Diego Sanchez at 145

He could probably go to 135, if Dana would allow Diego to play with Dan Quinn.

Holy crap!! The dude looked like a skeleton with chicken legs at 155. He's gonna look horrible at 145.

I really don't get it. Cutting extreme amounts of weight is not going to improve his mediocre skills in all aspects of MMA. He isn't losing because he's too small... he's losing because he has no striking defense, poor striking technique, and weak wrestling.

His chin, toughness, and cardio are his best assets and if anything he will be putting those at risk, along with his health, trying to make 145. He was a small WW, so I get dropping to lightweight... but lightweights are not overpowering him or anything, and he usually looks a little drained from even making 155. Why drop down again?

In a way you're making the point as to why he should drop to 145.

He's not a great athlete which isn't going to change and he's been in the game too long to change his skills drastically at this point, and even if he could somehow it would probably take a long time to do that so in order to stay competitive he needs to do what he can do which is be even larger relative to his opponents.

Extreme weight cutting works to the advantage of some fighters and to the disadvantage of others. If he can handle the weight cut to 145 then it will help compensate for his lack of skills and athleticism.

I have doubts that he can even make 145 and I still think he loses to Lamas regardless, but it's not as though there's no logic to drop down another weight class if he can.

Last edited:
Diego needs to hook back up with Dan "The Man" Quinn and get on that stevia again so he can get lean and ripped, playa.

It's crazy to think that the best Diego was around the time he fought Fitch and Koscheck (for the second time). He was an animal and a feared opponent.

Diego since dropping to lightweight has looked totally different. He dropped to lightweight due to being out-muscled by Fitch but back then, a lot of guys were also in that position yet that fight with Fitch was close..

I think if he can actually make 145 and look healthy, there is no excuse for Cyborg not making 135.

Except Cyborg is a ripped 170-175lbs while Diego is flabby at that weight, he did not used to cut much for 170 fights and was flabby for them. On top of that women can not cut as much weight as men and she is already cutting down to 145 and has missed that weight in the passed. It is almost as silly as saying why doesn't Aldo or Conor just cut down to 135 they already cut to 145.

you're all missing one major point... Diego was always kinda fat.. it is POSSIBLE that he shredded 8-10 lbs of fat and possibly is quicker and more lean because of it. I doubt it just saying.. We shall see I suppose.

I really don't get it. Cutting extreme amounts of weight is not going to improve his mediocre skills in all aspects of MMA. He isn't losing because he's too small... he's losing because he has no striking defense, poor striking technique, and weak wrestling.

His chin, toughness, and cardio are his best assets and if anything he will be putting those at risk, along with his health, trying to make 145. He was a small WW, so I get dropping to lightweight... but lightweights are not overpowering him or anything, and he usually looks a little drained from even making 155. Why drop down again?

Well said. Maybe he wants the dubious distinction of losing in 3 (or more) weight classes, a la Florian/JoeDaddy/BJ? Lastly, with IV rehydration soon to be banned, moving down in weight is probably a bad idea for anyone.

Lamas will beat the hell out of him then lose the decision.

I wonder if somebody is gonna finally sleep Diego? Not Ricardo but maybe Mendes

Back