posted was the following...

2010 Apr 23. [Epub ahead of print]

Dietary and genetic evidence for phosphate toxicity accelerating mammalian aging.

Ohnishi M, Razzaque MS.
*Department of Oral Medicine, Infection, and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA; andDepartment of Pathology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan.
Abstract

Identifying factors that accelerate the aging process can provide important therapeutic targets for slowing down this process. Misregulation of phosphate homeostasis has been noted in various skeletal, cardiac, and renal diseases, but the exact role of phosphate toxicity in mammalian aging is not clearly defined. Phosphate is widely distributed in the body and is involved in cell signaling, energy metabolism, nucleic acid synthesis, and the maintenance of acid-base balance by urinary buffering. In this study, we used an in vivo genetic approach to determine the role of phosphate toxicity in mammalian aging. Klotho-knockout mice (klotho) have a short life span and show numerous physical, biochemical, and morphological features consistent with premature aging, including kyphosis, uncoordinated movement, hypogonadism, infertility, severe skeletal muscle wasting, emphysema, and osteopenia, as well as generalized atrophy of the skin, intestine, thymus, and spleen. Molecular and biochemical analyses suggest that increased renal activity of sodium-phosphate cotransporters (NaPi2a) leads to severe hyperphosphatemia in klotho mice. Genetically reducing serum phosphate levels in klotho mice by generating a NaPi2a and klotho double-knockout strain resulted in amelioration of premature aging-like features. The NaPi2a/klotho double-knockout mice regained reproductive ability, recovered their body weight, reduced their organ atrophy, and suppressed ectopic calcifications, with the resulting effect being prolonged survival.More important, when hyperphosphatemia was induced in NaPi2a/klotho mice by feeding with a high-phosphate diet, premature aging-like features reappeared, clearly suggesting that phosphate toxicity is the main cause of premature aging in klotho mice. The results of our dietary and genetic manipulation studies provide in vivo evidence for phosphate toxicity accelerating the aging process and suggest a novel role for phosphate in mammalian aging.
PMID: 20418498 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Yup, that's it. Definitely made me re-evaluate my stance on diet soda (well I suppose carbonated beverages in general) consumption, not to be confused with my stance on aspartame/artificial sweeteners though.

With that being said, I do indulge in a diet soda every once in awhile.

Well if you'd like some bro science...

After one Christmas I had a few pounds to lose so I went back to eating quite clean, using an eating plan that has often worked for me before. A few weeks later and I hadn't lost a single pound.

Looked at my intake and the only thing that had changed from when I had success was now I drank diet sodas every day. Went online and read about artificial sweeteners evoking some of the same hormonal responses as real sweeteners, signaling the body to keep/store fat.

I stopped with the diet soda and immediately lost weight.

Weird I've been cutting weight for my fight passed few weeks and I rarely drink pop but I have huge cravings for it. Been hitting coke zero a couple times a week. Just seems to quench my thirst.

Well if you'd like some bro science...

After one Christmas I had a few pounds to lose so I went back to eating quite clean, using an eating plan that has often worked for me before. A few weeks later and I hadn't lost a single pound.

Looked at my intake and the only thing that had changed from when I had success was now I drank diet sodas every day. Went online and read about artificial sweeteners evoking some of the same hormonal responses as real sweeteners, signaling the body to keep/store fat.

I stopped with the diet soda and immediately lost weight.

There is some debate going on wheather non sucrose based artifical sweetners illicit insulin responce but seeing as most diet sodas are zero calorie I don't see how that would even be possible, much less gain or retain body weight by switching from regular to diet sodas.

Don't drink anything but water. Anything else is for women.

The only time ill drink that shit is when I have to - when out with friends and nothing else is available etc

Diet pop contains harmful artificial sweetener aspartame, basically a neuro-toxin.

In fact, all "Diet" products do.

Have you read some of the English in this thread? Or even your own? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? And, finally, did you really need to bump this thread?

I hate to be a dick, but seriously....

Well i didn't want to be "that guy" who starts a new thread and people go ape shit on why i don't use the search function. dick

I love how, without any real scientific evidence, so many people are stating that diet soda is bad for you.

You have just as much evidence telling you that it is good for you, a miracle cure all and viable as a form of jet fuel. Mind you that is "no" evidence, but it is just as much as you are basing your "harmful" claims on.

Up next in hyperbole theatre we will discuss how water is bad for you based on the lady whom drank so much she died due to loss of electrolytes! Remember folks, stay away from water, it is bad for you!

I love how, without any real scientific evidence, so many people are stating that diet soda is bad for you.

You have just as much evidence telling you that it is good for you, a miracle cure all and viable as a form of jet fuel. Mind you that is "no" evidence, but it is just as much as you are basing your "harmful" claims on.

Up next in hyperbole theatre we will discuss how water is bad for you based on the lady whom drank so much she died due to loss of electrolytes! Remember folks, stay away from water, it is bad for you!

ummmmmmmm how about NO!

Aspartame is basically like Fluoride in that it builds up in your system.

Back