Diet Critique Please

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is my diet. I am 6' 200lbs. Trying to drop about 20 lbs of fat.

6AM: 1 bowl of Quaker oatmeal with Splenda. 2 scrambled eggs, 2 strips turkey bacon and 8 oz OJ.
9-10AM: 1 container of low fat, no sugar added yogurt.

11-12: 1 Michelina's low cal lunches (Roughly 200-300 cals), 1 container sugar free Jello

3-3:30PM: Half portion of leftover from night before. Today, it was about a cup of ground turkey mixed with Taco Bell seasoning, and a half a cup of white rice and salsa.

6-7PM: 2 broiled chicken breasts, lots of mixed veggies.

7-9PM: 1 bag of 100 cal popcorn or some strawberries or some natural PB on wheat crackers.

I eat this during the week. I would like to drop the Michelina's, but they are quick to make at work, and really cheap (88c) I don't feel hungry during the day. I drink water throughout the day, and have a diet soda or 2. I have a quasi-active job. I spend 75% in an office and 25% outside doing moderate intensity work.

I also do BJJ on Monday and Wednesday. Muay Thai on Thursday, and a NHB class Saturday.

Should I be able to cut my weight on this diet? I supplement with fish oil, multivitamin, glucosamine and 25mg ECA stack 1x in the morning.

It all depends on your metabolism and genetics! The diet itself is pretty good,you need to keep a decent amount of cals in you because of the BJJ,exercise,recovery. Alot of people get caught up in how much they eat/burn off as opposed to what they eat! In my experience it all comes down to how well you can apply this diet to your daily life. It would be better to lose 10lbs and be in great shape,then to drop 20 and feel lousy and tried. Also the quicker it comes off(h20 wt) the quicker it will return. I'd aim for 20 lbs over 3 months,this will allow for fat to be burnt off in a timely fashion.Maybe someone else has more detailed advice? good luck to you sir.

Your diet looks good. One thing you might want to try is cycling your carbs. heres an example: This plan is for a 200lb male.
It's a 3 day carb cycle to start. You'll have a high medium and low day. Start out with high, med, low. After two weeks, go to high, med, med, low. Continue this progression to high, med, low, low. Or, high, med, med, low, low. Basically add the days as your progress stalls. Adding low days will not make you progress quicker. So, try to keep them to a minimum. Most people are able to reach their goals with a max of High, med, low, low. Going low for longer than that is just a sure way to slow your metabolism.
Here are you caloric totals for the 3 days
High day:
350g protein
300g carbs
no added fat
Medium day:
350g protein
150g carbs
10g of fat with last meal
Low day:
350g protein
50g carbs
20g of fat split over your last 2 meals

Eat 6 times a day. Have roughly 55-60g of protein at each meal. Eat carbs with your first 4 meals on high and medium days. Eat carbs with your first two meals on the low day.

b0b said:
This is my diet. I am 6' 200lbs. Trying to drop about 20 lbs of fat.

6AM: 1 bowl of Quaker oatmeal with Splenda. 2 scrambled eggs, 2 strips turkey bacon and 8 oz OJ.
9-10AM: 1 container of low fat, no sugar added yogurt.

11-12: 1 Michelina's low cal lunches (Roughly 200-300 cals), 1 container sugar free Jello

3-3:30PM: Half portion of leftover from night before. Today, it was about a cup of ground turkey mixed with Taco Bell seasoning, and a half a cup of white rice and salsa.

6-7PM: 2 broiled chicken breasts, lots of mixed veggies.

7-9PM: 1 bag of 100 cal popcorn or some strawberries or some natural PB on wheat crackers.

I eat this during the week. I would like to drop the Michelina's, but they are quick to make at work, and really cheap (88c) I don't feel hungry during the day. I drink water throughout the day, and have a diet soda or 2. I have a quasi-active job. I spend 75% in an office and 25% outside doing moderate intensity work.

I also do BJJ on Monday and Wednesday. Muay Thai on Thursday, and a NHB class Saturday.

Should I be able to cut my weight on this diet? I supplement with fish oil, multivitamin, glucosamine and 25mg ECA stack 1x in the morning.

For the most part, WHAT you are eating is pretty good. How much and when may be your problem. I don't know your particulars, but breaking up your breakfast into two or even three meals might help the weight come off faster. The most important aspect of weight control is matching your caloric intake with your activity level. Metabolism is also a factor but it can be manipulated to an extent through meal spacing and exercise.

When I lean down towards the end of a training cycle, I eat like this....

430am Oatmeal or Whole grain cereal
7am apple and a handful of almonds
9am granola bar
11am turkey lettuce tomato sandwich on whole wheat and small yogurt
1pm banana or baby carrots
3pm chunky peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat
530pm salmon portion with mixed greens salad and brocoli
8pm protien shake

Keep in mind that I only eat like this when I'm slimming down. When I start a training cycle, I eat quite a bit more.
I'm 6' and at heaviest I'm 180-185, when i slim down I'm around 165-170.

Good luck bOb

I'm only going to say this:

Almost no eating regimen I've ever seen posted up here by anyone has the proper intake of green vegetables and I just posted a similar statement in the other diet critique thread.

Too much emphasis on non-green vegetables, fruit, and grains as carb sources. More servings of leafy greens and less of those others would do you well in the long-run.

I agree. Also, these diets always seem so restrictive and precise. I don't like to eat the same thing every day, so I find it impossible to plan my diet down to the letter. Rather, I follow guidelines. What's better than planning is recording: record what you ate. It's much faster to get a breakdown of your intake that way, and to make general corrections accordingly.

Here's the guidelines you should follow:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296262

King Kabuki said:
I'm only going to say this:

Almost no eating regimen I've ever seen posted up here by anyone has the proper intake of green vegetables and I just posted a similar statement in the other diet critique thread.

Too much emphasis on non-green vegetables, fruit, and grains as carb sources. More servings of leafy greens and less of those others would do you well in the long-run.

That is something I do need to incorporate more. I have some celery and some fresh spinach and romaine lettuce. I may start taking a small side salad to go with my lunch at work.

the cool thing about vegetables is because they are so easily absorbed that you can almost have an unlimited amount.

and no need to measure how much vegetables you take in . I don't even count my vegetables towards my carb/pro/fat counts due to how easily they are assimilated by the body

johnnynoname said:
the cool thing about vegetables is because they are so easily absorbed that you can almost have an unlimited amount.

and no need to measure how much vegetables you take in . I don't even count my vegetables towards my carb/pro/fat counts due to how easily they are assimilated by the body
Im the same way. I eat a alot of veggies but I don't count them towards my daily amount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back