Didn't know this bout belt color in BJJ.

Green Whale

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading something like this years ago but thought I'd post it. Found it from www.fightfactory.tv Explains what the color of each belt represents and signifies, I know this is pretty random info, but what the heck, you can impress your fellow students next time in class :D

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Kids (4-15)
White - Represents the beginning.
Yellow - Signifies Brazil's wealth in Gold.
Orange - Represents the gems of the Bragan

lol...ummm ok. that was pretty amusing.

i just thought they had belts because back in the day in like asia when they did battles and shit,they would wash the gi but not the belt and it would eventually turn black showing your experience

I think myth busters did this one a few weeks back.

Just a quick question I was curious about. Say I was 15 & reached Green belt, do I hold my green belt until I'm 16 and wait to become blue or do you have to re-wear a white belt until you are blue when you turn 16. I'm guessing wearing your green belt even after you turn 16 makes more sense but I don't know if traditionally you should go back to wearing a white belt.

Youll find out when you get there... you will probably be promoted to blue by the time your 16... your instructor will do as he see's fit.

if your a green at 15 youll be handed a blue at 16 you wont have to go back to white

but like my teacher said a belt just holds your gi together, now shut up and train !!!!!!

You will not go back to white you will most probably go to Blue or perhaps even purple.

perhaps even purple lol. you go to white.... then maybe blue real quick. you do not skip belts. you may be great against kids, but adults is another thing, if you're a green as a kid, its already hard to do, you'll get your blue real fast.

once at a tournament a kid (orange belt) went into my division, (adult blue superfeather). he was able to go there because at other tournaments he defeated blues. hard match, but i won. which means, although he's an orange, he's qualified for blue, but he's too young. when he's 16, he'll probably go to white, then after a week, a blue.

And what do the stripes on belts represent? Ah, yes, the vast herds of zebra in the Brazilian savannah. Oh wait, no.

You'll wear whatever the hell color your instructor tells you to wear.

nah nah, those colors dont mean all that, they just needed more colors so someone grabbed a handfull and those colors were chosen.... all random

Okay. About belt colors:

Jigoro Kano came up with them in the early 1900's. He invented ranking belts and the gi itself too.

The gi is modeled off the Japanese kimono. Originally people trained in their street clothes (kimonos). However these got ripped too easily, so Kano came up with a thick cotton gi to wear for training instead.

The kimono needs a belt to close it, so a gi does as well. At first everyone wore white gis with white belts. I guess they just picked white for some reason.

After a while, Kano came up with the idea of giving his dan grade students black belts. Again, he probably just thought black looked cool. So for a long time there were only two belts - white and black.

Kano did come up with the red belt idea. Since it's easy to get a black belt in judo, Kano thought that truly advanced judoka deserved to be more distinguished. Red and white panel belts and red belts were chosen for this because they are the colors of the Japanese flag.

The other colors came later because some people wanted more steps in between white and black. I don't think they really have any special meaning at all.

A lot of other martial arts copied the judogi and the idea of colored belts. BJJ is one of these arts. So I don't think the belts really mean anything in BJJ either.

johil d'o said:
And what do the stripes on belts represent? Ah, yes, the vast herds of zebra in the Brazilian savannah. Oh wait, no.

haha... good shit

NEwrestler said:
i just thought they had belts because back in the day in like asia when they did battles and shit,they would wash the gi but not the belt and it would eventually turn black showing your experience
That's an urban myth.

Sensei Kano introduced the Judo gi and the kyu/dan system to Japanese martial arts. Karate, TKD, BJJ, and all other arts got it from Judo.

Originally, there were two belts: White (kyu rank) and black (dan rank). Later, Kano noticed that it was very difficult for two kyu ranks to spar if the gap in the skill level was too large, so he introduced belt colours to be able to match his students better during training for randori, and so a 1st kyu didn't end up sparring a 9th kyu all the time.

Judo was practiced in gymnasiums, and not on grass, so the theory of belts getting dirty doesn't hold.

EDIT: Balto owned my ass here with a better explanation. Should have read the entire thread. Mea culpa.

eh,my myth atleast sounded cool to me,and the belts gettin dirty could have happened outside when they fought people not trained,if it was true anyway

Green Whale said:
Well it's not really skiping a belt. I've seen a kid go through the children colors and then go from Green right to blue. He didn't have to wear white again.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

Kron Gracie went straight from green to blue, and then quickly on to purple, all within 1 year.

So he would be a...14 year purple belt if he started training at age 2.

It sounds less impressive when you say 14 year purple belt.

Back