Diego Sanchez says he made 'smart, veteran decision' taking DQ over Michel Pereira

gQalshsu

The welterweight co-headline bout, which took place Saturday at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., was cut short in the middle of the third round when Pereira (22-11 MMA, 1-2 UFC) landed a blatant illegal knee while Sanchez (30-12 MMA, 19-12 UFC) was down on the mat. The referee immediately intervened after the foul, and after a few minutes’ deliberation, the fight was called off.

Despite dishing out a devastating blow to the head that opened a nasty cut on Sanchez’s forehead, Pereira wasn’t immediately disqualified. Sanchez was given time to recover and asked if he could continue, and ultimately he decided he couldn’t. The 15-year UFC veteran received some backlash for not going through with the rest of the fight, but Sanchez said he knows he made the right call.

“Did I quit? No,” Sanchez told MMA Junkie on Monday. “I got hit with a (expletive) serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran decision because I know my face is, regardless or not of the last two minutes of the fight, my face is going to be covered in blood. The image is going to be painted on the judges. I already know. I don’t have a chance of winning that fight anymore. So, did I quit? I made a (expletive) smart decision to not put myself in some real danger where I would’ve been injured when that mother(expletive) hit me with an illegal shot when I was down.”

Although Sanchez was down 20-18 on all judges scorecards going into the third round, “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner felt he was doing some good things up until the fight-ending sequence. Pereira wasn’t able to put Sanchez is any serious danger, but was largely controlling the action.

Pereira cost himself the fight on multiple fronts, though. Sanchez admitted the knee that connected to his body prior to the illegal strike to the head caused some significant damage, then the vicious knee put the icing on the cake. Pereira had a good shot at ending the fight with a clean TKO, but instead he got reckless and cost himself a finish, or at worst, a decision win on the scorecards.

Sanchez was quick to point out the blame for all that falls solely on Pereira. When given a choice, Sanchez looked out for not only his well being in the moment, but also for the long term.

“I took a hard hit to the head, but I made the right decision,” Sanchez said. “I knew that maybe I was going down on the scorecards. I knew. But my opponent lost control. He did not have the awareness to notice that I had gone down from a shot to the ribs. That really injured me, that shot to the ribs. It broke two of my ribs completely. I went down. He did not have the awareness that I went down. He threw a fully powered shot to my mother(expletive) dome piece, that split my wig. Split my forehead. I’m not your average human being. It did not knock me out, but did it damage me? Yes.

“How about the blood? How about the scar that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life? How about the blood that’s going to impact the judges? How about all this going forward? What if I get really (expletive) hurt? I made the right decision. I don’t need you guys look down here like, ‘Oh, I might have the biggest heart in the sport but I quit because I was (expletive) scared of Pereira.’ I’ve been doing this longer than (expletive) anybody and I deserve a little respect. If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Sanchez said that, despite the cut and damaged ribs, he is in a good place just days after the fight. He intends to continue working with head coach and manager Joshua Fabia from the School of Self Awareness and from there, will figure out his next move.

“When I came out of this fight I’ve never felt in a better head space,” Sanchez said. “It is not for the belt anymore, it is for the platform so I can get these people behind me so that I can find these people, get these people and eventually inspire them, motivate them and help them live healthier and live truly and more powerfully. This is something that’s going to happen with School of Self Awareness and myself. I’m set for life. With this other stuff going on, I’m not going to need fighting and how I finish my career will be on my terms.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...el-pereira-knee/amp?__twitter_impression=true
I agree 100%. It was a hard illegal shot that bust his head open... the ref should have called the fight. Shouldn't have out Sanchez in that position.

[QUOTE="Sami94, post: 158826699, member: 553401

Pushing a culture of shaming the disadvantaged party for demanding the rules to be enforced is basically glorifying cheaters. Martial arts are about self-discipline, not reckless disregard for others and for regulations.[/QUOTE]

This applies to things like racism as well.

No, no... his coach is definitely still a fucking hack clown ass SOB.

Diego deserves better (better coaches.. and more respect from some of you fuckin keyboard warriors).
The first part agree. Was being sarcastic. Second partly agree.. Diego definitely deserves better; that part I disagree with is the keyboard warrior. I’m a navy vet. I’m a man who knows how use a fucking keyboard.

I would LOVE to see you shertards at 38 with no retiremant plan in the same situation with 100k on the line.

I didn't "quit" I took the "veterans decision."

<JagsKiddingMe>

Look, I know Diego probably should be in the care of mental health professionals these days, and I don't have an issue with him taking the DQ. He doesn't owe the game anything at this stage. But, you're turning in your warrior card when you pretend you can't continue after an illegal shot.

You can't have it both ways.

Good for him. Dude is brain damaged beyond hope, but at least can still make a sensible decision and not aggravate his situation.

To me he obviously made the smart decision. There was no way he was going to win the fight through the judges and had very little chance to finish Pereira in the last 2 min or less of that round.

I don't blame him at all. And people calling him a coward, should watch his past fights. He's been in many wars, no doubt he's a warrior.

I didn't "quit" I took the "veterans decision."

<JagsKiddingMe>

Look, I know Diego probably should be in the care of mental health professionals these days, and I don't have an issue with him taking the DQ. He doesn't owe the game anything at this stage. But, you're turning in your warrior card when you pretend you can't continue after an illegal shot.

You can't have it both ways.
That flush knee to the head was clearly illegal and split him open. It's not like Diego was reaching for the ground with his hands to stop a knee - he was legitimately on his ass and took a heavy knee to the face. Why should he be shamed for choosing not to continue? He was obviously heavily compromised by the shot in a fight he was losing, so his chances of getting a finish after that probably went to zero. It seems that Sherbros genuinely believe you can't be hurt by an illegal shot unless it KOs you; like the way you said he must have been 'pretending'. You have to be a warrior to continue, and you aren't if you don't.

That flush knee to the head was clearly illegal and split him open. It's not like Diego was reaching for the ground with his hands to stop a knee - he was legitimately on his ass and took a heavy knee to the face. Why should he be shamed for choosing not to continue? He was obviously heavily compromised by the shot in a fight he was losing, so his chances of getting a finish after that probably went to zero. It seems that Sherbros genuinely believe you can't be hurt by an illegal shot unless it KOs you; like the way you said he must have been 'pretending'. You have to be a warrior to continue, and you aren't if you don't.

Dude I said in this and other posts that I think he did the right thing and he owes MMA nothing.

But I object to him saying he didn't quit. That's exactly what he did. He was fine to continue and he would have if he was younger. He looked for multiple clarifications of the rules before he announced he couldn't see out of his eye. WTF you either can see or you can't.

He's a fruit loop so his interviews mean nothing but it still irked me a little and I'm a fan of his.
Say "I'm a veteran and I took the payday. He shouldn't have fucked up if he wanted that win money."
Don't say "I'm a veteran and I took the payday but I'm a warrior and I didn't quit."

Diego is fucked up and destined for a shitty life ahead. I'm glad he got the money. He doesn't owe me anything. But call it like it is. He quit the fight. I've no problem with it, but don't try to tell me he didn't.

Dude I said in this and other posts that I think he did the right thing and he owes MMA nothing.

But I object to him saying he didn't quit. That's exactly what he did. He was fine to continue and he would have if he was younger. He looked for multiple clarifications of the rules before he announced he couldn't see out of his eye. WTF you either can see or you can't.

He's a fruit loop so his interviews mean nothing but it still irked me a little and I'm a fan of his.
Say "I'm a veteran and I took the payday. He shouldn't have fucked up if he wanted that win money."
Don't say "I'm a veteran and I took the payday but I'm a warrior and I didn't quit."

Diego is fucked up and destined for a shitty life ahead. I'm glad he got the money. He doesn't owe me anything. But call it like it is. He quit the fight. I've no problem with it, but don't try to tell me he didn't.
So there's no way he was genuinely hurt by that flush knee to the face? That's what I mean...if a fighter isn't KO'd by an illegal shot, they are 'quitting'.

Only Diego knows how hurt he was, but that's definitely one of the more blatant and brutal illegal shots I've seen. You might have missed my point; if you've been smashed illegally, you've got a concussion, ect...why should you be a quitter to opt not to continue? Your opponent has been given a massive advantage by a cheating blow.

So there's no way he was genuinely hurt by that flush knee to the face? That's what I mean...if a fighter isn't KO'd by an illegal shot, they are 'quitting'.

Only Diego knows how hurt he was, but that's definitely one of the more blatant and brutal illegal shots I've seen. You might have missed my point; if you've been smashed illegally, you've got a concussion, ect...why should you be a quitter to opt not to continue? Your opponent has been given a massive advantage by a cheating blow.

I'm not arguing against you. I just have a problem with what he said in the interview.

He got hit hard. It was illegal. He shouldn't even have been asked if he could continue it should have been an instant DQ.

But, When you tap out or say you can't continue, for any reason, then you quit. There's no shame in it for me. It's a sport.

When you try to check the rules or try to talk to your coach before you make your decision and you have the doctor and ref rolling their eyes at you then you probably are ok to continue.

When you do an interview afterwards and say "I took a veterans decision but i'm not a quitter." then you could have continued but you decided not to.

Fuck that. Own your decisions.

Back