Diego Sanchez says he made 'smart, veteran decision' taking DQ over Michel Pereira

Whats the point of rules if they shouldn't be enforced? Did he not illegally disadvantage diego with the move?

If there was no DQ rules then everyone would be doing illegal shit and then the playing field would be level.

But the rules are there, which means when people break them, they are gaining an advantage -- thus penalties are only fair.

Pushing a culture of shaming the disadvantaged party for demanding the rules to be enforced is basically glorifying cheaters. Martial arts are about self-discipline, not reckless disregard for others and for regulations.

ATTENTION SHERDOG THIS IS WHAT HONESTY FROM A LOSING FIGHTER LOOKS LIKE.

So many people complain when fighters bullshit. Well heres total honesty. And most of you act appalled anyway.

Can't win for losing

"If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Diego had his chance to take the respect. He chose the DQ win instead. You can't have both.
The only person Diego cares about what they think is his daughter who was there. She's not old enough to know anything other than "Dad Won". If he'd kept going all she would've known is "Dad got beat up and lost". I don't blame the guy for what he did. $100K will buy a lot of college for his kid and I'm sure he's not losing any sleep over what Sherdog thinks about it.

Whats the point of rules if they shouldn't be enforced? Did he not illegally disadvantage diego with the move?

If there was no DQ rules then everyone would be doing illegal shit and then the playing field would be level.

But the rules are there, which means when people break them, they are gaining an advantage -- thus penalties are only fair.

Pushing a culture of shaming the disadvantaged party for demanding the rules to be enforced is basically glorifying cheaters. Martial arts are about self-discipline, not reckless disregard for others and for regulations.
Yes dude did not pay attention to the rules and lost. Now Diego lying about not being able to see violated the unwritten rule numerous uno of fighting. FIGHT. I dont know if there is a rule about lying to refs and doctors to get out of a fight. It would be impossible to tell. However in a court of public opinion dont play dense like you dont understand why its frowned on.

Not really asinine at all. Morons like you who have never gotten in a cage before calling a guy like Diego out for getting kneed in the fuckin head illegally by a beast are the ones who are asinine.
I'm calling him out for lying about the extent of the damage.

And fuck off with the "hate the fighters" nonsense. I've followed the sport since I was twelve. I cheered until I was hoarse when Forrest submitted Shogun. I teared up when Aldo got the win over Stephens. Hell, I've actually helped with my friend's weight cut when he was going for his amateur debut. This sport has been my biggest passion for nearly two decades, so Diego's "veteran" bullshit rubs me the wrong way.

don't really like it but honestly i can't deny he made the smart choice, he was losing that fight and there was absoutely no way he was walking out with a win had he continue to fight
his option was either take the win and the money that comes with it or take the lose and get extra damage done

Most guys I’d shit on for this .....Sanchez has shown so much heart over the years ... I’ll let this one slide

He didn't quit, he got fouled
Did you not notice that nobody is giving Brok Weaver any shit for his DQ win because he was legitimately hurt by it?

Diego himself even called it a "tactical" move which means he could have continued but lied about the effect of the knee to get a DQ win. There was no doubt he could have continued if he wanted to. His series of questions followed by his nonsense about the blood in his eye before saying he wouldn't continue is quitting.

HUGE respect for diego for owning his decision. If you're shitting on him, you're an idiot. Any of us would have made the same decision if we were in the same position.

we all (mma fans) support Diego
and yeah, that was a veteran move
still.. he need to.make some serious improvement if he wants to hang on mma competition.

Did you not notice that nobody is giving Brok Weaver any shit for his DQ win because he was legitimately hurt by it?

Diego himself even called it a "tactical" move which means he could have continued but lied about the effect of the knee to get a DQ win. There was no doubt he could have continued if he wanted to. His series of questions followed by his nonsense about the blood in his eye before saying he wouldn't continue is quitting.

I couldn't care less. The fact is this situation happened because the guy fouled him. I'm not going to penalize Diego for his opponent's lack of discipline

gQalshsu

The welterweight co-headline bout, which took place Saturday at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., was cut short in the middle of the third round when Pereira (22-11 MMA, 1-2 UFC) landed a blatant illegal knee while Sanchez (30-12 MMA, 19-12 UFC) was down on the mat. The referee immediately intervened after the foul, and after a few minutes’ deliberation, the fight was called off.

Despite dishing out a devastating blow to the head that opened a nasty cut on Sanchez’s forehead, Pereira wasn’t immediately disqualified. Sanchez was given time to recover and asked if he could continue, and ultimately he decided he couldn’t. The 15-year UFC veteran received some backlash for not going through with the rest of the fight, but Sanchez said he knows he made the right call.

“Did I quit? No,” Sanchez told MMA Junkie on Monday. “I got hit with a (expletive) serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran decision because I know my face is, regardless or not of the last two minutes of the fight, my face is going to be covered in blood. The image is going to be painted on the judges. I already know. I don’t have a chance of winning that fight anymore. So, did I quit? I made a (expletive) smart decision to not put myself in some real danger where I would’ve been injured when that mother(expletive) hit me with an illegal shot when I was down.”

Although Sanchez was down 20-18 on all judges scorecards going into the third round, “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner felt he was doing some good things up until the fight-ending sequence. Pereira wasn’t able to put Sanchez is any serious danger, but was largely controlling the action.

Pereira cost himself the fight on multiple fronts, though. Sanchez admitted the knee that connected to his body prior to the illegal strike to the head caused some significant damage, then the vicious knee put the icing on the cake. Pereira had a good shot at ending the fight with a clean TKO, but instead he got reckless and cost himself a finish, or at worst, a decision win on the scorecards.

Sanchez was quick to point out the blame for all that falls solely on Pereira. When given a choice, Sanchez looked out for not only his well being in the moment, but also for the long term.

“I took a hard hit to the head, but I made the right decision,” Sanchez said. “I knew that maybe I was going down on the scorecards. I knew. But my opponent lost control. He did not have the awareness to notice that I had gone down from a shot to the ribs. That really injured me, that shot to the ribs. It broke two of my ribs completely. I went down. He did not have the awareness that I went down. He threw a fully powered shot to my mother(expletive) dome piece, that split my wig. Split my forehead. I’m not your average human being. It did not knock me out, but did it damage me? Yes.

“How about the blood? How about the scar that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life? How about the blood that’s going to impact the judges? How about all this going forward? What if I get really (expletive) hurt? I made the right decision. I don’t need you guys look down here like, ‘Oh, I might have the biggest heart in the sport but I quit because I was (expletive) scared of Pereira.’ I’ve been doing this longer than (expletive) anybody and I deserve a little respect. If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go (expletive) take it.”

Sanchez said that, despite the cut and damaged ribs, he is in a good place just days after the fight. He intends to continue working with head coach and manager Joshua Fabia from the School of Self Awareness and from there, will figure out his next move.

“When I came out of this fight I’ve never felt in a better head space,” Sanchez said. “It is not for the belt anymore, it is for the platform so I can get these people behind me so that I can find these people, get these people and eventually inspire them, motivate them and help them live healthier and live truly and more powerfully. This is something that’s going to happen with School of Self Awareness and myself. I’m set for life. With this other stuff going on, I’m not going to need fighting and how I finish my career will be on my terms.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...el-pereira-knee/amp?__twitter_impression=true
I don't like it, but he's right.

He should not talk about like he's a crazy warrior then. He's a crazy chicken now. And the "100k bonus" argument is just a way to downplay his bitch move
You turn down 100k for an illegal move someone else did that in turn guarantees that 100k to the bank......

I couldn't care less. The fact is this situation happened because the guy fouled him. I'm not going to penalize Diego for his opponent's lack of discipline
I think we're arguing 2 different points here. I'm stating Diego's lack of integrity to take the easy way out, while you seem to be saying Diego didn't lie to take the easy way out because Michel committed a foul... They aren't mutually exclusive.

Michel fouled him, then he lied about the effect to get the win.

I think we're arguing 2 different points here. I'm stating Diego's lack of integrity to take the easy way out, while you seem to be saying Diego didn't lie to take the easy way out because Michel committed a foul... They aren't mutually exclusive.

Michel fouled him, then he lied about the effect to get the win.

It wasn't a lack of integrity, he got fouled and made the right decision

All the people on here applauding a win via DQ make me laugh. Obviously never won anything in life so they have to celebrate a DQ vicariously through Diego <Lmaoo>

dude... thats some wishy washy stretch of interpretation there.

You have to look in the context of it all. And you already saw it but can't look past the reasoning? Well than thats on you. I've won my fair share of BJJ tournaments and still siding with Diego on this.

Exactly, except the ref should of taken it out of his hands and just called it. There is a point you need to protect fighter.

Back