Diet Plan 2015

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Gankfest, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Gankfest

Gankfest White Belt

My daily diet for the year: My Diet

6:00am - wake up
    8:00am - 2 egg whites, 1 egg, oatmeal, 2 cups milk
    10:00am - 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup spinach
    Workout - cardio (BMX 10mi(about an hour) / 5 days a week)
    12:00pm - 50g of chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup broccoli
    2:00pm - 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup spinach
    Workout - weight training (3 days a week arms, 2 days a week legs, abs 7 days a week)
    4:00pm - 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup broccoli
    6:00pm - 50g of chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup asparagus, 2 cups milk.
    8:00pm - 2 egg whites, 1 cup cottage cheese
    10:00pm - bedtime

I take a Centrum Vitamin in the morning.

I have roughly 200$ to spend on food, sadly I live in America. I just wanted opinions on my diet, and if it could be done better. Thanx!

2. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Black Belt

Isn't that a lot of tuna as far as mercury goes?

3. T20o6

T20o6 White Belt

that is a strict way of eating, what are your goals?

4. I think your workout program could be done better...

5. Gankfest

Gankfest White Belt

Nothing in particular. I do BMX and martial art training unprofessionally. Being 33, I just like to stay in shape and workout. Since joining this site awhile ago, I've been able to better my diet, get better gains, and lost 20lbs. I asked about my diet because I believe there is always room for improvement. I revised the diet since I last asked, so why not get a free second opinion on it from people who know more than I.

I guess I should add:

Height: 5'11
    Weight 185

I'm not looking to get bigger or lose weight. I do want to do more weight lifting to gain strength, trade some left over fat for muscle. I just need to figure out what kind of weight training I would want to do for that...

6. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

Your diet could use some more healthy fats. As for gaining strength, I would try a beginner program like starting strength, or stronglifts. Focus on the compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, and press). You can do arms and abs as accessory movements after the main movements.

7. Gankfest

Gankfest White Belt

Added a couple tbsp of peanut butter, but ya I need to hop on over to conditioning thread and read the stickies. Thanx for the advice on the lifts though, will look into that as well.

8. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

This, especially considering your age and goals. Squats and deadlifts done with a moderate mindset will probably pay dividends later on in life as far as knee and back health goes.

9. BrockLesnarSon

BrockLesnarSon White Belt

You are eating too much, too often.

10. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Why are you eating so many damn meals? I could never stick to a nutritional plan that had me eating every 2 hours.

11. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

I guess it depends on what your goals are but in terms of healthy nutrition it's not ideal I wouldn't have thought.

Not enough variety IMO. If you eat the same few things every day you're missing out on the nutrients contained in the wide variety of foods available. 3 tins of tuna a day seems like it would put you at risk of mercury or other pollutants.
    No offal. No fruit. No red or orange veg. No beans. No beets. etc.

Why do you have to have a diet that is so strictly planned, with the same foods repeated daily and with precise and very frequent meal timings?

Seems to me that one does just as well with some basic daily goals of eating enough protein, lots of veg, enough starch to suit their goals etc and not worrying much further than that. You can then eat like a normal person at normal times and get a greater variety of foods as they come into season in your area.

12. Gankfest

Gankfest White Belt

It's only 2000 calories... Shouldn't it be more?

I've always been told that it's better to spread out meals than to eat bigger ones. Reason being it's easier to metabolize food in smaller portions than bigger ones. I could go pro and puree all my food, but that's over the top imo.

I have nothing against eating bigger meals, and majority of the time I eat 4 -5 times a day, because I'm to busy to eat every two hours lol. Anyway, I aim for that, but do the best I can as well.

Also, with doing BMX it's rough eating a big meal, and then riding for 10mi. It might be different lifting idk... Haven't made it through all the weight lifting stickies yet.

It's fine. It comes out to roughly .34mg of mercury per kg of body weight. CDC recommends roughly that as the max daily intake. With that being said, I've known people to eat 6 cans of tuna or more a day for years, and are still alive and well. Out of most fish, surprisingly canned tuna is pretty low in mercury comparative to other fish like swordfish.

I'm hardcore like that. I've pretty much been eating the same thing for years... I cheat from time to time and bake up some fries and cook a burger, or have taco night. I just don't care so much about variety in the sense of taste and flavor. Also I'll go out to a nice restaurant with the fam or friends eat whatever I feel like.

Also I'm on a budget, and have to make due with what I can afford. If I had the money I would put salmon, grapefruit, yogurt, and other stuff in there as well. I choose the best veggies I could think of excluding kale... Kale just sucks! :)

13. monkeyrhythm

monkeyrhythm Blue Belt

I presume mg is a typo and you mean

14. Gankfest

Gankfest White Belt

It's a typo, but it's 0.24 micrograms, per kilogram, per day. I'm also doing it by 2oz can and not 3oz cans. There's no 2oz can option on the nutrition site, but the stats match up for some reason.

Anyway you're right, I read the site wrong on the cdc and it's above the considered safety levels. I'll look into it, but it's complicated since tuna is so cheap. I can knock it back to 2 cans a day until I can find an alternative.

Thanx!