Diego Sanchez says he made 'smart, veteran decision' taking DQ over Michel Pereira

So in other words, he quit because he knew he was going to lose.
Funny how I can say the same thing, but more positively for Diego image: had he not been down on the scorecard, he would have continue.

agree with it or not, diego made his choice. I'm disappointed but I ain't taking anything away from the man.

what i can't fucking believe is he's going back to this trainer. what the fuck is this guy selling? school of self awareness? how did he find this guy? does diego not have any friends or colleagues that can give him some sane advice?

He's a crazy chicken now.

0318-openshut-epl-logo.jpg

Well, no shit, everyone saying otherwise is an idiot and not a prize fighter, when 50% of the immediate pay depends on winning anything legal goes and he got it, even future income, lets say Smith takes the DQ way out and well, he becomes the champ, makes bank on his first title defense most likely a rematch, is he the best LHW? No, but he will get paid, Diego was right in taking it, period.

The only person Diego cares about what they think is his daughter who was there. She's not old enough to know anything other than "Dad Won". If he'd kept going all she would've known is "Dad got beat up and lost". I don't blame the guy for what he did. $100K will buy a lot of college for his kid and I'm sure he's not losing any sleep over what Sherdog thinks about it.
You have to have something wrong to take your children to watch you fight. Anybody remember bisping getting killed in front of his daughters.

Diego kept asking Jason Horzog, what will be the results if the fight ends.........

Lol hes worried about the scar??????
Kind of a weird statement considering BJ gave him a free vagina on his forehead a few years ago, but I get. He took a flush knee to the head on a fight he was losing and would eventually lose. His ribs were cracked.

Take the DQ and you get your win purse. If it was something more minor, for sure he would deserve some negativity, but it wasn't like Weidman/Mousasi where Weidman was purposefully trying to make contact to the canvas with his hands to avoid the knees...Diego got split open from a flush knee when he was on his ass.

All the people on here applauding a win via DQ make me laugh. Obviously never won anything in life so they have to celebrate a DQ vicariously through Diego <Lmaoo>
You'd know, because obviously you've stepped in the cage and gone to war with another trained athlete ;)

I'm disappointed in him. His whole career is based off of that warrior mentality. He quit because he knew he'd get the W. Fuck that smart veteran move bs. He took a win the only way he could and now he's defending himself from the rightfully deserved backlash he's getting.

People white knighting a cheating goof for throwing an illegal knee... against an aging veteran.

I can’t believe what Sherdog has become lmao, bunch of bones fans ITT

Diego has been around for a long time. Did well when things went mainstream and held his own when the sport started to really evolve. Fought in different weight classes and did well. We Sherdogger's are not in (less and except Sherdoggers that are fighters that post here) that cage when the door closes. We don't know what it feels like.

Diego is far past his best years. Although he gave a lot of great performances and some memorable fights, it may be the right time to hang up the gloves.

"If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Diego had his chance to take the respect. He chose the DQ win instead. You can't have both.

Bunch of people want to talk about honor and respect but for 100k most would take the win. Respect doesn't pay bills.

I agree with both of these posts.

Will Sanchez's reputation take a hit? Yes, but not much of one. He's had 31 fights in the UFC over a decade and a half.

If this fight was of any serious consequence (rankings & titles) the backlash would be far more severe, but it was between two non-ranked fighters, and Sanchez is in the twilight of his career and padding his bank account before he retires. (Nothing wrong with that)

Overall, its surprising move by a 'Just Bleed' Sanchez, but shouldn't be a large blemish on his legacy.

Back