Diet Cola

Torrid

Cunning Linguist
@Gold
Reaction score
So how bad are these drinks for you? Carbonation, artificial sweetener, and absolutely delicious.

Whenever I was cutting weight for a competition I'd take these out of my normal routine, but as of late I've done away with them completely. I've always been a fan of drinking at least one a day, but decided some restraint was in order. Am I really doing myself any favors or just causing unnecessary self-deprivation?

There's no need to mention that drinking water is more beneficial, lets just work under the assumption that whomever is drinking theses beverages has a healthy intake of water as well.

They are fine. They don't even really require moderation. They have no impact on your glycemic index and the worst thing any study has ever shown about them is that they phosphoric acid in them may bind with calcium in your digestive tract causing a weakening of the bones if you aren't getting enough calcium as it is. There is also another study that says it has no impact. So for the time being no one has any concrete evidence whatsoever that they are bad for you in any way.

I think most of the concern comes from those people who dont eat right, or exercise. They sit at their desk all day and drink 10 Diet Cokes (I have known several of these ppl) and that is their idea of dieting and being healthy.

I dont drink very many of them but sometimes a cola really hits the spot. Cherry Coke Zero is really damn good sometimes.

I think most of the concern comes from those people who dont eat right, or exercise. They sit at their desk all day and drink 10 Diet Cokes (I have known several of these ppl) and that is their idea of dieting and being healthy.

I dont drink very many of them but sometimes a cola really hits the spot. Cherry Coke Zero is really damn good sometimes.

Cherry coke zero is absolutely amazing. It's the only diet drink (to me) that tastes like the real thing.

The only concern is the phosphoric acid (IIRC that's the acid that is it cola but not clear sodas like Sprite). Now, whether it's true or not that diet soda conditions your body to dissociate consequences from sweets is still unknown to me, but if it's the ONLY sweet thing you're eating, what can it hurt?

Cherry coke zero is absolutely amazing. It's the only diet drink (to me) that tastes like the real thing.

Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Root Beer are also extremely close to the sweetened originals.

Diet orange sodas are the worst in this respect.

The only concern is the phosphoric acid (IIRC that's the acid that is it cola but not clear sodas like Sprite). Now, whether it's true or not that diet soda conditions your body to dissociate consequences from sweets is still unknown to me, but if it's the ONLY sweet thing you're eating, what can it hurt?

I keep hearing this about phosophoric acid but nobody that I have asked about it had any clue whether the AMOUNT of it in sodas has any significant or even appreciable effect on health.

Do you happen to know?

I'm kinda boggled here. It's as if folks are framing this like, "oh they're fine, go ahead." I don't believe they're fine, as they're a hodgepodge of chemicals that our bodies never seen prior to a few decades ago. The real question should be how bad are they for you. Their negative effects might be negligible. I mean, it's quite possible that all the chemical engineering that went into them made them taste yummy with absolutely no negative side effects at all. I find it hard to believe. Is drinking one a day going to shave a year or so off your life? Hell if I know. Do I drink them? Yes. (For the record, I drink real soda, and if I can find the shit with real sugar I prefer that). But I'm saying I don't think in any way shape or form are they good for you, but whether or not they actually pose harm is questionable.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems like somebody would read this thread, then think they're perfectly ok to have 1 or 2 a day, when I would really think there has to be SOME type of effect. Hell, what about that old adage about pouring it over ground beef and watching the acid eat away at the meat.

I don't know, flame away I guess, but I'm sticking to my original answer that says if you can't find a benefit, why do it? (I only tell my dirty secret to not seem like I'm perfect. But I'm giving advice about what I think is accurate, not what I do!)

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners or additives, sometimes when I buy sweets then I'll have some. That and hydrogenated fat. Until it has been proven 100% to have no negative effects on the health I'll probably won't eat or drink them. Rather play it safe, it's not like there aren't good alternatives like fruit or smoothies. I also don't take protein powder for the same reasons.

I keep hearing this about phosophoric acid but nobody that I have asked about it had any clue whether the AMOUNT of it in sodas has any significant or even appreciable effect on health.

Do you happen to know?

I also do not know the specific quantity in a serving of soda vs the amount needed to cause harm. I do know that it has been identified as potentially harmful so I tossed it out there.

I don't drink or eat anything with Aspartame in it but as for you don't take anyone's word on whether it is bad or safe do your own research.

In moderation it's fine to have sugar free Coke or Pepsi Max and far better than the sugar alternative.

Sinister/King Kakubi has posted on this many times and there are old threads floating about, possibly in the FAQ.

Ha! This again?

Honestly just drink water. It's all I drink minus 1 cup of coffee in the morning. After awhile of drinking only water, cola's and other soft drinks will taste like syrupy piss.

That's admirable, as untainted water is definitely one of the most beneficial things to drink. But we also don't like to encourage the perpetuation of myths, there's a lot of artificial sweetener smoke, and very little actual fire. Scientifically speaking.

Back