1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Did you know next year is the 50th anniversary of the invention of the boogie board

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by jeffk, Nov 16, 2020.

1. jeffk Brown Belt

Patti Serrano worked for Morey Boogie at the very beginning and would go around to different beaches with boards and had kids ride them and got them hooked. She later form a Morey Boogie Team that went around with here.

She is now interviewing professional bodyboarders from the 80s to 2000s on Facebook. I find it kind of interesting. The guy from the start are all still at it. Pat Caldwell is still hitting up Sandy's. Jay Reale still going at it at T Street ect. GT in now a lifeguard at Pipeline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

3. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

Never thought I'd see the day.

4. jeffk Brown Belt

Patti had a conversation with Marcello Pedro last week. On Wednesday she is going to talk to Manny Vargas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. clutchCAT420 Silver Belt

I consider it nostalgic. So 90s. My kids used to be on those things every time i took them to the beach.

jeffk likes this.
  6. hohner Titanium Belt

Of course I knew that. Who wouldn't know that?

judoka loca likes this.
  7. jeffk Brown Belt

8. Kb7 Black Belt

I still own one of Aka Lymans ELMNOP series boards. Pretty sure the performance is shot after years of use and sun damage, one of the best boards I ever owned

jeffk likes this.
  9. Fuzzybabyducks Duck/pricechopper

How old is the surfboard? What came first?

10. jeffk Brown Belt

Surfing was around a long time on the Polynesian Islands and Hawaii in particular. The boards didn't have fins and weren't like the surf boards today. And they also rode paipo boards that were like an early boogie board. I am not sure which came first. When white people came to the islands they saw the locals riding waves on different kinds and sizes of boards.

George Freeth and Duke Kahanamoku brought surfing from Hawaii to California in the early 1900s.

Before the boogie board in 1971, most people either surfed or body surfed or knee boarded. The paipo board wasn't that popular outside Hawaii.