Diet and yoyo effect

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
'Escaping from jail is easy, the hardest part is staying free' said Liam Neeson in The Next Three Days movie, but the same rhetoric pretty much can be applied to dieting. Dieting is easy, hardest part is staying lean.

In my lifetime I had 3 different weight loss diets.

2x Keto and once low calorie diet. The longest I went on low calorie diet about 4 months, lost about 40 lbs. Keto diets were short lived, under a month.

My conclusion: No matter what diet you chose, your personal Iron Will is all that matters at the end of the day. But I have a lot of praise for low calorie diet. It does not restrict me what I want to eat but I need to meet my 1000-1200 kcal intake. So I could either have a 2 large pots of cabbage in a veggie broth or a slice of a cake. Cravings however were relentless, and I craved stuff I normally didn't eat like a...chocolate cake, yea I wouldn't normally have it.

So anyway, why did I stopped it. Well the idea was to get some weight shredded to go for vacations abroad to have that 'acceptable' looking body. And till that day the diet and iron will were at their heights. Of course as you can imagine, being abroad you not going to diet, cmon. So beer, steaks, fried chicken, ice cream and all that were on daily basis. And when I came back it turns out I put on 12 lbs back on and of course all diet then went to hell and I restored the lost weight within another couple months.

Why am I talking about it all? Because I just booked my vacations for July and I am in the same 'battle mood' I been before.

My questions are: How you guys deal with diets? (well I know 99% of sherdoggers are alpha males with lean 6 packs and dont need dieting) What helps you to sort of carrying on and prevent putting back on. Is there a special mindset, target? Feel free to tell your history just like I did, I will definitely read.

A slice of cake has 1400 calories?

unless you dip it in diabetes i don’t see how that’s possible

You can't change your "lifestyle" (calorie intake) to lose weight, but then expect to stay the same lower weight when you resort back to eating too much. That's why diets always fail, they're temporary.
Change the way you eat permanently, and include some exercise 3-4 days/week.

Ya-Yo effect will help your diet efforts.

You can't change your "lifestyle" (calorie intake) to lose weight, but then expect to stay the same lower weight when you resort back to eating too much. That's why diets always fail, they're temporary.
Change the way you eat permanently, and include some exercise 3-4 days/week.

Very wise words.

@Nameless King
Diet is something progressive to me. When I moved by myself in the early 20s I was a complete mess. After 26/27 I started eating better and better.
Now I do some intermittent fasting with low carb diet. Of course I have a cheat meal or two during the week.

Nowadays diet has become more functional than anything else. Fact is if I eat like shit one day I'm basically worthless for a while. I get my ass kicked in the gym and I feel terrible overall.

I won't deny that I love all junk food and sodas but that is not worth it.

What helps me to be on track is:

1) Train everyday: Because if I eat poorly training is hell
2) Having zero junk food in my house.
3) Meal prep: to avoid buying last moment junk food.
4) Not going to the supermarket: I only buy meat in the meat store and veggies in the veggies store. I avoid temptation of going to a supermarket and see all the delicious trash.

Low calorie lifestyle crew checking in.
I'm definitely the stay lean-eat cake kinda person.
One fat ass carb and sugar laden meal late and maybe a smaller one early if I need it, which I usually do. Not a fan if fasting anymore but it is a useful tool to have.

"Eat less, move more" is pretty much a bullshit approach (for most people).

I'd recommend reading 'The Obesity Code" and maybe "Atomic Habits" and going from there.

I can relate (although I’ve never been on a diet) just the reverse.

I’d actually like to gain muscle, at 6’2 and 221 lbs (weigh myself every morning) I’m still as thin as I was in high school.

I eat a lot (I’m a German) steak and eggs for breakfast, chicken/beef for lunches and dinners along with veggies fruit and milk.

Always fluctuate between 220-225lbs for the last 20 years and very low fat.

Although I must admit it doesn’t bother me too much, making money and being a good father is more important but still, would have enjoyed some decent musculature.

Well this is what I recently discovered

May-14-Sesame-Chicken-Shirataki-Noodle-Stir-Fry7.jpg

Taste like crap on its own, but stir fry 400 grams (40 kcal) of it with large onion, peppers, cabbage, soy or other sauce and u got a nice giant meal worth 100 kcal that fill you up for the half of the day...sounds too good to be true. But I guess I gonna give it a go...

My questions are: How you guys deal with diets? (well I know 99% of sherdoggers are alpha males with lean 6 packs and dont need dieting) What helps you to sort of carrying on and prevent putting back on. Is there a special mindset, target? Feel free to tell your history just like I did, I will definitely read.

My plainest answer would be to not look at life as a series of diets when it's time to lose weight. You just kind of have to commit to a healthy lifestyle in general, rather than freaking out every year and deciding you have to do something quick to look better.

That commitment comes down to what you eat and exercise.

I'm sure you've heard this before but it's true. And you're right, in the end it all does depend on your willpower to some degree. But you'll be better off doing something that is halfway toward a diet all the time and making it your status quo than doing nine months of pizza, three months of pick-a-diet.

Is there a special mindset or target? Mindset...just commitment. As to a target, just a little bit better than the day before.

Also, you're better off eating the same amount of food but choosing healthier foods with less carbs and fat than eating crap but just less of it.

And if you want to lose fat, one of the biggest things you can do is add some weights to your routine and put on a bit more muscle. The food you eat will go toward maintaining that new muscle, and in the balance, that comes out of the fat you are currently carrying around.

Last edited:
Well this is what I recently discovered

May-14-Sesame-Chicken-Shirataki-Noodle-Stir-Fry7.jpg

Taste like crap on its own, but stir fry 400 grams (40 kcal) of it with large onion, peppers, cabbage, soy or other sauce and u got a nice giant meal worth 100 kcal that fill you up for the half of the day...sounds too good to be true. But I guess I gonna give it a go...
These things are made from Konjac flour which a number of studies suggest may have all sorts of positive health benefits.

'Escaping from jail is easy, the hardest part is staying free' said Liam Neeson in The Next Three Days movie, but the same rhetoric pretty much can be applied to dieting. Dieting is easy, hardest part is staying lean.

2x Keto and once low calorie diet. The longest I went on low calorie diet about 4 months, lost about 40 lbs. Keto diets were short lived, under a month.

My conclusion: No matter what diet you chose, your personal Iron Will is all that matters at the end of the day. But I have a lot of praise for low calorie diet. It does not restrict me what I want to eat but I need to meet my 1000-1200 kcal intake. So I could either have a 2 large pots of cabbage in a veggie broth or a slice of a cake. Cravings however were relentless, and I craved stuff I normally didn't eat like a...chocolate cake, yea I wouldn't normally have it.

So anyway, why did I stopped it. Well the idea was to get some weight shredded to go for vacations abroad to have that 'acceptable' looking body. And till that day the diet and iron will were at their heights. Of course as you can imagine, being abroad you not going to diet, cmon. So beer, steaks, fried chicken, ice cream and all that were on daily basis. And when I came back it turns out I put on 12 lbs back on and of course all diet then went to hell and I restored the lost weight within another couple months.

Why am I talking about it all? Because I just booked my vacations for July and I am in the same 'battle mood' I been before.

I'm in the 215-225lb range nowadays, at around 18%bf. What I've learned over time is that the term "diet" in the colloquial sense doesn't really work for me. I don't diet.

I started lifting when I was 23, and combined that initially with across-the-board calorie restriction - no counting macros, just calories overall. It got me, with lifting, from 205 to 155 in about seven months. I've tried a few different "diets" since then - low carb, intermittent fasting etc. - but I realized that the best way - for me - to lose weight has really been a simple caloric deficit.

The more I read about it, the more I observed myself, the more sense it made. It's dead-simple thermodynamics - expend more than you take in, you will lose weight. It never doesn't work. It's elementary physics.

Now, where the complexity is introduced is when we decide to pursue more than one goal at a time. If simple weight loss is the goal, calorie restriction is the simplest answer. BUT, if we say we want to build muscle, or maintain muscle, or shed specific percentage of bodyfat, that's now a complex system we are defining.

That's why, for more complex goals, dieting in the colloquial sense of the word, becomes a thing. Carb cycling, macronutrient partitioning and timing, even intermittent fasting, all become a tool you can use to achieve a specific goal.

However, and I just spoke about this with my wife yesterday, maintaining a certain body requires being fully aware what it is that you're asking. Maintaining 10% bodyfat is very different than maintaing 12-15% bodyfat. The latter can be accomplished with an easier, more sustainable set of eating habits.

The key here is sustainable. What is sustainable for one person may not be for another. Fin that kind of eating regimen that is sustainable, with low-moderate effort for you, not necessarily what has worked for others. By sustainable, I mean something you can run all year round with little to no modifications. In my case, absent excessive drinking, I've found that I don't put on weight if I stick to my maintenance, or slightly above maintenance, calories with mostly protein, not too much carb and moderate fat intake, and lifting 4-7 days a week. It's become second nature to me over time to the point where I don't see other food choices when I go shopping. If I wanted to cut some weight, I'd simply drop overall calories and maybe introduce a day or two of cardio instead of lifting, that's it.

Fad diets are largely not sustainable over long periods of time and while they CAN be used for targeted weight loss, they should be your secret weapon to be used strategically, not something you hope to maintain year round - for year round, you need a regimen you can follow more or less effortlessly.

It's weird to me that 90% of the population can't even break a food addiction then proceed to look down their noses at people that can't beat drug addictions. Everyone has a different brain. Some how I don't get anything beyond very weak cravings for sugary foods. I think it's a genetic predisposition.

I've never "dieted" I've always been about that portion control.

Although lately I've been trying to eat 180 grams of protein each day.. ideally through chicken, red meat and whey protein and have been trying avoid eating sugar as much as possible for a couple years now.

Sticking to a diet is hard mainly because people work and travel and its hard to eat clean when you work a 9 to 5 so you just pick up some food at dennys or mcdonalds something.

You have to constantly find out what calories, carbs and protein content the menus have.

The biggest problem is that people use diets they can't stick with.

If you love carbs and your body digests it well, don't go on low carb, because eventually you're going to carb-binge.

If you love meat, don't go on a super low calorie diet otherwise you'll yoyo in the other direction.

It's not just about diet, it's also how active you are. 1000-1200 calories.... Oh boy. I probably burn that in the gym alone.

Key is realizing your metabolic clock. When do you wake and when do you sleep?

I'm an early riser so I do most of my food consumption early in the day and afternoon. I don't eat anything after 7 and eat most of my heavy stuff before 2. I try to stay from processed foods as much as possible and again, if I do eat it, it'll be early.

For me the key is working out as soon as I wake, which boosts my metabolism and helps me burn for most of the day. My body starts winding down by around 6-7 so it's probably not wise to consume foods around or after that as it's more difficult to break down, hence the creation of fat.

Merely eliminating breads and starchy shit did wonders for me. Introducing more veggies and fruits and properly timing and spacing my consumption has been optimal.

Back