Diego Sanchez says he made 'smart, veteran decision' taking DQ over Michel Pereira

"If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Diego had his chance to take the respect. He chose the DQ win instead. You can't have both.
Neckbeard Respect don't pay the bills

"If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Diego had his chance to take the respect. He chose the DQ win instead. You can't have both.
He got my respect my taking
The DQ. It’s easy to go back out
There.litterally EVERYBODY in that arena wants him to go back out. But to take that money and go home....just a nice change in the sport imo

So much respect for Sanchez for being honest with himself and the fans. This is really refreshing. It's not worth being beaten within a inch of his life for chump change, reebok kit and some sherbros admiration.

I see both sides so at the end of it I come out feeling like this- what I want to see is people do what Anthony smith did or what countless other boxers and fighters have done, which is be crazy warriors with reckless abandon and act like they are fine even if they aren’t, and if they are actually fine then I want them to be honest because the ultimate goal of fighting is the pursuit of truth.

That being said, Pereira threw an illegal knee that’s outside of the agreed rule set so whatever comes out of it is fair game even if I don’t like it. Sanchez has every right to do what he did, for whatever reason he wanted to, whether he just wanted out or it was a business decision or he legitimately couldn’t continue.

HUGE respect for diego for owning his decision. If you're shitting on him, you're an idiot. Any of us would have made the same decision if we were in the same position.
Not the Sherdoggers!!!
They would’ve gone out and fought to the death!!!

People here acting like the foul was a slap on the wrist in a basketball game.

”Dude just take your free throws and the L”

<TheWire1>

Did you see he got ILLEGALLY full force kneed in the head? It’s not just that he got a huge cut in his forehead that kept bleeding, he was seriously hurt. It seems like either you are out cold or you are faking it. What the f@&k.

He was hurt badly with a illegal shot. Could he have continued and lived to tell the tale? Sure, maybe he’d survive to hear the decision or maybe he’d get KO’d as he was already hurt badly.

Was he placed on a serious disadvantage right there? Yes. That’s why it’s totally fair play to decide not to continue.

In all honesty Diego needs to retire. Take the money hang them up bro. You had good career and its time. Its actually been his time years ago. No money can buy your health from brain damage.

Diego has 42 professional fights. He's the farthest away from a coward as you can get. These fighters fight for money. Not respect, not honor, but money.

There’s no excuse.

I got jumped by 11 bodybuilders back in ‘14, and after knocking out the first 8, I had to take a couple lumps, as one of them sucker punched me in the back of the head with a tire iron. After I blacked out from being mad about that, I wrecked the last 3 and took off running as I snapped out of it, since I didn’t know what was happening after I blacked out from being mad.

Moral of the story, it’s not about me or how I knocked out 11 bodybuilders virtually at the same time, but more about how you can choose to run from your problems or face them head on. I guess for me it’s just a little bit about respect and honor as a man, but I understand everyone’s on a different path in life, so I never judge.

I hope you can take something from that and use it as a reference later in life. I don’t go out much anymore nowadays, it’s just safer for everyone that way.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

-Law Dog circa ‘14

Last edited:
agree with it or not, diego made his choice. I'm disappointed but I ain't taking anything away from the man.

what i can't fucking believe is he's going back to this trainer. what the fuck is this guy selling? school of self awareness? how did he find this guy? does diego not have any friends or colleagues that can give him some sane advice?

I’ve heard on a couple different MMA podcasts about Diego not being a crappy training parter or just not a team player.

People saying he is being honest didn't actually read the OP.

He's saying it was smart because the blood would have influenced the judges and all that bullshit. He didn't admit it was a financial decision.

There’s no excuse.

I got jumped by 11 bodybuilders back in ‘14, and after knocking out the fist 8, I had to take a couple lumps, as one of them sucker punched me in the back of the head with a tire iron. After I blacked out from being mad about that, I wrecked the last 3 and took off running as I snapped out of it, since I didn’t know what was happening after I blacked out from being mad.

Moral of the story, it’s not about me or how I knocked out 11 bodybuilders virtually at the same time, but more about how you can choose to run from your problems or face them head on. I guess for me it’s just a little bit about respect and honor as a man, but I understand everyone’s on a different path in life, so I never judge. 4

Uuuuumm, by any chance, does your first name start with a “J”? And is it your last name Van Damme?

Uuuuumm, by any chance, does your first name start with a “J”? And is it your last name Van Damme?

Bro, did you not read where I said me being away from people is probly best for everyone’s safety. I can’t divulge my identity. To many people always end up hurt, mostly bodybuilders tho.

I'm kind of torn. On one hand he's right that it wasn't his fault, the knee was illegal and probably serious enough to end any chance he had at winning, though he admits he was losing anyway at that point.

I think what bugs me is him acting like that knee put him in danger. He was in as much danger with that knee as he was the ones that broke his ribs. The downed fighter rule isn't for protection but optics, it's a technicality. Don't justify it by taking the moral high ground, either own the decision or don't.

Bro, did you not read where I said me being away from people is probly best for everyone’s safety. I can’t divulge my identity. To many people always end up hurt, mostly bodybuilders tho.

Ok ok ok ok... Steven Segal. Got it.

This guy used to be my favourite fighter. For a long time.

I miss how he used to fight. (Good I mean)

Well, then he shouldn't have talked shit against Till and said he made a pussy bitch made move.

Kettle calling the kettle black.

gQalshsu

The welterweight co-headline bout, which took place Saturday at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., was cut short in the middle of the third round when Pereira (22-11 MMA, 1-2 UFC) landed a blatant illegal knee while Sanchez (30-12 MMA, 19-12 UFC) was down on the mat. The referee immediately intervened after the foul, and after a few minutes’ deliberation, the fight was called off.

Despite dishing out a devastating blow to the head that opened a nasty cut on Sanchez’s forehead, Pereira wasn’t immediately disqualified. Sanchez was given time to recover and asked if he could continue, and ultimately he decided he couldn’t. The 15-year UFC veteran received some backlash for not going through with the rest of the fight, but Sanchez said he knows he made the right call.

“Did I quit? No,” Sanchez told MMA Junkie on Monday. “I got hit with a (expletive) serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran decision because I know my face is, regardless or not of the last two minutes of the fight, my face is going to be covered in blood. The image is going to be painted on the judges. I already know. I don’t have a chance of winning that fight anymore. So, did I quit? I made a (expletive) smart decision to not put myself in some real danger where I would’ve been injured when that mother(expletive) hit me with an illegal shot when I was down.”

Although Sanchez was down 20-18 on all judges scorecards going into the third round, “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner felt he was doing some good things up until the fight-ending sequence. Pereira wasn’t able to put Sanchez is any serious danger, but was largely controlling the action.

Pereira cost himself the fight on multiple fronts, though. Sanchez admitted the knee that connected to his body prior to the illegal strike to the head caused some significant damage, then the vicious knee put the icing on the cake. Pereira had a good shot at ending the fight with a clean TKO, but instead he got reckless and cost himself a finish, or at worst, a decision win on the scorecards.

Sanchez was quick to point out the blame for all that falls solely on Pereira. When given a choice, Sanchez looked out for not only his well being in the moment, but also for the long term.

“I took a hard hit to the head, but I made the right decision,” Sanchez said. “I knew that maybe I was going down on the scorecards. I knew. But my opponent lost control. He did not have the awareness to notice that I had gone down from a shot to the ribs. That really injured me, that shot to the ribs. It broke two of my ribs completely. I went down. He did not have the awareness that I went down. He threw a fully powered shot to my mother(expletive) dome piece, that split my wig. Split my forehead. I’m not your average human being. It did not knock me out, but did it damage me? Yes.

“How about the blood? How about the scar that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life? How about the blood that’s going to impact the judges? How about all this going forward? What if I get really (expletive) hurt? I made the right decision. I don’t need you guys look down here like, ‘Oh, I might have the biggest heart in the sport but I quit because I was (expletive) scared of Pereira.’ I’ve been doing this longer than (expletive) anybody and I deserve a little respect. If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Sanchez said that, despite the cut and damaged ribs, he is in a good place just days after the fight. He intends to continue working with head coach and manager Joshua Fabia from the School of Self Awareness and from there, will figure out his next move.

“When I came out of this fight I’ve never felt in a better head space,” Sanchez said. “It is not for the belt anymore, it is for the platform so I can get these people behind me so that I can find these people, get these people and eventually inspire them, motivate them and help them live healthier and live truly and more powerfully. This is something that’s going to happen with School of Self Awareness and myself. I’m set for life. With this other stuff going on, I’m not going to need fighting and how I finish my career will be on my terms.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...el-pereira-knee/amp?__twitter_impression=true
<{monica}><NoneOfMy>

He's probably going to get one fight and get cut. He would headline regional shows and the UFC will bring him back for local events. He's at the tail end of his career with nothing to really show for it. He never went to college or even a trade school. All he knows is MMA but he doesn't know how to coach or take a secondary role.

gQalshsu

The welterweight co-headline bout, which took place Saturday at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., was cut short in the middle of the third round when Pereira (22-11 MMA, 1-2 UFC) landed a blatant illegal knee while Sanchez (30-12 MMA, 19-12 UFC) was down on the mat. The referee immediately intervened after the foul, and after a few minutes’ deliberation, the fight was called off.

Despite dishing out a devastating blow to the head that opened a nasty cut on Sanchez’s forehead, Pereira wasn’t immediately disqualified. Sanchez was given time to recover and asked if he could continue, and ultimately he decided he couldn’t. The 15-year UFC veteran received some backlash for not going through with the rest of the fight, but Sanchez said he knows he made the right call.

“Did I quit? No,” Sanchez told MMA Junkie on Monday. “I got hit with a (expletive) serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran decision because I know my face is, regardless or not of the last two minutes of the fight, my face is going to be covered in blood. The image is going to be painted on the judges. I already know. I don’t have a chance of winning that fight anymore. So, did I quit? I made a (expletive) smart decision to not put myself in some real danger where I would’ve been injured when that mother(expletive) hit me with an illegal shot when I was down.”

Although Sanchez was down 20-18 on all judges scorecards going into the third round, “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner felt he was doing some good things up until the fight-ending sequence. Pereira wasn’t able to put Sanchez is any serious danger, but was largely controlling the action.

Pereira cost himself the fight on multiple fronts, though. Sanchez admitted the knee that connected to his body prior to the illegal strike to the head caused some significant damage, then the vicious knee put the icing on the cake. Pereira had a good shot at ending the fight with a clean TKO, but instead he got reckless and cost himself a finish, or at worst, a decision win on the scorecards.

Sanchez was quick to point out the blame for all that falls solely on Pereira. When given a choice, Sanchez looked out for not only his well being in the moment, but also for the long term.

“I took a hard hit to the head, but I made the right decision,” Sanchez said. “I knew that maybe I was going down on the scorecards. I knew. But my opponent lost control. He did not have the awareness to notice that I had gone down from a shot to the ribs. That really injured me, that shot to the ribs. It broke two of my ribs completely. I went down. He did not have the awareness that I went down. He threw a fully powered shot to my mother(expletive) dome piece, that split my wig. Split my forehead. I’m not your average human being. It did not knock me out, but did it damage me? Yes.

“How about the blood? How about the scar that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life? How about the blood that’s going to impact the judges? How about all this going forward? What if I get really (expletive) hurt? I made the right decision. I don’t need you guys look down here like, ‘Oh, I might have the biggest heart in the sport but I quit because I was (expletive) scared of Pereira.’ I’ve been doing this longer than (expletive) anybody and I deserve a little respect. If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Sanchez said that, despite the cut and damaged ribs, he is in a good place just days after the fight. He intends to continue working with head coach and manager Joshua Fabia from the School of Self Awareness and from there, will figure out his next move.

“When I came out of this fight I’ve never felt in a better head space,” Sanchez said. “It is not for the belt anymore, it is for the platform so I can get these people behind me so that I can find these people, get these people and eventually inspire them, motivate them and help them live healthier and live truly and more powerfully. This is something that’s going to happen with School of Self Awareness and myself. I’m set for life. With this other stuff going on, I’m not going to need fighting and how I finish my career will be on my terms.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...el-pereira-knee/amp?__twitter_impression=true

That's disgusting. He should be ashamed of himself, I think.

gQalshsu

Not much more too say! He is being honest.
Everyone knows he took the easy way out. He was losing he had no shot at winning, its on the other guy to not take an illegal head shot at Diego! That being said Diego is making the level of pay and occupying a roster spot solely based on his past performances and loyalty to the ufc! But based on the preflight antics and what can only be described as in fight antics/performance and his clear admission to taking the easy way out I think it is time for the retirement phone call from Dana or off to pride he goes. As a customer of PPvs I for sure have zero interest in watching the Diego side show anymore. Let’s be honest it was his heart that you loved to watch he has never been the most talented guy. Now that his heart is no longer in it, it’s time !

Back