Diet question....

DLesko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys....I have a few questions. I weigh 227lbs with a bodyfat percentage in the mid 20's and want to lose weight. I was doing research into diets and came across something that disturbed me a bit. I was considering going back onto the low calories/low fat diet i was on. My plan was to consume approx 2500 calories with a ratio of 40%Protein/40% Carbs/20%Fat. Now, i saw a few posts on other sites saying that you can expect to lose a 1-to-1 ratio of muscle to fat on this diet. In other words, if i lose 20lbs at least 10lbs of that would be muscle. That i definetly do not want. What are your opinions on this? Is this true?

For starters, do you lift weights?

If yes, I don't think there should be so much of a muscle loss, espescially if you don't lower your calories too much in one shot.

If not, consider getting into it.

Fish oil might be good for you in both cases, I read studies according to which it reduces muscle catabolism (what you are worried about).

Keep your protein intake high and don't crash diet.

Yeah, i lift weights quite a bit. Any ideas on when the fish oil should be taken as a supplement? How do you work in into the diet?

My advice would be don't lower your caloric intake more than 500cal/day to begin with. 500 cal/day being the high end, feel free to lower it only 400-300 instead. Then maybe after a month you can lower it some more. Or better yet add cardio or calisthenics in the morning. Burpees would be good, or barbell complexes.

As for the time of the day to take the fish oil, I'd say just take it.

Slowly decrease your calorie intake, but make sure your consuming the same amount of protein you are now. Keep lifting and consume a lot of water. Try to elimate carbs after 6 pm and dont eat anything more than 2 hours before you go to sleep except for a protein shake. Increase your cardio slowly and you will get to your weight in no time.

Cool, thanks a bunch guys. I was in good shape up until last year and then had a really bad neck injury that required a disk being removed and plates inserted, i couldnt train or lift for months and ended upo gaining a bunch of weight. I hate it and want to get rid of it :)

Back